Jekyll and Hyde

Options
I'm a Prednisone dependent person it seems. I have been on it since 2001 or 2002 for breathing issues. After 10 or11 years it is taking it's tole on me.

I thought it would be helpful to hear what some of you experience while taking it or coming down (off) from taking Prednisone.

Here are something's it has done to me or I feel like it has off the top of my head:

Weight gain
Immunity is gone
Jekyll and Hyde with mood swings
so darn hungry constantly
burning of the stomach and throat
depression, cry over nothing at times
Gastritis - inflammation of the stomach
internal bleeding
nervousness
extremley irritable
Can't think straight
forgetful
enduced vocal cord problems I think
constipation
excessive thirst

I'm very blessed to have a husband and my son's who have seen me at my worst and still love me and help me out. Seems the older I get the harder it is for me to take and survive the aftermath.

Replies

• quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. I have asthma and refused to start any med that was a steroid. Went round and round with the doctor, but I've seen the side effects and just said NO. I don't have great advice for you on how to go about weaning off it, but try to find a doctor willing to help, and ask for a prescription for respiratory therapy. Also try to find a massage therapist who has had training in respiratory massage - getting ALL the breathing muscles strengthened and relaxed helps me way more than any medication ever has. When I had pneumonia - which set off my asthma something awful, of course - an acupuncture treatment settled it down very quickly, too. There are safer meds, and there are alternative therapies. Some people DO need the steroids for acute illness, and some doctors do prescribe them long term anyway, and don't give all the information on the effects or on the alternatives.

Good luck in making that change!
  • sandislim
    Options
    Are you coming off the medication then? Do you have asthma? I had asthma for a long time and took steroids found that it was an allergy triggered to quite a few things (especially laundry powder which I now just use natural soapnuts). Thankfully I haven't had it in a while now.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with sandislim on the allergy issue! I make my own cleaning supplies and laundry & hand/face soaps now, and it has made a world of difference in reducing the triggers!
  • BrendaPetersen
    BrendaPetersen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    No not coming off of it any time soon. Dr is anit steroid that I see, but he is at a loss for what to do also at times.

I was just curious as to what others are experiencing with the "Devil's Drug"

thanks!