Am I wrong?

Options
krazyforyou
krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
Ok, dont know about yall, but Im sorta sick of Christmas. All this money for crap people dont really want that could be spent better served. Maybe Im just crabby. How about yall?

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I agree. Unless you are a child getting gifts form Santa, it's kinda loss all it's meaning.
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    I think you are sick of the commercial Christmas, not real Christmas. :)
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    128878134629272316.jpg
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, no, you're not wrong at all. As we all became adults, and didn't start having children, buying gifts started to get more and more complicated, expensive and frustrating. So 4 or 5 years ago I had a talk with my mother and brother (the two I had the whole sit by the tree and open gifts and stockings celebration with) and we all agreed that it wasn't necessary. We still do birthdays, Mothers Day and the occassional surprise gift if we see something we think the other person would like but that's it. Also decided it was silly to do the gift exchange with Hubby's family because of the same situation - all adults and we don't really need anything.

I still do presents with Dad and Hubby and might get a friend or two something small for Christmas but that's it. Makes life so much easier this time of year!

ETA: jennajava hit the nail on the head! By the way, your new profile pic is very cute! :)
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Just celebrate it in a way that would make you happy. Maybe go volunteer somewhere and spend your time there rather than buying crap that people don't really want? Or you could just skip it altogether. I'm going to the beach with my parents and my brother to avoid the rest of our family so we don't have to do anything for Christmas.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Give these gifts in honour of the people on your Christmas list:

http://plancanada.ca/giftsofhope/default.asp?WT.mc_id=QFY12_DM_GOHACATLEG
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options

Ooooo, I wanna give a goat. I'm going to get the kids online tonight and we are going to buy a goat. Thank you Contrarian!! :flowerforyou: <--- not the sarcastic kind!
  • TeresaWash
    Options

Ooooo, I wanna give a goat. I'm going to get the kids online tonight and we are going to buy a goat. Thank you Contrarian!! :flowerforyou: <--- not the sarcastic kind!

*like*
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i dont feel that you are wrong, i feel the same way...xmas if more for the kids, i only buy kids gifts and my mom...my brothers and sister understand where i come from...money is always tight on my end :(
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Bah Humbug.

I vote we burn down the Christmas tree in the park.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I usually keep my true feelings about Christmas and most holidays to myself.....so I will just say, that I am with you.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I'm refusing to buy gifts for my family this year. The whole commercial aspect of the holiday is disgusting to me. I will get a small gift for each of my young nieces, but the adults are all in agreement that exchanging gifts between us is unnecessary. Unfortunately, some weird guilt is keeping them from completely cutting gifts out.. they each say, "I'll just get everyone a small something." ... I'm like, "okay, but I'm not getting anyone anything. We will have a nice dinner together and play games and be a family, but I'm 100% boycotting Consumer Christmas." .. if that makes me a scrooge, so be it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I <3 Christmas *ducks* ;)
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options

We do this every year. Through https://www.samaritanspurse.org/index.php/Giving/gift_catalog/

The kids love picking out stuff for those in need.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Bah Humbug.

I vote we burn down the Christmas tree in the park.

I'll bring the matches. I keep telling my family we should make it less about gifts and more about being together, but I get told I'm trying to ruin xmas. WTF?
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think a great meaningful gift (anytime) is a charitible donation made in someone's name, you support a good cause and you let your friend know that you were thinging of them... just my $0.02
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Nope you are about where most of us have been for years. I asked my husband the other night "Is it wrong that I'm more excited about putting together a nice gift for my Angel Tree recipients than my family?" He kindly responded no, and that he had the most fun buying for the kid he chose. BTW he got the kid a remote control car with a huge pack of batteries and a set of Star Wars Legos. I chose 15 & 17 year old girls who asked for towels. It touched my heart that they would ask for such a simple thing. The day after Thanksgiving I'd gone to Bath & Body Works to buy a few things I needed and I cashed in on their deal if you bought $40 worth of stuff you could buy as many bags filled with product worth over $107 for $20. I got 2 thinking I always need extra gifts. I'd already broken one apart, but then decided how fun would it be to give the two girls as much of the stuff in the bags as I had left as well as some other bath stuff I have extra. I really hope they like it and wish I could see their faces when they open it and see towels but the underneath is all the goodies!
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    No, you're not wrong. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    You're neither right or wrong. You just like letting others know you ar unhappy with something. Bah, Humbug!

I, on the other hand, love it. Not as a theological event, but rather as a chance for my friends and family to all get together. I love that time with them.
  • sadiecara
    sadiecara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this for several years and now I take my children on holiday for Christmas. They get a small gift each, but we always try to have an adventure on Christmas day- like going on a boat trip, or swimming in the sea (not possible in the UK at that time of year) . We are going to Morocco this year. We also sponsor a child at www.foreverangels.org We are so fortunate, most of us on here because we have eaten too much food, while millions of people in the world struggle to get enough. I think Christmas is a good time to give something back.