Choosing how many pounds per week

Options
Hi everyone!

I'm pretty new to this and have been struggling with how many pounds a week to set my weight loss. I'm 5'11" and weigh 174. I'd like to get down to 155-160 so I don't have that much to lose overall. I started out having my goal at 1 pound a week which allowed me 1620 calories. I liked this at first because I really didn't feel deprived at all but it still kept me in line. Lately, I've noticed that especially adding in daily exercise I have a decent amount of calories left at the end of the day which I then tend to blow on unhealthy choices (that extra glass of wine, cookies before bed, etc). So, today I changed it to 1 1/2 pounds a week and that gives me a little over 1300 to spend before exercise.

What has worked best for you and do you find yourself changing the goals to tweak things like your calorie allowance as time goes on?

Replies

• MommaFuhrer
    MommaFuhrer Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear some answers to this too! :happy:
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    Options
    1 -2 pounds a week is best. That is what all the professionals will tell you. And even though we have a set number of calories we need to remember that not all calories are created equal. I eat my cheat foods sometimes, but I know how much work it takes to burn set numbers of calories. I have honestly thought before "this snickers is 270 calories, I would have to hit the elliptical for like 45 mins to get rid of that....is it worth it?" And sometimes it is ;)
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    For the amount of weight you need to lose (being little) I would set it to 1 lb per week or leave it at the pound and a half where you have it.
    Make sure you're entering your calories and exercise as accurately as possible. I measure and weigh my food whenever possible. Calorie counting is all based on estimates and you can estimate much better when you know exactly how much you're consuming. If you have a heart rate monitor, I would be sure to use it to measure your cardio workouts for a more accurate estimate. If you don't have one, sounds like a great Christmas idea. Polar is the highest recommended brand on MFP.
    Try to stick with lean meats and poultry and fresh fruits and veg whenever possible. Processed foods are the devil. :laugh:
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i started mfp at 151 lb with my goal weight to be anywhere between 135 - 139. i am 5'8". i initially set my weight loss goal at 2 lb a week giving me 1200 calories. i lost weight for the first couple of weeks and then gained and lost the same weight over and over plus i was always starving. i then revised my weight loss goal to 1.5 lb per week and was given 1320 calories per day. situation remained the same as previous, kept losing and gaining the same weight over and over plus was hungry most of the time. i later revised my weight loss goal again to 1 lb a week being allowed 1550 calories and so far i am quite pleased with this. as i do not have alot of weight to lose, i have even considered revising it again to 0.5 lb per week which would mean i would be allowed abt 1800 calories.

basically, what i am saying is that until i revised my goal to 1 lb per week, it was always a roller coaster. yes, it will take me longer to lose the weight but as it is not alot i am trying to lose, i am not stressing myself about it.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

What has worked best for you and do you find yourself changing the goals to tweak things like your calorie allowance as time goes on?

Im following the advice of my Endocrinologist's recommendations for my individual circumstances... 1600 daily calories, 120g CHO's daily are the only areas she wanted me to focus on... and the weight has been melting off like crazy!

I dont plan on changing anything unless the Endo recommends another configuration - only then will I change the numbers here.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I am meeting with her this morning!
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    For the amount of weight you need to lose (being little) I would set it to 1 lb per week or leave it at the pound and a half where you have it.
    Make sure you're entering your calories and exercise as accurately as possible. I measure and weigh my food whenever possible. Calorie counting is all based on estimates and you can estimate much better when you know exactly how much you're consuming. If you have a heart rate monitor, I would be sure to use it to measure your cardio workouts for a more accurate estimate. If you don't have one, sounds like a great Christmas idea. Polar is the highest recommended brand on MFP.
    Try to stick with lean meats and poultry and fresh fruits and veg whenever possible. Processed foods are the devil. :laugh:

Thanks!! I don't have a heart rate monitor or a scale for the kitchen. I have been going by the info on the packages (because yes I do have a processed food problem). How exactly does a heart rate monitor tell you calories burned? Forgive me, as I said I'm new to this. I already have a pretty rapid heart rate even resting (in the past I have seen a cardiologist because of it but it's just the way I am) ... does this mean my calorie burn would be higher than someone with not such a fast HR?
  • Stacyanne324
    Options

Thanks!! I don't have a heart rate monitor or a scale for the kitchen. I have been going by the info on the packages (because yes I do have a processed food problem). How exactly does a heart rate monitor tell you calories burned? Forgive me, as I said I'm new to this. I already have a pretty rapid heart rate even resting (in the past I have seen a cardiologist because of it but it's just the way I am) ... does this mean my calorie burn would be higher than someone with not such a fast HR?
  • Mymag
    Mymag Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mine's set at 2 pounds per week (1200 calories) but sometimes i barely meet even that. I'm small, though. Just under 5'1" and I naturally have a small appetite. The only reason I'm overweight is my horrible sweet-tooth...

I guess what I'm saying is that it's different for everybody, so it really just depends on your body and what you think is best :)
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options

A heart rate monitor calculates your calories burned based on your max heart rate (I think it's 220 minus your age to get your MHR). You put the watch on your wrist and a chest strap that comes with it detects your heart rate. This can be worn during cardio exercise only. It won't work properly for weight training. In the watch, you enter your info like age, weight, height, sex, etc. and it uses that info with your MHR to determine the calories you burn during cardio exercise.
    As far as your rapid HR goes, this is all just crude estimating so I don't think it will be a big deal. The HRM will be more accurate than MFP or the cardio machines at a gym or your home.
  • healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1 -2 pounds a week is best. That is what all the professionals will tell you. And even though we have a set number of calories we need to remember that not all calories are created equal. I eat my cheat foods sometimes, but I know how much work it takes to burn set numbers of calories. I have honestly thought before "this snickers is 270 calories, I would have to hit the elliptical for like 45 mins to get rid of that....is it worth it?" And sometimes it is ;)

HAHAHA. I've totally done that, too. "Do I REALLY REALLY REALLY want -insert item here-?" And, like you, sometimes the answer is MOST DEFINITELY! And sometimes not. Way to keep up accountable! :)
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    I'm definitely going to look into a HRM! Thanks again!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

The reason for the above is the less fat you have you have the smaller your deficit should, this helps avoid your body burning a large % of lean muscle instead of the fat you want to lose, and will help get you ready for maintenance.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I'm definitely going to look into a HRM! Thanks again!

Just to add to what the earlier poster said. a HRM calculates and estimate calorie burn based on your average HR for the duration of a workout. The calculation embedded in the device takes into account, age, weight, gender, duration of exercise, and average HR, and possible an estimation of V02Max (oxygen uptake).

If you are looking at getting one you want to make sure it has a chest strap. The Polar devices are often recommended (FT4 or FT7) by MFP users.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I've been set to 1lb a week, and that wont change. I've had success so far.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

The reason for the above is the less fat you have you have the smaller your deficit should, this helps avoid your body burning a large % of lean muscle instead of the fat you want to lose, and will help get you ready for maintenance.

looks like i need to revise my goal to 0.5 lb a week. i am currently trying to lose 6 - 10 lbs
  • CoCoRedRider
    CoCoRedRider Posts: 47 Member
    Options

I've read this elsewhere too and it seems quite reasonable, but do you have a source for it? I'd like to read more about it.
  • erickirb
    Options

I've read this elsewhere too and it seems quite reasonable, but do you have a source for it? I'd like to read more about it.

I took this from a couple sources and made it a little easier to use. the original was based on BMR and weekly weight loss, but since BMI ignores lean muscle vs. fat, this makes the most sense, the other source was base on BF%, but since most people don't know their BF%, this guide is the easiest to follow, assuming your ultimate goal weight puts you in a normal or athletic BF% range.

If your goal weight and BF% is still considered overweight I would suggest choosing a weight loss of 0.5lbs/week, faster than the above suggestion.