Royal Caribbean 7 Day Cruise..Help!!

Options
I will be leaving for a cruise on Dec 11-19...this is my very first one. While I am excited about going, I am a little
apprehensive about all the food:sad: . Any suggestions for me as far as logging. I have gotten some opinions but I'm open
to new ones...btw, I am taking my laptop. I will have access to the internet but I don't know how much I will use it. Not sure
of the fee yet.. Any experienced cruisers out there? Help!!

Replies

• Heatherz131
    Options
    I love cruising and the portions on the ships I've been on have always been sensible! There is always the good old stand by of salad, jsut avoid any 'bad' dressings and your waiter can always just make sure you get a small portion if you think it's too big! But be carsful of afternoon tea etc and the midnight buffet...they do try to feed you 24 hours a day - but there are also great work out oportunities so if you do ahve a bad day, just up the exercise the following day! But most important - enjoy it, you've earned a break!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Cruising isn't as bad, diet wise, as most people think. It can be bad, but you have ready access to great food choices. You'll have grilled fish, chicken and beef available at almost every meal. You can make bad choices, but you don't have too.

Also, you'll do a lot of walking which will help too. I always try to take the stairs, instead of the elevators. I also try to challenge myself to walk up the stairs from the bottom floor to the top floor.

I always try to challenge myself to see how much weight I could lose on a cruise. My best cruise; I lost 17 pounds in 14 days.

Enjoy the cruise; just make great choices.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine went on one recently an said there's loads to do you don't have to sit around eating all day- there are gyms, swimming pool etc & you can get off at the various stops and walk around loads.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I ate tons on my 14 day cruise. You walk sooo much you burn it off. Stick to water and don't deny yourself. Its not an every day event
  • Leaker12
    Options
    I will be going on one in Jan. I have been on 2 other cruises, and like everyone told you, eat sencible, drink tons of water, and you get so much exercise from walking to this place and that, that you really do loose what you eat. If not they do have a gym on the ship. Just have a great time
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    At the end of the day... its 1 week, you're on holiday!
    Okay don't completely gorge yourself but i wouldn't be so harsh on yourself either

its 1 week, it didn't take you 1 week to gain the weight :)

Hope you enjoy your cruise!
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    My husband and I love to cruise and the food is outstanding!! We always take the stairs and walk every where. The stairs can be tough after awhile but it's worth it. We always get quite a workout from them. I usually gain something because of all the drinking. It's hard not to gain on a cruise so you might as well enjoy yourself. Walk every where on board the ship and take advantage of the gym. Have a great time!! :flowerforyou:
  • julie204
    julie204 Posts: 130
    Options
    DO YOU KNOW WHAT I WOULD JUST GO AND ENJOY WORRY ABOUT THE WEIGHT WHEN YOU GET BACK I WOULD LOVE TO AFFORD A CRUISE AND IF I DID I WOULD NOT BE WORRING ABOUT WEIGHT JUST GO AND RELAX AND ENJOY HAVE A GREAT TIME :drinker:
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    ditto what people said above. The great thing about cruises is that you have such a HUGE variety of food. you can eat super healthy even when you're on the boat.

My recommendations: eat a super healthy breakfast and lunch, and then just enjoy dinner (supper time on cruises are usually the best, imo)

Like others said, take the stairs, go for a swim, at port of calls, get out and walk around! This is easy to do because a number of ports have a bunch of shopping areas (tourist traps, of course). Do off-boat excursions and do ones that challenge you! We went snorkeling and climbed mayan ruins while others were doing a "lazy river tubing".

Also, most ships offer morning yoga or other fitness class first thing in the morning and most likely your ship will have a state of the art gym that you can use!

I'm going on a cruise in August and i absolutely can not wait to go! I went last year and had a blast, didn't gain anything. Enjoy your food and drink, and remember, it's only one week. It's easy to make poor choices, but honestly, it's just as easy to make great ones too! HAVE FUN!!!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I just got back from one and I put on 4 pounds and ate and drank beer every night. My routine was to get on the track in the morning and get at least a 3 to 5 mile run in and then get on the elliptical. I managed to burn 1500 calories every day in my workout but I know I ate and drank about 5000 calories a day. I did not hold back but I watched what I did. Drink as much water as you can and enjoy. I am back one week now and I lost the 4 pounds I put on.
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    I agree, don't deny yourself. I am of the mind that life is short, why spend opportunities like this worrying about how many calories you ate? Get back on the wagon when you come home, and realize that while on vacation you will be a lot more active.
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's your first cruise! Get some exercise and eat what you want within moderation. If you're up a few pounds when you get back then you take those pounds off when you get back. Don't let food anxiety ruin your trip.
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We love cruising....the food is good and in proportions...I actually have lost about 2 pounds every cruise. We walk and take the stairs everywhere. Sometimes we take advantage of the work out room. There is just so much to do, you never sit still. Just enjoy it!!!
  • babykanguruh
    Options
    We love Royal Caribbean Cruise Line! No worries, you can sit down to a fancy dinner every night, and there is a lite line available on the menu that is still elegant yet filling. They will have a bread and butter basket at beginning of meal, but you are on vacation, so don't deny yourself too much! The lite line option (you can order only some off the lite line or your whole meal) even has dessert, so you won't feel deprived. Focus on the lovely experience, and if you want that special dessert or dinner that isn't on the lite line, go ahead and enjoy it! There are lots of things to do to make up for it if you are concerned, like free exercise equipment that looks out over the ocean, special aerobics or yoga classes (fee) and massages and facials you can pay for. Also, there's the swimming pools, basketball courts, depending on your ship there could be a rock climbing wall. When you dock, there are beaches for swimming and really cool places to walk around and explore, shop and burn calories. Have a great time, wish I was going with you!
  • Granny1227
    Options
    Great question! Thanks for all the advise! I too am CRUISING TOMORROW! First cruise and can hardly wait!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would tell you to absolutely enjoy yourself. You are now walking in a new lifestyle, so follow what you been doing in your new lifestyle, enjoy water, pick items that are sensible but indulge when you want to and stop eating when you are satisfied. If you want a piece of dessert and you are not full, grab a glass of water and enjoy it savoring every bite!!! AND walk, do classes, dance, have FUN!!!! And then go into beast mode when you come home:-)
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I ate what I wanted and LOST 3 pounds on our last cruise. If you are going to be active and doing lots of activities, eat what you want within reason. Enjoy the food- you have paid for it. Just don't go overboard (bad pun).
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I will be leaving for a cruise on Dec 11-19...this is my very first one. While I am excited about going, I am a little
    apprehensive about all the food:sad: . Any suggestions for me as far as logging. I have gotten some opinions but I'm open
    to new ones...btw, I am taking my laptop. I will have access to the internet but I don't know how much I will use it. Not sure
    of the fee yet.. Any experienced cruisers out there? Help!!

Royal Caribbean really tries to give you healthy options! I just took a cruise on their line in May. Every night for dinner, they have a certain meal that stays under a certain amount of calories (granted, their "healthy" is actually around 750 calories for the meal, but that's with a few courses). But at least you can track what you're eating! And they always have healthy breakfast and lunch options.
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    From their website, "Menus feature VitalityTM items, which are lower in fat, as well as vegetarian options and a selection of kids' favorite foods. Kosher meals are also available if arranged in advance. Menus change daily throughout your cruise and can vary from ship to ship. We also modify dishes seasonally to use the freshest ingredients available."
  • alhoward8
    Options
    I would not count on getting online to log your calories. Cruise ship internet is at dial-up speed and they charge you by the minute (they do offer packages at a slight discount).

As others have said there are a TON of options, from egg white omlets to french toast. I would recommend enjoying yourself but trying to at least make "better" choices even if they aren't the "best" choice.

Take advantage of the stairs, jogging track and gym (warning that group classes may have a charge) but you can't really use the pools for exercise. They are too small and too crowded. :)

I'm going on another cruise in June which is one of the reasons I want to lose weight. LOL