Using pedometer on phone?

Options
Recently, I downloaded a free trial version of Accupedo to my Droid2. I want to get up to 10,000 steps per day, as the health pros recommend. Figured since my phone is always with me, I'd give it a try.

I am still fiddling with the settings. Seems to depend on the activity & where the phone is on me. For example, when I walk holding it, the count is right on. When it's in the pocket of my pants, pretty close. When I do Wii step or the elliptical, I have to adjust the sensitivity up, probably because there is no continuous forward motion.

Most of my activity is indoors, so didn't go with CardioTrainer or ones that map routes. Just want a basic counter.

Has anyone found one they love?

Replies

• leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know about these so thanks
  • psvillars
    Options
    I've been using a combination of google maps to track just how far i've walked and these apps:

Pedometer: https://market.android.com/details?id=name.bagi.levente.pedometer

Smartexercise: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.tmh.ExerciseTracker

both are free
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    When I walk, I use the GPS+ on my iPhone, but just counting steps around the house, work etc., it isn't accurate at all. I don't count that stuff anymore because it is part of the daily activity that is already factored into my calories, but I did count steps some years back, and wore a little mechanical pedometer that I clipped onto my waistband. It was VERY accurate, and cost about $30.00 at a sports store.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you have a droid ... cardio trainer is pretty amazing and right on target if you set the numbers up right. BUT, it also drains the battery life ... and that is an epic fail ! :(
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    If you have a droid ... cardio trainer is pretty amazing and right on target if you set the numbers up right. BUT, it also drains the battery life ... and that is an epic fail ! :(

And you do have a droid 2 ! My mistake ... checkout Cardio Trainer in the Market ! :)
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options

I had looked into this one too. Do you have any problems with it keeping count when the screen is off? That seemed to be a common complaint. What phone do you use it on?
  • paxetamore
    Options
    I did count steps some years back, and wore a little mechanical pedometer that I clipped onto my waistband. It was VERY accurate, and cost about $30.00 at a sports store.

this may be plan B... the good old fashioned way ;-) thank you for the tip!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I don't have a droid. I just keep it old school.

m223106381.jpg
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I use both a Nintendo Wii/DS activity meter which is pretty accurate but doesn't have a display, and my ipod nano which has a loads more features.
  • Sassia
    Sassia Posts: 460 Member
    Options

I really, really liked this, but not the battery drain....
  • paxetamore
    Options

And you do have a droid 2 ! My mistake ... checkout Cardio Trainer in the Market ! :)

Do you set your phone screen to not time out?
  • nukehiker
    Options
    i have android phone and the app i use is called runkeeper. you can use it for running, walking etc
  • choccay
    Options
    hahah i love your pedobear pedometer
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I don't have a droid. I just keep it old school.

m223106381.jpg

here here! mine isn't as funky looking as yours though :smile:
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

Yep. Agree, found most of the phone apps like this drain the life out of the battery.
  • paxetamore
    Options

Yep. Agree, found most of the phone apps like this drain the life out of the battery.

I don't mind charging the phone while sitting at my desk at work during the day, in between movement. I may just have to give this one a try to compare with the one I am fiddling with now. Thanks for the reviews!

:flowerforyou:
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    The pedometer apps won't really do so well indoors. Get an old school unit - I will.

I've used CardioTrainer and IMapMyRun for my Droid and great for long outdoor walks where they get a GPS fix.
  • psvillars
    Options
    i worked pretty good with the screen off I'm using a nexus s 4g