Amazed everyday...

Options
mleoni092708
mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
So I've lost about 40 lbs and people are noticing. Which is ok i guess, not really a big fan of being the center of attention. Anyhow, a woman I work with is planning our holiday party and asks what I want to eat. I told her I can eat anything. To make a long story short, she is ordering chicken and potatoes and assumed I wouldn't eat potatoes. I told her "yes I do eat potatoes." She looked at me like I was nuts. Clearly I must be hiding something. I told her I eat pizza and chocolate too. I think I nearly made her pass out. No I don't do diet pills or low carb or anything "special." Just MFP :)

If I had a dollar for every time I got the "blank stare and crickets" for telling people I simply eat all food groups in moderation (as best I can, lol) and exercise most days 30-45 minutes to lose weight...I'd be quite wealthy :laugh:

Replies

• damorzacon
    damorzacon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I get this a lot too. People don't seem to think that you can do it without a magic pill or fad diet.

Eat less and move more is what I tell them.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    lol I get this a lot too... it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. everything in moderation.

on Thanksgiving, my fiance's grandmother asked me if I would still be dieting today... uh. I never have dieted since I started mfp. I still eat the same foods, just a lot less of the junk!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I think that's one of the bigger things I"ve learned after joining here. That knowing where you stand un regards to calories, allows you to make rational and intelligent food decisions.

Going about your diet blind (like I was doing before) prevented me from having what I wanted (in moderation), put me at a plateau for months and I never understood why I would gain/lose weight.
  • mleoni092708
    Options
    lol I get this a lot too... it's a lifestyle change, not a diet. everything in moderation.

on Thanksgiving, my fiance's grandmother asked me if I would still be dieting today... uh. I never have dieted since I started mfp. I still eat the same foods, just a lot less of the junk!

I bet I can guess what happened next...she stares you down with a funny look, thinking, "there's something odd about this one" haha.

I'm going to start making up crazy diets to mess with people like the dog food diet thing. Or I only eat 8 almonds per day and that's all.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    That was REALLY nice of her to try to accommodate your diet. I'd make sure to specifically thank her for it.
  • wyldweazel
    wyldweazel Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My family has just had the same comment to me. I am going for a visit in a week or so, and they are excited to see me. They wanted a list of food I eat. I eat all the normal food I ate before. Sure there are a few new friends, but I don't have to take them everywhere with me. ;)

I am sure I will get the stares when I get there.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Tell them you do the diet from The Devil Wears Prada:
    "I don't eat anything, and when i feel faint, I eat a cube of cheese."

It's considerate of them to ask, though. Just trying to accommodate another special diet person, just like vegetarian, lactose intolerant or gluten free. Just tell them you are looking forward to the meal, especially since you're now eating by quality, instead of quantity. :-)
  • mleoni092708
    Options
    That was REALLY nice of her to try to accommodate your diet. I'd make sure to specifically thank her for it.

You are absolutely right. I will have to make sure I thank her. I was too momentarily "frustrated" that people think I'm starving or cutting out food groups to realize she was trying to be considerate of me. Eek. :blushing: