anyone trying to GAIN weight?

Options
RaeLB
RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
I've always been small but I've been a proper weight for my height. I am on a medication though that made me drop 9 pounds & I can't gain it back. It suppresses your appetite & speeds up your metabolism. I've been using this site for about 2 weeks now & I've only met my calorie goal twice. I know the simple answer is to eat more but my appetite is suppressed so it's very difficult & I just end up feeling ill when I try to stuff myself. I think I need to get a concentrated amount of calories. I bought some ensure drinks. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Replies

• curlyclo
    curlyclo Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem at all but I would suggest foods that are high-calorie but small like nuts, peanut-butter, other forms of protein-packed food.
  • heidisbeeman
    Options
    Bump! I would love to hear any suggestions too!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Calorically dense foods

nuts

nut butters

full fat dairy

pasta

oils

ice cream
  • cemummy
    cemummy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hey, this might help my daughter (though only 2) struggles to gain weight and she has coeliac disease so her foods are limited.and ive been advised to give her pediasure (kids version of ensure) and to cook all her food in oil - ether avocado or flax seed, you can also add tablespoons of it to milk/smoothie drinks you can taste it. i was also told to do thick layers or avocado or pate or cheese on bread, and have a desert after every meal, so try 6-8 small meals a day and make each meal as calorie dense as possible :)
  • lhoppe
    lhoppe Posts: 10
    Options
    I have to constantly monitor my weight to stay above 130. I'll be putting myself at risk of osteoporisis, if I don't. I workout 4 days a week and like to keep busy. I had to change from 0% fat Greek Yogurt to full fat. I do like peanut butter and nuts, so that helps. I've been blessed with always having a high metabolism. It can make it difficult to gain muscle mass though.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Yep, calorie dense foods and no diet anything allowed. No sugar free or fat free.

I would eat pistachios. :D
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    6-SkippyNaturalPeanutButter.jpg
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    sees candies!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm on a bulk right now, I'm eating Iots of meat, PB, cake, pie, chocolate, cheeseburgers, pizza, cheesecake, etc
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Ensure, Boost, etc. Those are good, or protein drinks like the EAS Myoplex or something similar if you are looking for cheap ways to help. You could go with protein powders, too....Or just be a fat kid like me and eat pizza, cake, ice cream, peanut butter, etc to your hearts content. Choose more caloric foods when you make lunch, etc. Use heavy whipping cream in your coffee for more calories. Drink whole milk. Nom! I am the queen of gaining weight...lol
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Nuts for sure.

I'm trying to lose, but since I love running so much, I have trouble eating enough. So, when I'm not hungry, I try to drink calories.
    Chocolate milk, 200 cals in a cup. Eggnog, 300.
    And of course you could always go for soda.

Also, peanut butter. Just two tablespoons and you've got 200 calories, 7g protein, and the kind of healthy fat. Pistachios are nice to snack on, because what with taking off the shell, you're not so preoccupied with the fact that you're eating, but you're still taking in lots of calories. Plus they're nice and salty.

Also, sweet nutrition bars like Luna bars are good because they're yummy, small, pretty high-calorie, and meant to give you nutrients.

Good luck. :)
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'll try to add more protein packed foods into my diet.

All those fatty foods worry me though - thin doesn't = healthy on the inside! High cholesterol & heart disease run in my family...in relatively small people. I don't want to run into that problem some day! As it is though I have no problem reaching my fat intake every day (YAY cheese!), I can never reach the protein, carbs, & caloric goals though.

I'll try some of those suggestions, cheers! & Good luck with your goals.