breakfast cereal

Options

Replies

• Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    Anything that has no added sugar. Choose according to label :-) And if you can't handle no sugar, go for something that has the least and mix as others have mentioned. Take oatmeal for example. I add 1/2 of a banana or some blueberries and cinnamon. I may add a little of Jordan's cereal in there too. Try to choose cereal that have no added sugar/glocose-fructose. There's just SO much of it everywhere!
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about why special k would make you go over your protein target anyway as surely it's not high protein? The personal trainer I work with has said that we should ditch cereals for breakfast as they are carb based (mostly simple carbs - sugary and processed) and low protein and we should all increase our protein and eat protein based meals. The protein target he has given me is 1g per lb of body weight - MFP has not given me a much lower target so I do not worry about going over it.
    The only cereal type meal he recommends is oats but only non processed ones.
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everybody, most cereals, are not filling and have a lot of sugar, I read labels like crazy! I find if I buy special K , I want 2 bowls not 3/4 cup. I am currently eating oats, with equal and 1% milk...and a little butter spray. The best option for breakfast would be high protein ( dont pay no attention to MFP protein levels, too low) like tukey bacon and maybe an egg white omelet, and some fruit...This would keep you full, and it doesnt have a lot of carbs so you wont be craving more at 10am ! Golean is also a good choice..read all labels before buying
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    oatfit-oatmeal-kashi go lean..mmmmm
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    fiber one
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Reeses Puffs, Cocoa Pebbles, Cinnamon Burst Cheerios
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    i tend more toward the eggs/meat breakfasts, but if i'm wanting some cereal, oatmeal is my favorite.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your protein really low, you almost need to go over on it everyday to make sure that your body is losing fat and building lean muscle.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    definitely multi-grain cheerios! They're my favorite! :)))
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Another Kashi GoLean person here with a couple packets of stevia on top. :)
  • spottedlee
    Options
    I personally like cream of wheat,, if you look at calories for boxed cereral vs cream of wheat/oatmeal, it might be same or more calories BUT,, cream of wheat is FAR more filling,, Reason? both have serviing size of one cup BUT,, boxed cereral has so many "empty space" in that one cup, making it ACTUAL about 1/3 to 1/2 cup if crushed up. While cream of wheat/oatmeal fill up the whole cup... for that reason, you DO fill up more than boxed cererals.

I hope I explain it well... :ohwell:
  • happyhaunt
    happyhaunt Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I mostly have Fruit and Fibre, but I've recently bought multi-grain cheerios. I love oatmeal too!
  • curbnoise
    curbnoise Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Nom nom nom KASHI GOLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    not crunch, the regular kind.
    It's DELICIOUS, it has 13g of protein and 10g of fiber per cup. One cup is 140 calories.
    I mean, it doesn't taste like lucky charms, but it's lightly sweetened, and with some fruit in it it's just perfection. Nice and EXTREMELY FILLING. It is one of my favorite things to eat!

I love this stuff too!
  • livingaloha
    Options
    I love grapenuts or uncle sam's cereal with my unsweetened almond milk and a little truvia and fruit - its really yummy and both cereals are low in sugar and filling. Otherwise I like Oatmeal with fresh fruit
  • lexximan
    lexximan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    KIX!
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Curious, WHY are you worried about going over on protein???
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Nom nom nom KASHI GOLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    not crunch, the regular kind.
    It's DELICIOUS, it has 13g of protein and 10g of fiber per cup. One cup is 140 calories.
    I mean, it doesn't taste like lucky charms, but it's lightly sweetened, and with some fruit in it it's just perfection. Nice and EXTREMELY FILLING. It is one of my favorite things to eat!

AGREE! I mix my GOLEAN with a 1/2 cup of Vanilla Greek Yogurt and 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries! High in Protein/fiber and very very filling! and TASTY!

I do that, too-- just sprinkle 1/4 cup of Kashi Go Lean into a non fat Yoplait. YUM!

I also do it with rice krispies.

Thanks for the new cereal recommends! I usually avoid because cereal isn't very filling, but every now and then it works as a quick breakfast. :)
  • htmeadows
    Options
    I like the low sugar version of Quaker's Maple & Brown Sugar oatmeal and have that more than half the time. When I have dry cereal, I like any of the Chex brands or spoon size shredded wheat or cheerios.
  • Speedtrap
    Options
    I do the All-bran Bran buds, you know the ones that taste like cardboard. 1/2 cup or 28g.
    I put 100 g of Source 0% yogurt on them and they are fine, but I would never eat them on their own.

But it does keep me full until lunch and is quick and easy in the morning
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I started eating Cheerios (no added sugar, just plain) about a month ago for the mornings. I think it's a good cereal without a whole lot of calories and a whole lot of sugar. I am trying to get away from cereal though. I think I am going to start eating egg whites and oatmeal. I think oatmeal sticks with you longer than cereal, or so I've been told.