Reporting child abuse?

Options
Tailea
Tailea Posts: 84 Member
I don't even know if you can report this kind of thing, but I just saw a woman in my apartment building's parking lot beat the crap out of her little boy. He was on the ground crying and she was literally kicking him and screaming. :mad:

I wrote down her car's plate but I don't know her name, just that her kid stays with the woman who lives on our first floor during the day.

Is it even possible for me to call someone about this? I don't feel right just sitting here doing nothing...

EDIT: I called the police and they said they will look into it.

Replies

• Tailea
    Options
    I don't even know if you can report this kind of thing, but I just saw a woman in my apartment building's parking lot beat the crap out of her little boy. He was on the ground crying and she was literally kicking him and screaming. :mad:

I wrote down her car's plate but I don't know her name, just that her kid stays with the woman who lives on our first floor during the day.

Is it even possible for me to call someone about this? I don't feel right just sitting here doing nothing...

EDIT: I called the police and they said they will look into it.
  • alifelessevident
    Options
    if she was kicking the child yes i would report it- i'm not against spanking a child- but kicking a child thats on the ground is way beyond that
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't know what can be done, but I know I would call child social services and see what the options are.
  • cheermom11
    cheermom11 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    YES!!! You need to report this. Call your local Department of Human Services right away. You can even remain anonymous.

If that woman does those things in public, imagine what she does behind closed doors.
  • mizzymiz
    mizzymiz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    That's horrible. Unfortunately, I've had to report abuse that I've seen around my neighborhood before as well.

This link will give you the national and local CPS numbers for your state. It's always anonymous if you choose.

http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/childabuse/a/reporting_abuse.htm

Good for you for doing something! :heart:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think it should be reported.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Please contact your local PD immediately. The local PD will pursue it further in regards to CPS.

To ignore that type of abuse would be unacceptable.
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I say report it! No child deserves that. Punishment is one thing but that is down right abuse!!! The police can use the plate number to track her down. You would feel awful if in a few days you see a story on the news about this child and you know you could have stepped in. Please call!!!!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    no brainer here...REPORT IT
  • TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think you already knew what you should do before posting. Call your police or social services. That poor kid. Thank god you saw
  • Tailea
    Options
    I called the police department and the man who took down the info asked me a TON of information about myself, too. I'm paranoid he's going to tell this woman that I made the call about it.

Are they even allowed to tell people who called? I'm glad they're looking into it but I don't want this kind of person knowing anything about me.
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Report it to CPS immediately. Tell them exactly what you saw and what information you know. If the child is in the care of someone else in your building, its more than likely they will question that person about who this person is if they cant trace the vehicle information. Like I said, explain to Child Protective Services exactly what you saw, when you saw it and what information you have.

You can stay annonymous so your neighbor or the person who was abusing the child wont know it was you that made the report.

Its a horrible thing to witness, but unfortunately you did. If you even need to ask the question...or it raised an eyebrow and made you go "hmmm thats just not right", you should report what you saw. The state will flag the call according to guidelines and also look at past CPS reports against that person. You never know if they have been reported before, you could be saving that childs life!

Best of luck
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    soupnazi is as usual, 100% correct. call the police. **** CPS. they do nothing. I reported a woman I know who had hit her kid inthe head with a bamboo shoehorn until his scalp split open and bled and it left a scar- CPS interviewed, the kid verified that his mother dit it to him, and they told her basically - don't do this again. left him there in the house with her.

I'm sorry I usually don't swear, but CPS is useless.

Call the police, report what you saw.

NOW<
    !
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you reported it.
    It's actually your duty as a United States citizen to report even the suspicion of child abuse.
    I cannot imagine the cops will divulge your info to this woman.
    But take solace in knowing you may have just saved that little boy's life. :heart:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    OMG! This is really really bad, and though I never condone *kitten* kickings....honestly I would have been down there kicking someones *kitten* with the police department on my cell......so that being said, if the child is there during the day, that says to me that maybe that child is being cared for during the day by someone in your building???.....so that means this woman will have to come back tomorrow likely? Do you recall the car? Call your local PD and talk with the desk seargant about options, give the woman's description, License Plate # and let them know that you think this child is being cared for during the day in your building. Regardless if you have the license # they can track the car. And if you see her again, call the PD again and again.......the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I was an abused child, my mom was an abused mom and people looked away when we were hurt.......mom is dead because of it, don't look away, if his momma won't protect him. YOU HAVE TO!

:mad:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I called the police department and the man who took down the info asked me a TON of information about myself, too. I'm paranoid he's going to tell this woman that I made the call about it.

Are they even allowed to tell people who called? I'm glad they're looking into it but I don't want this kind of person knowing anything about me.

They ask you alot of questions to determine if you have a relationship with this person outside that may make you be bias against her (ie a pissed off friend). It is not good to take a child from a parent when the parent is NOT guilty and that has not done anything wrong.

They will likely put you in the hopper as a witness if they need you.

Good job reporting.
  • Tailea
    Options
    Call your local PD and talk with the desk seargant about options, give the woman's description, License Plate # and let them know that you think this child is being cared for during the day in your building.

I told them all of this. I was really flustered though because I can't even remember the color of the car because I was so upset about what was going on after I got the plate # down that I just went to my fiance (who had just come home from work right after the woman pulled out of my parking lot) and asked him where to find our PDs #.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    you did the right thing. the police will actually investigate and DO something. CPS is a dead end, don't bother.

You should feel proud of yourself that you did the right thing, even tho you were scared. the police will not divulge your info to her, they will just say "it has been reported".

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • Tailea
    Options
    Just a note, this isn't the first time I've had to call the police about stuff going down in my parking lot. Last year there was a group of adult men making lewd comments to the 15 year old girl who lives across the hall from me, and she was trying to walk away from them but they kept grabbing her and laughing. After that happened I called the police and found out that there are registered sex offenders in my building :noway:. One of the guys who was involved in that is always standing around outside smoking with the woman who watches the little boy I saw getting hit today. Thank god our lease is up in April and we can get out of here!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Yep child protective usually meets the child at daycare or school anyhow.....