Medifast? Extreme dieting?

Options

Replies

• aweightymatter
    Options
    I didn't read this as a rant, and in fact found it interesting. Looks like they have vastly improved the food choices since I did Medifast. It's still very low-calorie though. It didn't work out for me, but I was in my early 20s and active and 800 calories a day really wasn't enough to sustain my daily life. Congratulations on your success and good luck with your journey!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! I think I'm going to go with majority and at least try to make a more honest effort with MFP. I just feel hopeless.. I know that's dramatic but geez I really do. Hopefully I can dig up some motivation! Thanks for the support!

It's a fad diet. If you can't learn moderation, will power and self control you will gain all the weight back. A more sustainable weight loss program would be eat healthy and in moderation, do not go over your allowed caloric intake and you will lose weight and keep it off.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I've been on Medifast since the end of June and have lost 43 lbs. I lost the rest on Weight Watchers. I don't like telling people I'm on Medifast because I feel like I'm cheating by not losing weight the "right" way, but my mom wanted to pay for me to do something where I didn't have to cook my own meals. I'm getting tired of some of the Medifast food, but since I work out almost every day I've been doing the 4&2 plan those days, so then I only have 4 of their meals. It can be pretty convenient to throw some meal bars in your purse if you know you'll be on the road for a while, and people have come up with tons of different recipes to use the Medifast products in that are pretty good. I'd say the best part for me is the convenience, because I work late and don't find a lot of time to go to the store, but I honestly can't wait to go back to eating normal food ALL the time. I learned a lot from Weight Watchers, and researched fitness and clean eating for the last 3 years, so I know what to do. My MFP tracker is set to the highest Medifast limits (1000 cals/100 g carbs/110 g protein/33 g fat), and I stay just under. I don't want to lose 5 lbs a week! Eventually I'll go off Medifast and just use MFP. I can't do some of the workouts I want to because even adjusting the calories to my calorie burn wasn't enough, and I almost passed out a few times. If it's convenience you need, then it's a good plan, but if that's not an issue, I'd stick with MFP.
  • JackieMac979
    JackieMac979 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that reading my perspective was interesting for a couple people.

It's a program that helps many, including myself, make healthy lifestyle changes. The physicians/scientists/nutrition support staff created the Lean & Green part of their 5&1 phase to help educate people in a strict weight loss phase about how to choose and eat better, and still have 'real' food. It's not a 'fad diet' in my humble opinion. How are regular portion controlled meals eaten at intervals throughout the day a fad? Their transition program before maintenance shows people how to add back in healthy foods, such as low fat dairy, fruits, starchy veggies, and carbs.

On Medifast, calories are NOT 600 a day. That misses the whole point of lean and green meal(s.) The calorie goal is 800-1000 a day for someone not doing more than 45 minutes of vigorous exercise daily. Yes, it is low calorie. That is not something ANYONE would dispute. But doing it at 500-600 calories a day is not following their program.

As for economical, well... I don't like seeing the lump sum charge per month for their food, but it's a heck of a lot better than what I would've done before having junk. I am not buying sweet/salty sludge which is a huge savings. I saw a dollar comparison to other programs once, which averaged several things (like $ per pound) and it came out to cost less than Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc.

There is a pretty good variety of 'packet' foods (some are dehydrated) but there are also bars, ready to drink shakes, etc. They often add new foods. I just tried 5 of the new products in my recent order (bites, cookie bake, orange drink, and the veg sloppy joe.) There is one food they offer that (to me) rivals a milkshake made by Bobby Flay, taste-wise. I could eat it 5x a day if I wanted, or I can mix it up. (And let me tell you... Bobby Flay makes some kick-*kitten* high fat milkshakes!)

I'm not a health coach, they don't pay me to say any of this, but I'm just writing to show more than 1 perspective. I also just found a MF group here on MFP for anyone following the program. If you are really interested, I recommend doing research to learn more about the program and whether you find personal truth in a lot of the common objections. It's not for everyone, but it has helped so many people. The success stories on the My Medifast board are amazing. I personally have MF buddies who have transformed themselves in a way that inspires me and I hope to replicate that success.

I wish everyone here lots of success and will support you all on your journeys, no matter what you choose to eat!

Jackie

/end rant #2 (lol, please no flames!)
  • 1FitBabe
    1FitBabe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have a friend on the medifast diet and it is the first time I have seen her in control. In the past she would practically inhale the bread and dressing. Now she is able to moderate her portions. She said it was because she is just not hungry.

Recently, we were at lunch and she told the waitress to take away the bread basket. I said...whoa...that is your diet. Not mine. I can eat what I want so long as I watch the calories.

It seems pretty restrictive and not something I could do. But it seems to be working for her. Only time will tell how it works in the long run.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Nothing like losing a ton of weight that includes fat and muscle. Only to gain back only fat again. Then repeat the horrid process over again and losing even more muscle in the process.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My in laws, my husband and I have all been on medifast for a year. We each have lost at least 100lbs. If you follow the diet as designed it will definitely work. But it is more than a diet it also has a detailed transition and maintenance plan. If you don't follow it, if you revert to your old eating habits you will gain your weight back. But that goes for ANY diet. Medifast has it's pros and cons. It can be considered expensive, I'm in the beslim club and my average monthly medifast expense for just myself is ~350$. But prior to medifast we spent alot of money on fast food, pizza, appetizers in general CRAP. So for us we are saving money. I've been able to get off my blood pressure meds. My husband who is a type 2 diabetic is off all of his diabetes meds, which is a HUGE savings per month. I have energy I feel good. It works for me. I will admit I do miss fruits and grains and higher carb veggies. But I will introduce those back during transition as I find out what and how much I can eat with out gaining. The diet is a ketogenic diet so you have to limit carbs so you stay in a fat burning state. If you have a lot to loose you will end up with loose skin for awhile because you loose so quickly. Some people have trouble the first week getting adjust to ketosis, though I didn't. There is a good enough variety in the foods and alot of recipes for repurposing the foods to make things like cakes, muffins etc. The meals are all very similar in macronutrient content. They are balanced for carb/fat/protien unlike other shake/meal replacement items. They are also each contain atleast 20% of 24 vitamins and minerals. The lean and green meal really helps you learn portion control and good choices. The calorie target is something like 800-950 with 5&1 and upto 1100? on 4&2. Because I added weight lifting I do supplement with protein. I definitely recommend it if you have the conviction to commit to the entire process.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    There is one food they offer that (to me) rivals a milkshake made by Bobby Flay, taste-wise. I could eat it 5x a day if I wanted, or I can mix it up. (And let me tell you... Bobby Flay makes some kick-*kitten* high fat milkshakes!)

Which one are you talking about??? You can message me back if you want. :smile:
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ok. I am on medifast and have lost 30 lbs. I gained weight because I was pregnant. Since I don't intend to spend the rest of my life pregnant, I don't plan to have the same food issues. I have a baby, and I like not having to make food for me except dinner. It is much harder to lose than to maintain, for me . I like the structure. I don't think it is a "fad" diet, but it is a diet. For those of you who assume that people trying to lose weight have always eaten badly, and will go back to "old habits" I respectfully beg to disagree. Some people gain weight because of physical ailments.

Medifast is not an "easy" way out. But for those of us who don't have 2 hours a day to go to the gym, it is an effective way to avoid being obese for years. I have found that I can be more active now that I am not carrying that extra 30 lbs around. I lost 2 lbs a week on average, not 10.

Also, I don't eat shakes. I like the bars. I have seen the other food, but like eating the bars every 3 hours, a big salad for lunch and fish with tofu noodles for dinner.

I am about to go from overwieight to a normal BMI. I was obese. And now I am not. So for what it is worth, that is my experience. Maybe I'll end up 300 lbs more than I weigh now, but it does seem to be working and giving me hope. To those of you who dismiss it, without trying it, I would like to say that what works for some people doesn't work for others.

And just to say, someone from work just started the program with her husband because of the progress that they have seen me make. She is adding it to her very healthy workout routine, which has stopped working.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have been Medifast since August 20,2011 and have tried 6 week body makeover,weightwatchers,and trying to do it on my own but was never committed!! So it was my fault. With Medifast I have found a way that for me is more strict and I like it!! I also read Dr. A's Habits of Health which has taught me so far why we need food and what it is intendid to do as well as how I was spiking my insulin levels and what role that played in my body. I am learning hoe my habits okay a role in my health so u see its not just about diet and exercise...its about adequate sleep,how u feel and what your relationship is with food and exercising,etc...On Medifast u learn how to achieve Optimal Health and when u have reached your goal weight u r taught how to maintain and transition your body back to eating starches,fruits,dairy,etc...u transition back up to 1500 cal+ so eventually u do get off Medifast its not a life long thing...it is up to u to stay on plan and do exactly as the program says to have success..if U r not successful with it its because u chose not to be...some will some wont some do some don't...It's a personal decision like anything so do your research. I wasn't disciplined enough back in Aug to do MFP and be in control of what I ate to that extent and I like only having to chose 1 meal a day and prepare it...for me it helps to have this structure...so don't knock what u don't know..don't knock what u haven't truly given time to work...Medifast will work if U do!! Success is past your comfort zone. When Medifast didn't work for u where were u still comfortable....and when u went off if it did u follow the transition plan 100%?
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Here's the dope....

95% of diets fail.

you got this way because you made poor food choices in the past, and now all you are doing is switching the decisions of what goes in your food from the fast food/ packaged food vendors to someone else who promises you weightloss.

All you are doing is shifting responsibility from one place to another instead of dealing with it yourself.

Using any program is just treating the symptom and not the disease.

FYI, I don't remember the last time I had fast food. I am on medifast.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    To add I have successfully lost 50.6 lbs in 17 weeks and 2 days and I did have slips along the way but even on those days where I wanted to give in to just eating whatever I learned that that's not healthy!!! U can't eat like that wether on Medifast or not and workout and expect to lose weight....no matter what u do give it 100% U don't want to do medifast fine...eat 6 small meals a day n 2-3 hour intervals and drink 64 oz of water a day...workout 3-5 times a week for 30-45min alternate with strength training 2-3 times a week...it boils down to are u committed it seems from reading your post that is the issue because u r not..its not to do medifast or not or wether it is extreme its wether u r ready to make a change to achieve Optimal Health n your life...Have u asked yourself why u aren't where u want to be weight wise. Do u enjoy the high carb high fat foods too much if so why? U have to find out what is underneath your actions and how to fix your habits so that u can achieve your goals if not u will lose weight n then gain it all back not because u were on a diet or fad diet or just a lifestyle change with MFP etc...its because u didn't understand your own process of WHY? Get healthy? WHY lose weight!!?
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    This is a great place and congratulations for getting on!

As with anything worth the time, do your research. Figure out why you lose the weight and then gain it back. Figure out what you like. Figure out what is important for you to keep and to give away.

A very good friend of mine went on the Medifast diet in early August. I came home from that lunch and looked it up. Alas, couldn't afford that. So, I came up with a plan, set a calorie limit and got down to it.

Another good friend of mine suggested MFP instead of charting it in an excel spreadsheet. That was 51 pounds ago. The weight came off and continues to come off. I'm just an average girl with a lot of weight to lose.

Here's the truth about weight loss...YOU can do this! Really, you can do this! We all have bad days, good days and great days. I have to tell you, that most of my days are great days...Yours will be too!
  • starscreensiren
    starscreensiren Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was on Medifast years ago - lost a lot of weight but gained it ALL back and more when I decided to eat normally again. The problem I had with it was that I enjoy being active, and it did not allow me to do so. It didn't work for me, but that is just my personal experience. Using MFP, eating sensibly, tracking all my food and working out has worked the best for me overall. Even though MF may cause you to lose weight quickly, you have to be very mindful about going off of it and really follow through on the maintenance phase, or else honestly it won't work and you are better off sticking to the old fashioned way of watching what you eat and exercise.
  • vholifield
    Options
    I'm also doing Medifast, I'm almost to one month and down about 28 lbs. Nothing else I've done prior has gotten me anywhere. I do at times feel like I'm spending too much money but I remind myself that I'm also not eating out as much, I'm not drinking soda - I'm even able to resist it being in the house as my husband is still getting it for him. In the past, if it was in the house, I'd drink it, case closed. For the most part, I'm not hungry but there are times I feel like I fail. There are times I feel dizzy but I'm not attributing it to the diet as of just yet - I've been getting dizzy spells recently since before the diet and I also have sinus issues, so that could be the cause as well. I'm not a real active person for the most part, I have numerous jobs that require sitting at this blasted computer a lot and I've never been real sporty to begin with. I do try to do some Wii Fit or Just Dance, though, the hard part is finding the time.
    If nothing else, I feel like this is going to give me the jump start I need.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice!! I think I'm going to go with majority and at least try to make a more honest effort with MFP. I just feel hopeless.. I know that's dramatic but geez I really do. Hopefully I can dig up some motivation! Thanks for the support!

It's your call, but whatever you choose, don't sit around and wait to be motivated. I know that can be a very long wait!

Set yourself small goals and celebrate small achievements. You might not be losing 15 pounds a month but if you are making healthy changes in your life, then ultimately they will add up into big outcomes.

My suggestion: commit to logging everything you eat for a week. You don't have change anything, just write it down.
    Then, pick one meal and commit to making that healthy. You could start with breakfast - make that a healthier choice and do that for a week.
    Then, find something active that you like to do (walk the dog, chase kids around, dance in front of the telly, play on the wii, go for a swim, learn belly dancing.... anything that gets you moving!) and commit to doing 15 mins of that each day for a week.

You can see how eventually you are going to end up so much healthier and ulitmately slimmer by making one little change at a time.
    Good luck!
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It boils down to more calories going out than in and COMPLIANCE. If you think the structure of the medifast meals might serve to keep you under your caloric goal for the day I say go for it. Different things work for different folks and it seems foolish to suggest that what did or didn't work for one might work or not for another anymore than my corrective lenses would give you 20/20 vision. I have tried the meals and some are certainly better than others. It isn't fine dining for sure but for someone like me that works 2 jobs, cares for ailing parents and a family of my own the conveniance has made the difference between making a bad choice and a good one on several occasions. Last week on my long commute I became very hungry and that meal bar kept me from whipping in somewhere for a less than optimal choice. I have a friend that does the 4 MF meals + 2 lean and green and and is seeing success though at a slower rate. Another lost all her weight in a more traditional manner and works out like a fiend. She uses the medifast meal bars for her snacks to control her craving for sweets which aids her in maintaining her weight loss. I guess my point is that one should listen to their individual, unique and amazing body. If something is not working, try something else. The most important thing that I know for sure is that no matter how you loose it you must not make the mistake of thinking you can go back to your former way of eating.
  • dpedi
    dpedi Posts: 37
    Options
    I really appreciate all of the feedback from everyone.... It's interesting to hear about different peoples experiences! Good luck on all your weight loss journeys!! Thanks for all the advice,
  • kellybrownsays
    Options
    I tried MediFast a few months ago and in my opinion it's not a healthy or economical way to go.
    Medifast is actually cheaper than a lot of the programs out there (including WW) and it has more benefits (counseling, dietician services, etc).
    They are 100 calorie meals so you are eating below 600 calories a day.

This is not true. MF meals range from 90-130 calories. You are supposed to eat 800 to 1000 calories a day. Yes, the Medifast meals are low calorie but you get the largest bulk of calories from your Lean & Green meal - which you can also split up throughout the day to satiate hunger.

Its the only program that works for me partly due to the structure. In 10 months I've lost 73 pounds. That's an average of just under 2lbs a week - a completely healthy and reasonable expectation for weight loss.

additionally the structuring of this program has allowed me to address the issues that contribute to my obesity. I've had many, many off plan days in which I ate whatever I pleased. But thanks to the structure of MF I'm in the process of conquering my obsessive binge eating...the reason most of us are here anyway. My off plan days are never a free for all disaster and I've never had a weight gain due to off plan days.

@dpedi (and anyone else) - if you want real, honest opinions and facts about this program I'm happy to speak to you about it at length. Medifast might not be for everyone but it works for many.

the reason diets fail "95%" of the time is because people don't take the time to truly address their eating habits. tracking your food is a fantastic tool. But until you start asking yourself WHY you stopped caring about yourself and eating your way into an early grave, you will not conquer obesity. It is entirely possible to lost weight on ANY diet plan and maintain it for the rest of your life. additionally, those that regain on medifast either didn't do what I just talked about OR they didn't follow the transition and maintenance plan. Medifast also teaches you how to transition and slowly re-introduce healthy, real world foods back into your diet.
  • Petria
    Petria Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm on Medifast too, and am down 50 pounds and 99 inches. I love it, it's easy for me, and it works and has motivated me to work out and have a much healthier lifestyle. I went from going out, drinking, eating terribly, to hiking, taking barre classes, eating clean, and cutting alcohol out completely.

However, I would recommend paying the money and going to a local center. My contract with Medifast started 8/2011, and ends 5/2013. After I lose the weight, they will contractually see me weekly for 1 1/2 years (18 months) after to make sure that I am not gaining back, and to help me get a handle on nutrition and how to make good, low cal choices. They structure it this way so that you don't go off and gain all the weight back, and to me, that's the best feature of the program.

On a typical day I eat 5 bars, every 2.5 hours, drink a gallon of water, and eat a "lean and green" meal. For my meal, I usually eat a Jimmy John's 'unwich' - basically a sandwich without the bread.

In the centers, they will do a monthly body scan that measures fat and muscle. Two months ago, mine showed that I was losing too much muscle for my activity level and diet. Immediately they upped my protein intake and adjusted the diet for me, and as of my last scan, my muscle is up, and my fat is down. The monitor everything, and I really like that. Going to the center weekly and being accountable has been a huge blessing, and I have an entire office of people cheering me on.

For me, it's been a huge blessing, and I'm excited to lose another 20 pounds. I truly couldn't have done this without their support and accountability. I would recommend it to anyone looking to lose weight and keep it off.

Best of luck.