Too many calories left at the end of the day, Help!

Options

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I work out very often. Probably 5-6 times a week. Sometimes 2x a day. Yesterday was the first day I haven't been able to do anything in about a week.

It sounds like you're doing great! If you have a lot of weight to lose, then losing high numbers isn't necessarily a bad thing. And it sounds like you're making smart food choices.

Definitely continue to avoid any products with added sugar. I would recomend not force feeding yourself, especially not with sweets. I find the more processed carbs I eat (and especialy the more added sugar), the more I end up craving them later. It's best to just stick with whole foods. If you ever start developing symptoms of over training (eg constant fatigue), then you can start eating more real foods like fruits veggies, lean meats, nuts. Don't start adding in juice or high carb snack pack type things. But if you feel good and you're losing weight, keep it up.
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary for the week and you are doing pretty well. You just need to add in more protein. And morning seems to be your lightest meal...and should be your biggest really.
    Eggs, nuts, peanut butter, almond butter, greek yogurt, milk, protein shakes. Any of those things added to your diet should help you along just fine. Keep up the hard work and just remember that food is fuel for your muscles and your body. If you keep that in mind it tends to help when you are deciding what to eat and if you should eat. Keep tracking accurately and learning as you go along.
  • dricen
    dricen Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Oh wow! You are working out on those calories! What type exercise are you doing? Cardio every day? Weights? Both?
    Here is my normal work-out routine.

I try and do 30 mins on the elliptical everyday. Then I'll mix some weights and normally 2 mins of crunches. At the end of my work-out I go in the Sauna for 10-15 minutes. 2 Days a week I have a personal trainer that does mostly strength training with a little bit of cardio. I try and push myself everytime on the elliptical and so far I'm I've gotten down to 3.5 miles on average for my 30 min run. I try and get around 6-7 mins on the first mile, 13-14 on the 2nd, and 22-24 on the 3rd. For weights, I just go and do various stuff around the gym. I try and do 3 sets 30 reps of crunches then go to the sauna and do 30 more while I'm in there. I'm just starting out on the exercise so I may need help there too =P
  • katcena
    Options
    You are doing a lot of exercise. Which is great! You just need to be sure you are eating enough that your body is not using your muscles for fuel instead of the fat you want to lose.
    Check out this group. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/955-feed-the-furnace-burn-the-fat
    There is some great info on there that might help you a bit! The founder of the group HelloItsDan has a lot of knowledge to share as well.
  • kit548emt
    Options
    I try not to drink too much OJ in the morning because of the sugar. And for the oats, I've recently switched to whole grain oats and I really don't like them. I force myself to eat them over the apples n cinnamon that I was eating. But I guess I could try and eat just a little bit more. I am crunched for time in the morning, which is why I normally eat pretty light for the morning. But other than that, I eat often. I've been trying to eat bananas and grapes as snacks, I never found nuts too filling. Maybe I should try some nuts now and give me some extra protein. I've never had a protein shake, what would you guys recommend?

A couple of hours after breakfast I'll usually eat a small handful of walnuts or almonds with a stick of sargento 2% sharp cheddar and it's filling to me. A couple of hours later I'll have some grapes or pineapples or something before I eat lunch.
  • dricen
    Options
    Great! I'll check into them!
  • dricen
    Options
    A couple of hours after breakfast I'll usually eat a small handful of walnuts or almonds with a stick of sargento 2% sharp cheddar and it's filling to me. A couple of hours later I'll have some grapes or pineapples or something before I eat lunch.

Ya I try and eat about every 2-2.5 hours with snacks like bananas, grapes, etc. But grapes aren't too high on calories =P
  • kit548emt
    Options
    Ya I try and eat about every 2-2.5 hours with snacks like bananas, grapes, etc. But grapes aren't too high on calories =P

True, you can combine them with something else. Pineapples are a little higher but not by much. Another one would be apples with peanut butter, I do reduced fat but you could do regular peanut butter and get more calories from it. The V8 Fusion is another option, I may have already said that, can't remember lol, that will add on calories.
  • katcena
    Options
    You are pretty low on your protein....especially with the amount of exercise you are doing. So aim for snacks that are higher in protein rather than the fruit options. Nuts, yogurt, cheese, chicken breast, eggs....they will feed your muscles. :)
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I usually have around 500 left on a daily basis. Unless it's a family get-together or something. But I don't make myself eat if I'm not hungry. I watch my other intakes as well. (sodium, sugars, fats, etc) But I eat full meals, not just snacks. My boyfriend is more of a snacker than an eater. So he's kind of going through the same things.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Did you gain the weight by artificially eating more than you were hungry for? Were you on a medication that increased your appetite that has now been discontinued? It seems like if you ate enough to get a weight problem in the first place, not being hungry enough shouldn't be an issue.

I am hesitant to eat when not hungry because of an artificial goal that assumes I am calculating my metabolic rate and exercise precisely. It's not as easy to calculate as 1/8 cup of oatmeal.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So what you guys are saying is that I should in fact eat to my daily cap everyday? And in that case, what if I work off 600 calories from working out, would I still need to eat 600 more calories to make up for the workout? Thanks for everyone's responses so far! I LOVE PEANUT BUTTER! =D

See, i would say noooooooo to this, because i think it creates bad over eating habits.

Honoring a calorie target with a deficit factored in creates bad over eating habits?

And the misinformation continues to spread....
    From what I've noticed on this site, a lot of people seem to be rather insistent about promoting and creating bad underrating habits. Personally I lose weight on 2500 calories a day, and I maintain on 3000 calories a day. Boggles my mind when I see people not eating enough.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I am in the camp of, don't worry aboutit. So you don't eat those calories. Your body knows what it needs..... We need to listen to our bodies sometimes. I don't believe in forcing yourself to eat back your exercise calories.....
  • dricen
    Options
    Did you gain the weight by artificially eating more than you were hungry for? Were you on a medication that increased your appetite that has now been discontinued? It seems like if you ate enough to get a weight problem in the first place, not being hungry enough shouldn't be an issue.

I am hesitant to eat when not hungry because of an artificial goal that assumes I am calculating my metabolic rate and exercise precisely. It's not as easy to calculate as 1/8 cup of oatmeal.

I gained weight over many years of non existent physical activity and awful eating habits. No medication, just eating too many unhealthy things with no exercise.
  • dricen
    Options
    I'm going to try and add some more protein to my diet. It seems that is what I am missing the most. Thanks for everyone's input, its much appreciated, and don't hesitate to post more!
  • tigersword
    Options
    I just want to point out, a man shouldn't be eating less than 1800 calories a day. 1200 is only for a woman.
  • dricen
    Options
    I just want to point out, a man shouldn't be eating less than 1800 calories a day. 1200 is only for a woman.

I talked to my PT tonight, and he told me to try and eat about 1500-1600 a day.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Don't let them pile up at the end of the night if you don't like having the remainder a one big meal .

Winner. (Assuming you've already worked out how much to be eating)
  • tigersword
    Options

I talked to my PT tonight, and he told me to try and eat about 1500-1600 a day.
    According to the American College of Sports Medicine, 1800 is the minimum. I've read other sites that say 1500, but I personally never go below 1800. I figure the ACSM should know what they're talking about. :laugh:
  • dricen
    Options
    According to the American College of Sports Medicine, 1800 is the minimum. I've read other sites that say 1500, but I personally never go below 1800. I figure the ACSM should know what they're talking about. :laugh:

Can you show me a link that says this? Everywhere I've read says between 1300-1600 minimum.