Need help in getting creative in the kitchen

I really need to get creative with my dinner. I am tired of the same mexican food. I am mexican and thats all i know what to make i want something tasty that does not include tortillas. Please help!!!!! Ohh iam only allowed 1350 calories a day by the time i am dont with breakfast and lunch i only have 500 calories left.

thank you

Jasmin

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Check this out! Tons of great better-for-you recipes.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Whenever I get bored of the same old recipes, I spend some time surfing the web. Typically I use skinnytaste.com, cookinglight.com and allrecipes.com. I love the ingredients search on allrecipes because you can plug in a couple basic ingredients (say chicken breast and cream of mushroom soup) and get tons of ideas!

I've also found some good recipes just by typing a couple ingredients into the google search. I bought some tahini to make a homemade version of a thai recipe (can't remember what now...) - didn't like it but still had a bunch of tahini to use up. So I typed in tahini recipes and found a keeper with spicy tahini chicken thighs!

My other go-to is my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I'll browse through that every once in a while and come up with some really great ideas. You might think something basic like "poulty" would be the same old same old but we've found a couple of great recipes in there for sauces to use for grilling or broiling.

Above all, keep an open mind. Say you don't like canned asparagus but you might like the fresh ones sauteed or roasted. You just never know until you try!
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Check out allrecipes.com. They have a TON of great recipes on there with lots of reviews. The reviews have not steered me wrong yet! I make a great turkey chili from there, stuffed chicken breasts, low-cal pasta dishes, etc. Let me know if you want specifics...I'd be happy to send you the links.
  • Add cook books to your Christmas list and maybe you will get some cook books. Also look in thrift stores and second hand book shops for cookbooks.

Online, I got a used copy of Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian and it is packed with great and many low calorie ideas.
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    If you have a local Ollie's Discount Store they are LOADED with cookbooks for reasonable prices.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/2009/05/pgew-invited-to-be-a-guest-for-dinner.html

I'm making this with a couple revisions based on what I have (chicken breast instead of thigh and butter + 2% milksub for the half and half) and clocking in at 449 calories based on halving the recipe and counting it as two servings.

I also made her stew recipe here last night: http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/2011/12/recipe-creamy-mashed-potato-turkey-soup.html. It was delcious. Made 5 servings, I had 2 for 335 (some subs, took out olive oil used 2% milk and extra chicken broth).
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    PENNE PASTA (COOK AS INSTRUCTED)

1 TBSP OLIVE OIL
    3-4 SWEET-ITALIAN SAUSAGE (OR TURKEY SAUSAGE) LINKS CUT INTO 1" SLICES
    2 MED GREEN PEPPERS CUT INTO STRIPS
    1 SMALL ONION SLICED
    1 C. MUSHROOMS (OPTIONAL)
    1 CAN CONDENSED CREAM OF CHEESE SOUP (LOW SODIUM)
    1 C LOW FAT MILK
    3 CLOVES GARLIC

Cook the italian sausage in the olive oil and garlic until some of the pinkness has gone away, then add the peppers, onions and mushrooms until the veggies are tender and the sausage has cooked through. Add the soup and milk to the sausage mixture and heat through add to your cooked pasta. EXCELLENT, quick and not too awful bad on the calories.
  • try www.skinnytaste.com
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    I started eating one apple, one pear, and one banana all cut up and dipping in light yogurt at lunch time. I also eat about 2.5 cups of lettuce with fat free dressing as well.

I've made quick chicken salad with ff dressing adding cut broccoli and carrots...very low calorie and easy. For dinners, I just eat serving sizes of whatever we have for dinner staying away from gravy, potatoes, rice and breads.

If you like soup, a lot of the package-make-at-home soups are high in nutrients and relatively low in calories for dinner. As you probably guessed, I eat most of my calories morning to early afternoon.