How do you stay on track?

Options
I have only just started MFP on Sunday and already today I fell off the wagon so to speak. I was going really well until about 4pm when I was hungry and I justified it to myself to just let go for the rest of today and I can get back on track tomorrow. I am feeling really dissapointed in myself but am resolved to let it go tomorrow and just get back on with it but am curious how other people deal with this when it happens to them.

Replies

• clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I think that you answered your own question without really meaning to: you get back on track. I know that I mess up A LOT. I find that a couple things help me.
    1.) track it. Even though you're "letting it go," make yourself track all the food you eat, so that you have a visual picture of what you're doing
    2.) don't wait until tomorrow. Yes, you shouldn't have had those 6 gingerbread men (personal experience), but don't follow that up with buttered popcorn, chocolate cake, etc. Realize that you need to get back on track NOW, not tomorrow after doing even more damage.
    3.) be realistic. Even after you reach your goal, and you are in maintenance, you are going to be living life, and will be met with temptation. Some of them you will resist and sometimes your will power will fail you, but that doesn't make you a failure.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Clem gave some fantastic advice. She's 100% right. Recognize that you messed up, and get back on track immediately. There's always tomorrow, but now is a better time to make the change!

Everyone messes up, and if they tell you they don't, they're lying. No one is perfect. The trick is to try to be as perfect as possible, and limit those days when you fall off the wagon. Don't justify ANYTHING to yourself in regards to eating poorly. The fact that you had the internal struggle shows that you knew it wasn't helpful for you -- so keep telling yourself, "a minute on the lips, a lifetime on the hips."
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I think that you answered your own question without really meaning to: you get back on track. I know that I mess up A LOT. I find that a couple things help me.
    1.) track it. Even though you're "letting it go," make yourself track all the food you eat, so that you have a visual picture of what you're doing
    2.) don't wait until tomorrow. Yes, you shouldn't have had those 6 gingerbread men (personal experience), but don't follow that up with buttered popcorn, chocolate cake, etc. Realize that you need to get back on track NOW, not tomorrow after doing even more damage.
    3.) be realistic. Even after you reach your goal, and you are in maintenance, you are going to be living life, and will be met with temptation. Some of them you will resist and sometimes your will power will fail you, but that doesn't make you a failure.

This!
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself for the marathon not the sprint. You're fine. :flowerforyou:
  • ellenandshane
    ellenandshane Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is good to hear that I'm not the only one struggling to stay on track! You have all given great advice, thanks!!
  • ellenandshane
    ellenandshane Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It is good to hear that I'm not the only one struggling to stay on track! You have all given great advice, thanks!! :wink:
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Look thru my diary and you'll find Oreo's and pumpkin bars and lots of stuff that would be considered unhealthy. BUT... throughout my weight loss journey, I have never had a week where I have gained weight. I have had a few weeks when I didn't lose, but I can live with that. I know that I enjoy some sweets now and then and I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I won't eat them. I just do it much more responsibly now. Instead of eating 10 Oreo's, I'll eat 2.
    It's all about learning to manage the things you love and fitting them in here and there.
    I do eat lean meats, poultry, fruit and vegetables daily though. I also exercise almost every day.
    It's a life change. It won't happen over night but stick with it and it will come to you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Consistency. Consistency forms habits.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I have only just started MFP on Sunday and already today I fell off the wagon so to speak. I was going really well until about 4pm when I was hungry and I justified it to myself to just let go for the rest of today and I can get back on track tomorrow. I am feeling really dissapointed in myself but am resolved to let it go tomorrow and just get back on with it but am curious how other people deal with this when it happens to them.

Why are you hungry at all?
    Are you set to 1200 calories?
    You should never be hungry on a diet because you are eating the proper amount of proteins, fats and carbs!
    In that order of importance!

and dont be afraind to eat "bad" food...if it fits your macros!
    Friend me for support!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up about it. It takes awhile to form habits that you follow without thinking about them. I find I do MUCH better at this if I make only 1 or 2 changes at a time. Choose those changes and strive to make them work for you this week. They might just be to stay at your calorie goal no matter what you eat and to get in your 8-8oz glasses of water. Then choose something new to add next week and so on. Before you know it you'll have made a ton of changes. I find that I do much better at this when I allow myself some of my weaknesses now and again. So plan for those times and enjoy them. Remember, slow and steady wins the race!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Do not be hard on yourself :-) I had a bunch of Hershey's candy last night if that makes you feel any better. Its ok not to be perfect on your weight loss. Who's in a race here? Take your time and recognize your mistakes. I have been told in as little as 3 days you can curb your cravings. Try to stay away from sweets that has the dangerous sugars. Your appetite will change! It's amazing.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Look thru my diary and you'll find Oreo's and pumpkin bars and lots of stuff that would be considered unhealthy. BUT... throughout my weight loss journey, I have never had a week where I have gained weight. I have had a few weeks when I didn't lose, but I can live with that. I know that I enjoy some sweets now and then and I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I won't eat them. I just do it much more responsibly now. Instead of eating 10 Oreo's, I'll eat 2.
    It's all about learning to manage the things you love and fitting them in here and there.
    I do eat lean meats, poultry, fruit and vegetables daily though. I also exercise almost every day.
    It's a life change. It won't happen over night but stick with it and it will come to you.

^^^^ This! if you get off track it could happen, none of us are perfect. Recognize it, track it... ask yourself if you were actually hungry or maybe you were thirsty and should have had water? or if it was just temptation you couldn't resist. examine why and look to fix that part in your head that is telling you to have X Y or Z when you're not really hungry. It's ok to have a treat now and then but not 10, like is said above...
    just agree that you messed up, don't beat yourself up and do better tomorrow. that's how i get through.
    thanksgiving did not go very well. but i started out this week saying i would not gain anymore weight and would get my eating back in check.
    when in doubt, drink a glass of water. :)
  • lexxhope
    Options
    I'm struggling with that too. How can I resist laziness and temptation? Last week I was so good about my eating habits and going to the gym, but after celebrating my birthday- I never went back.
    I agree with Clem. Even if it's a cheat day, record it. Don't put it off.
    It's totally normal, but just keep going. You can do it. I'm getting back on track today. I'm looking up motivational quotes and stories to get me back into a swing. Good luck with everything!
  • kittzle
    kittzle Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    “To succeed you must first improve, to improve you must first practice, to practice you must first learn, to learn you must first fail.” ~Wesley Woo

Read this post earlier, and just came across this quote. Think of falling off track as strenghtening yourself for the future :)
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting back on track NOW, don't wait until tomorrow. Everyone slips now and then, and that's ok. It's how you react to that slip that will allow you to succeed.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think of my day 1 picture when I was 151 pounds!
  • pollylouwho
    Options
    The past few months have been a slow but simmering pity party. I have had challenging health issues and have let those over ride my choices. Eating is an issue that I fight over in my head. The day time I am on target. It is when the afternoon& night time comes that I give myself permission to graze. So today is change up day. I go to the gym almost every day. I need to drink more water. I will focus on the positive. I will not beat my self up. This life is a marathon. I have had success before. I need to be successful on my own and not under the blanket of a supervised program. I only want to go back to that tool if I get ridiculous. Just venting because the work is hard. so many miles in the gym and the befits are important. If only there was a way to bottle endorphins. The holidays make it hard. I will get it right. The fight to control my weight has been one big plague. I will NEVER GIVE UP.... :flowerforyou: