Vet tech

Options
sm423
sm423 Posts: 210 Member
So this has nothing to do with weight loss, health, etc...

Just wondering if there are any vet techs/assistants out there. I've been thinking about working with animals for some time now, but I was going to wait until all my kids were in school. My youngest is 18 months. So I'm just curious to know how you like your job? Is it stressful? What are things you deal with on a daily basis. And how do you deal with aggressive animals? Any information/advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Replies

• FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    So this has nothing to do with weight loss, health, etc...

Just wondering if there are any vet techs/assistants out there. I've been thinking about working with animals for some time now, but I was going to wait until all my kids were in school. My youngest is 18 months. So I'm just curious to know how you like your job? Is it stressful? What are things you deal with on a daily basis. And how do you deal with aggressive animals? Any information/advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

vet tech 20+ years, love my job, very, lots of **** (much literallly) carefully ( there are always scars). its not an easy job, and in most place not overly good paying.

its not just playing with puppies and kittens.
  • sm423
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Did you go to school? Or just on the job training?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I was a vet tech for ~5 years. Loved the job, grew to hate my boss. :tongue:

It was being a receptionist, nurse, janitor, pharmacist, stockroom worker, purchaser and social worker in one... at least where I worked. In larger clinics, the techs mostly work behind the scenes and directly with the vet and animals. Where I was, we answered phones, scheduled appointments and checked in clients, saw them to their rooms, checked them out when they left, etc. When I worked at a shelter, I gave incoming pets vaccinations, but at the hospital, I only got the vacc's ready for the vet and he gave them. But we'd assist during procedures (ie, restraining the pet during blood draws or sub-q fluid treatments, help during surgery like an operating room nurse and monitor the vitals during anesthesia). We cleaned the rooms and equipment after each appointment and cleaned the whole place at the end of the day. Prepared medications as directed, maintained supply of medications, food, and other supplies. And comforted clients during rough times.

Like Fairy said, it's not a matter of playing with puppies and kitties all day. It's hard work, emotionally and physically. The longer you're there, the more attached you get to clients and their pets, and losing one is as heartbreaking as losing one of your own. Dealing with bad owners was worse than dealing with bad pets, but I do have quite a few scars. Mostly from scratches. I was never bit on the job. (Yet my niece who's a special ed teacher has been bitten by one of her students!!!)

I had on the job training. From most techs I spoke with, your starting rate is the same whether you have a degree/certificate or not, and all vets will want you trained to do things their way anyway.
  • sm423
    Options
    Thanks LorinaLynn. Definitely a lot of useful information. ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    The funny thing is, the worst scars I have looked at the time like my arm got savaged by a werewolf, but in reality, it was an overweight, enthusiastic beagle named Happy who'd just had his nails trimmed, but not filed, and jumped up to tell me hello. The sharp edges ripped my arm apart, but I didn't feel it until I looked down and saw all the blood! :laugh:
  • sm423
    Options
    The funny thing is, the worst scars I have looked at the time like my arm got savaged by a werewolf, but in reality, it was an overweight, enthusiastic beagle named Happy who'd just had his nails trimmed, but not filed, and jumped up to tell me hello. The sharp edges ripped my arm apart, but I didn't feel it until I looked down and saw all the blood! :laugh:

That is too funny!
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am a vet assistant, maybe a little less responsiblities than a tech, but anyways, are you looking to be a registered technician? If so there is schooling to be done! Usually around 2 years worth. Or you can always be an unregistered tech, they usually do the same things as a registered. Depends on your skills.

I do really like my job, but wish the pay was better. I wanted to get registered..but I am not happy with the pay top off at $30/hr if you are lucky. It can obviously have some risks. Aggressive pets, zoonotic diseases, handling sharp objecents.

For me the biggest challenges are aggressive cats. They are quick and flexible sometimes unpredictable. With dogs,usually if you can get a muzzle on you are good to go. With cats they have claws and teeth and a muzzle doesn't work too well. We can tranquilize themm but usually the owners don't like the additional high costs of that. So that is last resort.

You cannot be grossed out by poop or blood. It will get on you at one point or another. Better yet anal gland juice lol.

You have to deal with euthanasias and be ready to hold them as they die in your arms. Most pets go peacefully, but there are some tht are just fighters and its really sad to have to restrain them while the dr. Gives the final injection :(

I do really love working with animals. Seeing them get better, some of them know you are trying to help and that's the best feeling when they show you affection..if you want to go into this job to avoid people think again, you have to deal with their owners. Unless you work at a big hospital and just be a backroom tech..but usually employees fight for that lol.

If you have any more questions message me or add me!
  • sm423
    Options
    You have to deal with euthanasias and be ready to hold them as they die in your arms. Most pets go peacefully, but there are some tht are just fighters and its really sad to have to restrain them while the dr. Gives the final injection :(

That would be very difficult. I want to cry when I watch commercials on tv about helping animals, so watching one die in my arms would definitely break my heart.

My mastiff has seizures and we've done blood work/tests to try and figure out what is causing them. No luck. We started her on meds and so far she's been doing well, but she's only been on them for two months. We still have to go back and do more blood tests to make sure the meds aren't too high and aren't toxic.

I love animals and really would love to work with them, but sometimes I just don't know if I can handle certain things.
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    yeah i have been at my current hospital for almost 12 years (will be 12 in march). actually been here longer than the current owner , i always say i came with the building. Its getting hard so many of the animals i have known a long time are getting old and dieing.

our practice if very small the doctor, her partner who is also office manger and a vet tech is there some of the time , me and one other employee so yeah i wear alot of hats LOL. over worked and under paid!!!!!!

went to a little technical school years ago (more than 20) but learned far more in the trenches
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    I cry at those ASPCA commercials, too, and bawled like a baby watching emergency vets. The only time I cried on the job was when a girl my age, with a cat my own elderly cat's age with the same condition (kidney failure), had to have him euthanized. I didn't cry when it came time to put my own to sleep, because I knew we'd done everything that we could to keep her happy and comfortable for as long as possible. Knowing she was in distress (she developed heart failure on top of the CRF), and that there were no more medications or treatments that could help, I knew that ending her suffering was the kindest thing I could do.

Euthanasias are never easy. But it softens the blow when you know it's the only choice. And when you see them so sick and so helpless, and there's no hope for recovery, it really is a gift to be able to stop their pain.

The really heartbreaking euthanasias are the ones that happen in shelters. :sad:
  • sm423
    Options
    The really heartbreaking euthanasias are the ones that happen in shelters. :sad:

I agree.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options

That would be very difficult. I want to cry when I watch commercials on tv about helping animals, so watching one die in my arms would definitely break my heart.

My mastiff has seizures and we've done blood work/tests to try and figure out what is causing them. No luck. We started her on meds and so far she's been doing well, but she's only been on them for two months. We still have to go back and do more blood tests to make sure the meds aren't too high and aren't toxic.

I love animals and really would love to work with them, but sometimes I just don't know if I can handle certain things.

After a while,you get used to it..or well maybe thicker skinned? Its hard to describe. I try not to think too much into it while assisting for euthanasias if I do i will get teary eyed. Seeing the owners bawling is very tough though. It helps knowing that the pet isn't suffering anymore.
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I am a tech, too . I am registered (need to be to get a job where I live) and graduated from a 2 year course at an accredited technical school (almost 15 years ago, now ). I work part time and (usually) I love it. As mentioned by others, it is not all puppy kisses and kitten purrs. It is challenging - taking radiographs, blood/urine/fecal sample collections, restraint, dentals, filling prescriptions, client education, reception, placing catheters (IV, urinary), nursing, monitoring anesthesia, surgical assisting...the list goes on. You become so attached to patients and clients. Every day is different. As a career, it is on the higher stress end and many suffer from burn out, especially as the pay is not as rewarding as one would like given the responsibilities.

What I would recommend, is for you to job shadow for a few days at a clinic (or perhaps more than one) to see if it is for you. It can be a very harsh environment.

Good luck to you!:drinker:

PS: Euthanasia is tough. Even when it is the best thing for the critter.