Low Budget Dieting

Options
So, I am a preschool teacher at a non-profit organization; therefore, have very little spending money. For a long time when I would write out my monthly budget, food would be the last thing that I factor in. Actually, that is still what happens. Sometimes I only have about $100 for food for the whole month (atleast I'm only providing for myself). So, with that said, what are some low cost foods and cost free good habits that I should start incorporating into my new healthy lifestyle?

Replies

• Hyperspace
    Options
    When I was poor I ate a lot of lentils and rice. Cook them together with a can of tomatoes and maybe some chili powder and you've got a very cheap, very filling, nutrient-rich, low-fat meal. You can make a big batch and freeze for later.

I made yogurt out of reconstituted dried milk using a home yogurt maker which I bought at a yard sale.

I also ate a lot of canned vegetables and canned fruits. (Watch for added sugar, though). Watch the sales, and stock up when you can.
    And I joined a food co-op where I could work one or two hours a month and get cheap prices on local produce.

Whole chickens can be cheap on sale. Roast it and then use the remaining carcass to make soup.

To eat cheaply, you really need to cook a lot of your own food. Everytime you buy something pre-prepared, you're paying for the preparation. You can cook big batches on the weekend to save time.

I also walked everywhere I could. I had no car and I didn't want to spend $ for the bus. Even if you do have a car, walking and biking can save on gas and even insurance costs (the less you drive, the lower your premium will be.)
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue im living with my boyfriend[babydaddy] and my toddler he lost his job and im the only one working and i have noticed to get healthy food is very expensive. what i have started doing is using coupon websites such as groupon or the actual store and printing them up, also i have started buying a lot of the canned fruit make sure it is in natural fruit juice no sugar added , also same thing for veggies . and for rice and sides i always buy the generic out in florida for some reasons to me they are always better anyway i dont know where you live but im sure it is the same everywhere. also i get a lot of the healthy stuff when it goes on sale i stock up usually but it always works better i never buy the 100 calorie snacks i try to make my own little mixes...
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Shop at Hispanic or Asian grocers for produce! Last week I got kiwis 10/$1, blackberries 2packs/$1!
  • cookingwithtrace
    Options
    I just found this website yesterday but it looks interesting... http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/

My family is trying to count calories and keep a small budget so I do a lot of investment cooking. I cook a whole chicken and use it for several meals, I make a batch of chili, soup, or lasagna and package it for several meals.

Hope that helps.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    So, I am a preschool teacher at a non-profit organization; therefore, have very little spending money. For a long time when I would write out my monthly budget, food would be the last thing that I factor in. Actually, that is still what happens. Sometimes I only have about $100 for food for the whole month (atleast I'm only providing for myself). So, with that said, what are some low cost foods and cost free good habits that I should start incorporating into my new healthy lifestyle?

This is so hard! I tend to use a lot of special foods for myself, but here are my thrifty tips:

Coupons. A lot of times they are only for junk like candy and chips, but every now and then you can find them for lunch meat, yogurt, canned items, dairy. Read them carefully and keep them organized. I star things on my grocery list that I have coupons for.

Day Olds: Bread can be frozen, so when it is on sale or if you have a bakery outlet, buy it when it is cheap and freeze. To use frozen just defrost in fridge or toast / microwave it.

Bulk: Buying in bulk is more expensive intially, but it saves time and money to shop this way. A lot more grocery stores are selling things like oats, nuts, dried fruits and veggies, etc in bulk.

Grocery fliers and meal planning: Pour over the ads each week and plan your meals around what is on sale. It takes patience and time, but you'll soon see it is worth it-- I've run into weeks where there was a dollar+ difference between the same cuts of meat or sales on produce.

Cheers to you on your profession. My son attends a cooperative non-profit preschool and it provides quality education and play-based curriculum for much lower cost than traditional preschool.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest ethnic grocers and food coops. Indian food stores sell a large variety of lentils called "dal" that are mostly more digestible (ie, less gas-forming) than most beans. The spices come in large bulk packages that are the same price as the little bottles, and you and your coworkers could split a bag among yourselves. They have basmati rice cheap in big bags, too.

Homemade bread is cheap and easy, and it's better than anything you can buy. You can even save money on yeast by making sourdough bread -- you put some of the dough aside for another day and feed it flour and water each day so the yeast continues to grow.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    when i was single and on a much tighter budget i did alot of my cooking on the weekend and made things that i could freeze in portions to eat throughout the week and pack for my lunches. hopefully you are already packing your food for work, saves tons of money!