Sabataging my eating

Options
Does anyone else have this problem???

I am afraid of eating too many calories each day, ( mostly because I'm trying to overcome binge eating, especially at night.). So, I eat healthy food but I'll eat a really light breakfast and lunch and try and have snacks around 175 calories. I also exercise quite a bit, so at night I have a lot of calories to eat and not enough time to eat them. I don't want to eat too close to bed time. I'm worried I'm putting my body into starvation mode since I'm not eating enough.
I just need to learn to discipline myself all day so the calories are evenly spaced. I'm just still afraid of binge eating and going waaayyyy over. Frustrated!

Replies

• imworthit
    imworthit Posts: 165 Member
    Options

I am afraid of eating too many calories each day, ( mostly because I'm trying to overcome binge eating, especially at night.). So, I eat healthy food but I'll eat a really light breakfast and lunch and try and have snacks around 175 calories. I also exercise quite a bit, so at night I have a lot of calories to eat and not enough time to eat them. I don't want to eat too close to bed time. I'm worried I'm putting my body into starvation mode since I'm not eating enough.
    I just need to learn to discipline myself all day so the calories are evenly spaced. I'm just still afraid of binge eating and going waaayyyy over. Frustrated!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Just be sure to eat your daily minimum and make sure you feel ok.....I am the same way I eat very very light ...and I dont eat after 6pm unless I just cant help it....But I feel great no more stuffed tummy and no more bloating or indigestion.....and I eat my minimum calories and take a daily vitamin....I spend 60min-2hrs excercising but I actually enjoy it and it feels good.......Stick to small meals the way I do it is I have a lot of little salads and to get my calories I throw rasins,nuts,legumes,lean meat on them...its very easy and light.
  • imworthit
    Options

Just be sure to eat your daily minimum and make sure you feel ok.....I am the same way I eat very very light ...and I dont eat after 6pm unless I just cant help it....But I feel great no more stuffed tummy and no more bloating or indigestion.....and I eat my minimum calories and take a daily vitamin....I spend 60min-2hrs excercising but I actually enjoy it and it feels good.......Stick to small meals the way I do it is I have a lot of little salads and to get my calories I throw rasins,nuts,legumes,lean meat on them...its very easy and light.

Sounds a lot like my eating. I love salads. My minimum calories are set at 1250 and then I add about 300-400 exercise calories, which puts me at 1550-1650 calories. But a lot of times at night, I've only eaten 1200-1300. I think I need to eat a little more at breakfast. Like I said, I just need to eat more during the day and exercise self-control at night! Thanks for your post!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Sounds a lot like my eating. I love salads. My minimum calories are set at 1250 and then I add about 300-400 exercise calories, which puts me at 1550-1650 calories. But a lot of times at night, I've only eaten 1200-1300. I think I need to eat a little more at breakfast. Like I said, I just need to eat more during the day and exercise self-control at night! Thanks for your post!

YW! Good luck
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Why not eat more at breakfast/lunch? If anything, snack bars/milk/vegetable juice can help give you calories without the guilt!
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I did! I added a bigger breakfast and lunch. I figure if I am STARVING later at night I let myself eat a snack...I needed it the first few nights and went over...now I have broken the habbit tho!
  • verifire
    Options
    I have become a big believer in breakfast. Eating it puts your stomach at a healthy pace for the rest of the day. I have four favorites that are all 300 calories or less, and keep me full for a long time (if you work out early in the morning, eat after working out):

1) plain nonfat yogurt, a handful of almonds, and drizzled with honey

2) grape nuts mixed with go-lean crunch with soy milk

3) aunt millie's light whole wheat toast with smucker's all-natural chunky peanut butter and apricot preserves

4) oat bran or oat meal

i couldn't believe it would be worth the calories, and i hadn't eaten breakfast since high school, but it has been more effective for maintaining a low weight than not eating was.
  • running4myhealth
    Options
    I plan my meals when I wake up so I know exactly how many calories I am going to eat during the day. I also exercise hardcore at the gym and usually have about 800-1000 extra calories to eat. By the end of the day I am usually sitting at around 1800. I can never eat ALL my exercise calories, but sometimes I can get pretty close. And I still lose weight steadily.
  • imworthit
    Options
    I plan my meals when I wake up so I know exactly how many calories I am going to eat during the day. I also exercise hardcore at the gym and usually have about 800-1000 extra calories to eat. By the end of the day I am usually sitting at around 1800. I can never eat ALL my exercise calories, but sometimes I can get pretty close. And I still lose weight steadily.

Great idea! I always kind of know what I'm going to be eating, but if I wrote down the whole day or logged it in the morning, I could know exactly how many calories it was going to be and could space the calories more evenly. I would probably be surprised at how much food it really is. Thanks!
  • imworthit
    Options
    I have become a big believer in breakfast. Eating it puts your stomach at a healthy pace for the rest of the day. I have four favorites that are all 300 calories or less, and keep me full for a long time (if you work out early in the morning, eat after working out):

1) plain nonfat yogurt, a handful of almonds, and drizzled with honey

2) grape nuts mixed with go-lean crunch with soy milk

3) aunt millie's light whole wheat toast with smucker's all-natural chunky peanut butter and apricot preserves

4) oat bran or oat meal

i couldn't believe it would be worth the calories, and i hadn't eaten breakfast since high school, but it has been more effective for maintaining a low weight than not eating was.

I was not a breakfast eater either for years. I have realized how important it is though. I really should be adding more too my breakfast meals though. They are not usually more than 200 and I don't always get a snack in before lunch. Got to change my mindset. Thanks for the food ideas.
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Imworthit,

Have you ever heard of the phrase, eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, and dinner like a pauper? Breakfast is THE most important meal of the day, as it breaks the fast that you were in from sleeping and gets your metabolism fired up again. Also, don't be afraid to eat more earlier on in the day and then taper off towards the evening. I am a firm believer in breakfast, and I never miss it anymore. It keeps you from binging later on at night too, and if you think logically about it, even if you eat more in the morning, you have all day to burn it off. If you eat more at night and then go to bed, most of that will not be metabolized as energy, but stored as fat because your body demands fewer calories during sleep. I think that if you start increasing your calories for breakfast and lunch, you'll be just fine later at night and won't feel the urge to grab an extra snack and go over your calories.
  • iclimbmountains
    Options
    Have you ever heard of the phrase, eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, and dinner like a pauper?

I LOVE this! And I second everything everyone has said: Breakfast is the best.
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of the phrase, eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen, and dinner like a pauper?

I LOVE this! And I second everything everyone has said: Breakfast is the best.

Off topic a bit, but...

Is that beautiful tree *supposed* to look like a dancer? Wow, that's an amazing photo.:smile::heart: