calling all parents, new parent needs help

Options
diaryoffatdad
diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
my baby boy is having trouble pooping, the last few days they have been hard turds, and he cries when he pushes them out, nothing has really changed in his diet, he drinks lots of water, is on whole milk and eats 3 meals and 2 snacks, we make sure he gets a good mix of veggies, fruit and proteins, he also gets grains like wheat, oatmeal and pastas.

your all a smart bunch, thought I would canvas the brains of many parents for advice.

thanks!

Replies

• SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Give him apple juice. It will help.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    He is on whole milk? Or formula? How old is he?

Adding a small amoung of DARK karo syrup to his bottle is safe and effective. So is apple juice and prune juice.
  • angeldelight13
    angeldelight13 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    put about an ounce of pure orange juice in his bottle with about 2-3 ounces of cooled boiled water. Should help. Make sure he gets water between feeds too x
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    1 teaspoon of pancake syrup ( like Karo)in 2 oz of water. My pediatircian gave me this tip when my kids were little and it worked like a charm.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    apple juice really helps, never did the syurp thing.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    my son had a few weeks of consitipation and we used prune and apple juice. He eventually stopped having it....it seems like every kid has a bad bit of constipation and it's always scary the first time around. I was always too scared to use the syrup, though many of my friends did and it worked too!! Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If he is over 6 months old, jarred pureed prunes work wonders.

Have you been giving him Tylenol for teething? If so that can make them constipated. try pureed fruit, it works wonders
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    He is on whole milk? Or formula? How old is he?

Adding a small amoung of DARK karo syrup to his bottle is safe and effective. So is apple juice and prune juice.

he is a year old,

thanks for the tips
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Pear juice, apple juice, prune juice; increased fiber; a small amount of Miralax in the juice or water; glycerin suppositories will ease the pain from pooping
  • Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Apple juice and prune juice (or jarred prunes) work wonders. Let us know how it works out.
  • Marley112586
    Marley112586 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Apple juice and a little Karo syrup in his bottle. Also when hes in pain lay him down on his back and move his legs like hes pushing peddles on a bike. It will help relieve some pain.
  • Queenbee412
    Options
    Yogurt or something with probiotics. Blueberries were always a miracle worker with my kiddies.
  • mrsrice86
    mrsrice86 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My daughter is like that at the moment too. She eats a lot of different vegetables, and drinks fresh juice but still struggles to go!
    The doctor has given her some medicine, and advise us to try and get her to have prunes/prune juice.

Maybe speak to your doctor

Hope he feels better soon :)
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Prune juice or puree.

Don't get too crazy with home remedies.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    He may have a dairy or lactose allergy or sensitivity, constipation can be a symptom of that. Could try removing it for a couple weeks to see if it's that or something else.
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Prune juice or puree.

Don't get too crazy with home remedies.

Agree with this post. Hope your little one is feeling better soon.
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    apple juice is great my son has problems with this and the doc says you can have too much whole milk. i dont know how much he has but something to look at. and yogurt is good with probiotics is what the doc told me fro my 9 yr old
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    apple juice, prunes, prune juice (depending on age, mixed with some water), if he is eating a lot of bananas, cut back some, same with rice.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    All 3 of our kids had a short phase of that. We used prune juice, and if it was very bad a glycerine suppository.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    glycerine suppositories. get the pediatric size and then split that in half. you have to hold it in or the muscles will just force it right back out. but they really do work. my middle daughter was always constipated, for some reason.