what time is best to stop eating for the day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    What time is best to stop eating and what time do "YOU" stop eating for the day?

Whichever comes first:

1) I am out of calories.
    2) I am asleep.
    IF YOU EXCERSIZE, DO YOU EAT THOSE CALORIES TOO? OR DO YOU JUST FORGET ABT THEM AND CONTINUE AS IF YOU HADN'T EXCERSIZED?

I set up my own calorie intake and macro intake instead of letting MFP do it. I have a very good estimate on my TDEE and I trust it. Because of this, I don't bother to enter in exercise and I eat roughly the same intake every day, regardless of rest vs lift days.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    well.blogs.nytimes.com/.../late-night-eating-linked-to-weight-gain/

According to this study it is NOT good to eat at night.

Correlation=/=Causation.

Late night eating will lead to weight gain ONLY if it results in a caloric surplus.

Exactly...and last time I checked, I wasn't a mouse. There could be many factors that caused the mice to gain that aren't present in humans.

I know some people swear by not eating after 7:00 PM, but if I don't have a snack of some sort before bed, I wake up nauseous because I'm so hungry. I'm hypoglycemic, so regular eating is important for me. I don't gorge myself at that hour, but a low-cal snack is perfectly acceptable. It hasn't affected my weight loss in the slightest. I just save some calories for it; if it's only 100 calories, I have a 100-calorie mini-bag of popcorn and some water. If I have a little more, I might have some crackers and Laughing Cow cheese or a yogurt. If I have not saved the calories, then I just have to eat over a little and have carrot sticks or something.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I've eaten all or most of my calories. I try to eat something within an hour of going to bed, I wake up happier that way.

I lost around 60lbs in 8 months before logging onto MFP, so I must be doing something right.
  • qtcaro
    qtcaro Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I run out of calories which usually is before 8pm. Anything after that would be something I shouldnt have anyways. Learning so much with this app! Instead of snacking after 8 (since my kcals are usually gone already). I have a sleepy time tea and that just seems to kick any cravings:)
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    What time is best to stop eating and what time do "YOU" stop eating for the day?

Whichever comes first:

1) I am out of calories.
    2) I am asleep.
    IF YOU EXCERSIZE, DO YOU EAT THOSE CALORIES TOO? OR DO YOU JUST FORGET ABT THEM AND CONTINUE AS IF YOU HADN'T EXCERSIZED?

I set up my own calorie intake and macro intake instead of letting MFP do it. I have a very good estimate on my TDEE and I trust it. Because of this, I don't bother to enter in exercise and I eat roughly the same intake every day, regardless of rest vs lift days.

Same for me. It would also be impossible for me with a BMR of 2000 cal and exercises of 2500 to switch so much from a day to another. My goal is to have a healthy BMI, increase my metabolism by eating all the time (to the question "what time is best to stop eating for the day?", I would therefore tend to answer NEVER) and drink a lot of water. I need a lot of carbs to find energy to run, cycle or swim and proteins to avoid what I call canibalisation (losing weight through a decrease of muscle mass). There is no points in not eating at night as long as food is composed with fresh fruits (and vegetables if you like carrots, cucumbers, etc.). Since I never get hungry anymore, I keep on losing weight (I was around 100kg with quite healthy food while jumping meals)