I need new workout ideas

Options
I have been doing hip hop dance, and running for weeks now. I only burn like 400 cal. I need a better workout. Any ideas? I want to have fun doing it. I have been doing 45 min. cardio and 45 strength training. According to MFP you do not burn calories while strength training? Should I be working out longer? Any info you have would be appreciated.

Krissy

Replies

• mrsjoseywales29
    Options
    u do burn during strength training just record it under circuit training. i did an hr of it yesterday and burned like 330 calories cause i have HRM.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    when you do your strenght training there are ways to make it a wicked calorie burning event. I love doing supersets, so if you have 4 strength exercises that you do in your routine for example, and you do 3 sets of each exercise, inbetween sets do not rest but rather do another exercise that works a different body part. I love to superset my weights with ab exercises, no rest inbetween once you finish your set you jump right into the ab exercise then jump right into your next set.

another one of my favs is to skip inbetween exercises. again no rest period, finish your set and do a minute of jumping rope then on to the next set and so on. basically find a way to keep moving, as an added benifit it cuts down on workout time. I used to do 40-60 minutes of weights then 30 minutes of cardio then do 30 minutes of abs and stretches, when i superset with the abs, it cuts the workout time right down, and when i skip i dont have to do as much cardio.

message me if you want more ideas, i'm a kinesiologist so i do have some knowledge in this area
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    If you like videos, Jillian Michaels has one called No More Trouble Zones that's about 40 minutes long and it's circuit training, cardio and abs. I burn 200 calories doing 20 minutes of her 30 Day Shred, so 40 minutes would be a good workout.
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I downloaded the Nike Training Club App and I'm loving it. They break the exercise routines down based on your fitness goals. Are you trying to get lean? Get toned? Get Strong? Or get focused on certain areas. They have it all. The harder you work the more calories you will burn.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you have an iphone, ipod, or ipad, there is an awesome app called Nike Training club. It is VERY cool!!
  • KrissyG83
    KrissyG83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :smile:
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Actually, there is a cardio entry for strength training. if you log it as circuit training, it says you burn way too many calories because circuit training is low weight and quicker sets and therefore more actual cardio.
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Lure a friend(s) of yours to join stairs climbing to a high rise building. It's very effective cardio and when you do it together and chat all the way up, it feels more fun. Or listen to the music to give you right rhythm for keeping up the brisk(ish) pace.

Check from database how much "Walking, upstairs" would give you. With HRM you can get more accurate calorie burn.

Walk stairs up and take a lift down since coming down with stairs is a little too risky for joints; whole body mass hitting knees with every step. Going up you leg and bottom muscles do the work so it's safer. Effective, fast, simple and cheap way of exercise and easy to do if your own house is high enough.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    www.bodyrock.tv

they always have a new interesting work out of the day!