Polar FT7 Not working after 5 months...1 swim

Options
Soooo annoyed,

My HRM has stopped working 2 days after I used it for the first time swimming. ( Its supposed to be ok upto 50ft deep) I just went in a regular pool, and as I bought it five months ago the shop wont do anything about it without a receipt. What will I do??!! I only have it 5 months, I assumed the battery was dead so replaced that, and that wasnt the problem.

Any advice?! Has this happened to anyone else with this watch/hrm?

PS the watch is working fine, its the heart rate part thats attached to the belt that doesnt seem to be sending a signal :(

Replies

• CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Is it saying heart rate signal not found? Try wetting the sensors on the strap first, then put the strap on , then start the hrm. Some people dont know about wetting the sensors.
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU!!! It worked!! Yay!! I used to use it religiously daily until moving house, and I hadnt used it in about 5 weeks, then started using it again last week, and it just seemed to stop working!

I totally fogot about wetting the sensors, thankyou so much for taking the time to reply...it cost me €117 ( a lot) so I was actually upset that Id no receipt after moving house!!

I love this website lol

xx
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I didn't have luck with in while in the pool but was okay afterwards......

If I were in your shoes I'd call the 800 number and talk at length with them about the whole thing. I had very good luck with their customer service folk....number is on their website.

Good luck, I know it is frustrating...we invest so much mental energy into their products and we just want to be able to rely on them!
  • dreamtoned10
    dreamtoned10 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Ps it didnt even say signal not found, it said nothing just made a weird noise, and occasionally said " Check heart rate transmitter" Just in case anybody has the same problem in future.
  • pereztech930
    pereztech930 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Good to know! i just got the FT7 black/silver last week. Last night at the gym it displayed " Check heart rate transmitter" during my cardio after my weight training session.

I did wet it when i first started, but i'll prob throw an extra splash before my cardio next time.
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    Glad it started working...I've worn my FT7 in water...do NOT push the buttons while wet! Just a warning!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Does anyone ever have an issue with yours giving you a 00 heart rate reading?? I get that every once and a while. The number will go round and round and round like it wants to give me a HR, but then it either tanks to 00 or jumps to something ridiculous like 203. So either I'm dead or had a heart attack! I clean the strap religiously with soap and water and this happens often. Any suggestions? Mine is also only 4 months old (usage wise).
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Does anyone ever have an issue with yours giving you a 00 heart rate reading?? I get that every once and a while. The number will go round and round and round like it wants to give me a HR, but then it either tanks to 00 or jumps to something ridiculous like 203. So either I'm dead or had a heart attack! I clean the strap religiously with soap and water and this happens often. Any suggestions? Mine is also only 4 months old (usage wise).

WEt the sensors before putting on...
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Yes. Make sure it's wet before you strap it on.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I had a problem getting my Garmin HRM and pedometer to resynchronize with my watch earlier this year when I had to change the battery for the first time. Since the battery ran down in the HRM, I decided to change the battery for the all of the devices (watch, HRM, and pedometer). I ended up calling customer support and told them about the problem I was having and they sent me a new HRM and pedometer within two days. They even gave me an upgrade to the premium model and expedited delivery since I had a century bike ride event I was planning on participating in that upcoming weekend. Everything synchronized perfectly and I was back in business. I have needed to replace the battery again this past month and did not have any problems. I thought about using it for my lap swim this past weekend, but decided not to risk it even though it is advertised to be water resistant. Garmin just introduced a new line of multisport fitness watches specifically for swimmers Forerunner 910XT
  • lukybug
    lukybug Posts: 209
    Options

WEt the sensors before putting on...

I just started having these same issues about 2 weeks ago. My Polar FT4 is a year old. I wet the sensors thoroughly. I don't know if it's the battery or what in Sam Hill is going on with it.

And that's too funny, "dead or having a heart attack" because that's exactly what I was thinking. I thought, "Damn, I'm really kickin' *kitten* today. I caused my HRM to completely stop working, because it couldn't keep up" LOL
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Yes, I have this problem! I have a Polar FT4 that's about 8 months old. The problem started a few weeks ago, and seems to be getting worse. I don't know what causes it, but I have to stop the HRM, and move the chest strap around over and over again until I finally get a normal HR. And yes, I always wet the sensors before putting it on, so I know that's not the problem.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Those "heart attack" symptoms sound like they could be the result of an ill-maintained strap. As well as wetting the sensors, the strap does have to be washed reguarly - rinsed after every use and machine washed every four uses I think the manual says.

If you don't do this, the fats from your body stop the conductivity, no matter how much you wet it.

I found this out after doing an internet search because I had exactly the same problem when I first bought mine. Because I'd only worn it for literally two minutes to see whether it worked, I figured it didn't need rinsing afterwards.
  • Carlton_Banks
    Carlton_Banks Posts: 757 Member
    Options

Yes, I have this problem! I have a Polar FT4 that's about 8 months old. The problem started a few weeks ago, and seems to be getting worse. I don't know what causes it, but I have to stop the HRM, and move the chest strap around over and over again until I finally get a normal HR. And yes, I always wet the sensors before putting it on, so I know that's not the problem.

There is a product called Buh-Bump that is an electrode gel that may help the sensors maintain contact during a swim. But, I've read in general that it can be kinda hit and miss when using a HRM while swimming.
  • EmmaShorter
    Options
    Mine kept loosing my heart rate too. Then I thought I haven't put it in the washing machine for a while. I try to wash it as much as I can in the washing machine but can be difficult to do as I often need it on the days I do the washing! LOL. Anyway I found that I was only tickling the strap with water and if I really soaked the pads I didn't have the problem anymore. Fingers crossed! Anyone know if you can buy extra straps?
  • TourThePast
    Options
    Anyone know if you can buy extra straps?
    Yes, you can definitely get extra straps. If your local supplier doesn't stock them, try eBay. :)

EDITED TO ADD They're about £15 new for buy it now on eBay, or if you're not in a rush you could bid on a few. :)
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    i wore mine once in a pool and it totally stopped working after that!!! I always wet it and it still doesn't work! When I initially put it on it will find my heart rate but as soon as I start moving it tells me to check it and it reads 00. Kind of useless if I can't get my accurate calories burned. But on a side note it did do that once before I wore it in the water but it does it now every time. I've only had it a few months as well and can't take it back! It really makes me angry!
  • TourThePast
    Options
    When I initially put it on it will find my heart rate but as soon as I start moving it tells me to check it and it reads 00.
    Have you washed the strap in the washing machine lately?
  • healthieryou
    Options
    My heart rate cant be found on my hrm sometimes or sometimes it says my heart rate is in the 200's. When do you know when the battery needs to be changed?
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    There should be an indicator on the watch that indicates it needs a new battery.

Trust me, I know that the pads need water. I did read the instructions LOL and I do wash the strap. It's also starting to stretch out no matter how much I make it smaller. I'll try that electrode gel - thanks!