10lbs in 10 days???

Options
Hi

So, i started MFP again 10days ago... I've cut out the s*it ive been eating and im making myself walk a bit more but not doing "exercise"... and I've lost 10lbs in 10days.... i don't feel as "flubby" but this seems a bit excessive as usually i'd loose 2lbs a week!! Is it possible to be true?!

Chels

Replies

• Hollie_downunder
    Options
    Thats huge for 10 days!
    are you sure your scales were correct when you first weighed yourself?
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    yeah I've checked on two different scales.... its odd!!
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I lost 8 lbs in the first week that I was using MFP in ernest. I believe 10-in-10 is possible, at the beginning, if you have really altered your diet etc.
  • amymaria91
    Options
    That is a lot to lose!

What are you like for drinking? Are you drinking more water in the past 10 days? Maybe some of the loss could be water weight, although not all 10 pounds would be water
  • semhe
    semhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    most likely its water weight that your body was storing, I lost about the same in my first week, trust me, it slows down and can be depressing
  • KarlDR
    KarlDR Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That is quite a lot, but it could be down to a combination of reduced water retention, as well as actual fat loss. There is also the possibility that you are weighing yourself at different ends of your normal weight fluctuation. Most people's weight fluctuates by a couple of pounds or more naturally during a day, so if you weight yourself at the upper end of a fluctuation at the start and the lower end at the end that could be contributing. Although I am much more overweight than you, I've lost similar amounts in a week in the past when going from a particularly unhealthy diet to a super-healthy one. I wouldn't worry too much unless you keep losing weight at this rate, in which case I'd see a doctor.
  • Stormyyy
    Stormyyy Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 n a half lbs in my first week and 2 and a half in my 2nd so 8lbs in 2 weeks for me, so yeah it does happen, it's alot slower now but still coming off..

Goodluck and keep at it :)
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    It's mostly water weight. After your body gets adjusted to the new eating habits, you'll even out at a 1-2 pound a week loss. But congrats on the 10 pounds, even if it was mostly water!
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    never happen to me i wish i can lose 10lbs in in 10 days. i gained 4lbs in one day but later that night i lost the 4lbs because it was water weight. :)
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    It is very possible, when you are just starting your journey, alot of it could be water weight, over time it should reduce to 1-2 pounds per week and then over time it may lessen even more, when that happens to key is to not get discouraged, it happens to most of us

Goodluck
  • Rosbrook1985
    Rosbrook1985 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

I managed 7 in my first 7 and everyone was telling me it was unhealthy (trust me, the food was anything but!!) and that I must be harming myself and starving myself.

Fully expect it to slow but was concerned that I was doing something wrong as i've never had a loss that fast before!
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    A lot of that weight was probubly water weight. Every time I have ever started a diet, I lose a lot in the first week or 2. Especially if you are 40+ pounds over weight, it's not crazy to lose a significant ammount in the first few weeks. Don't expect that to continue, though!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I lost 13 pounds in the first 2 weeks, then only a half a pound the next week. It CAN be normal to lose alot at first.
  • jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been on mfp for 5 days and weigh exactly the same as the day i started. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Wtg on the 10pound loss!
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Definitely not impossible or unheard of at the very beginning when your body is adjusting, especially for people starting off with a lot to lose. I lost 11.2 pounds my first week eating about 1400 calories a day and no exercise, but I started at 257 and like most people said, that first week or two is a lot of water weight.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I would definitely say the water retention in your body has reduced dramatically. Cutting out the "bad" foods means you've probably cut a significant amount of sodium out of your diet. Sodium retains water which in turn gives you bloating and also a higher number on the scale.

My first week on MFP I lost 4 lbs. Losing weight seems to go very fast at first! That's all your water weight and then when things slow down and you lose maybe 1-2 lbs a weeks, that is when you're actually burning off "fat" or real lbs....whatever you want to call it.

Keep up the good work. I bet it will slow down for you, but I hope you still have success! Let me know how it goes :-)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a big win to me! Your challenge now is going to be keep using the MFP tool and keep the weight coming off... Good luck!
  • happyb3
    Options
    Does anyone know how much water weight in general a person can lose when they first start out?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    10lbs equates to 35,000 fat calories in 10 days. I'm sure you didn't burn that much. So mostly water, some fat and some lean muscle were lost.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition