eating at desk

Options
Eating at desk at work...do you find it annoying when other people do it? do you do it? do you think it really helps your day when you step away and have lunch or do you do better when you can just charge through?

Replies

• OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I carry " snacks " with me all day long ... but, I am constantly putting out fires, so no desk to sit at. But ... If I did have a desk job I would certainly snack at my desk ! And about lunch ... I have to leave ... it's the one hour a day I get to just " breathe ".. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I eat at my desk almost every day. I just play on the internet. It's way cheaper and healthier than going out to eat like many in the office do.

I do get annoyed when people bug me about work over lunch time. NOTHING is that much of a hurry to bug me at lunch, we just don't deal with critical items like that.
  • CraigG75
    CraigG75 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Since I have a desk job and almost chained to my desk so to speak. I have to eat at my desk, so I do it very often. We all do it at my job.
  • ashreneeknutson
    Options
    I must admit that I eat at my desk almost daily. If the gym here wasn't so crowded, I'd go work out during lunch. I usually use this time to do online shopping or homework so I get to spend more quality time with my family when I get home.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I eat every 2-3hrs. If I drive peeps crazy crunching into almonds or chewing or drinking, I don't care. Shoot every now and then I burp... "Ooops, excuse me!" Nobody has complained yet and if they do I will tell my boss, "If I don't eat, my production goes down. Do you want that?"
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I eat at my desk, there's a lunch room but I need the time to unwind, to chill.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I eat at my desk every day. We have a lunch room but I usually take the time to be by myself, relax, surf the net etc. Love my co-workers but I also need a mental break from everything ususally by lunch.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch at my desk, and then use the hour of a lunch break I have for something fun. They don't provide a table to sit at and get away from my desk and eat. So if I have to sit there and answer phones while I'm eating, I'd like to get paid for it. That's my logic anyway.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    I eat at my desk almost every day, but I use that 45 minutes as comp time that way i can leave a little earlier or come in later if needed.

I have my own office. I do get annoyed when people come in and eye my food though.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I always eat on the desk, I just don't have the time to do otherwise
  • amysuemartin718
    amysuemartin718 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I always eat at my desk... everyone in our office does. They look at me strange when I actually leave my desk and go out or go to the breakroom- they are in complete shock.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Eating at desk at work...do you find it annoying when other people do it? do you do it? do you think it really helps your day when you step away and have lunch or do you do better when you can just charge through?

IMHO, the only time it's annoying is when there are weird smells involved (fish, burnt popcorn), otherwise I could care less. I eat at my desk all the time as do many of my co-workers. I wonder if some crunchy/juicy foods like apples and pistachios are bothersome for others to hear me eating but no one has said anything so I assume it's not as bad as it sounds in my own head.

If I didn't go to the gym during my lunch break, I'd definitely eat lunch away from my desk. When I was on another floor, I'd spend every lunch break with a bunch of the ladies I work with. We had a room set up with a table and plants so it was a nice little getaway. Kept meeting for a little while after moving floors but once I started working out more, my gym time became more important than than social time.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Before I was a stay at home mom, I had a desk job. I tried to split it half and half between working through lunch (get home earlier, less stress at the end of the day) and getting out of the office and going for a walk to clear my head (out of sight, relaxation, breathe fresh air, exercise, clear mind). Once a week, I'd try to go out with friends, too.... so I strived for balance but I don't think I always achieved it.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I always eat at my desk. I have an "I"M AT LUNCH" sign I put on my bulletin board during my lunch hour then I sit there and eat and play on the computer.
  • twistofcain
    Options
    I usually eat at my desk and *kitten* around on the Internet while eating. I get annoyed when people can see that I am eating, yet want me to help them, but I guess that is the price I pay for eating at my desk.

I tend to get out of the office maybe once or twice a month just to clear my head, and if my day is bad enough I end up at the bar that is a block away.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I eat at my desk. Only place at work to eat! I don't mind! Just shut my door, listen to the radio and enjoy my healthy meal, knowing my coworkers are probably eating fast food something loaded with calories. :)
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Lol, honestly, reading all this, I am not even taking a lunch break, I eat whilst I am doing adhocs or fiddeling around with the rota. If at all I take the ten minutes to walk down to the post box and get a soup from the shop ... I still end up leaving the office after 6pm... I am doing something wrong here, ain't i? ^^
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Always at my desk. We have a break room but I hate using it to eat, it's right next to the bathrooms....the bathrooms are all tile so every sound from there can be heard from the break room.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm super thankful that I don't have a desk job, and I never plan to!! But if I had one, I'd definitely snack while I was sitting there. I'd have to get the hell out for lunch, though.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I eat at my desk everyday. It only takes about 15 minutes, then I'm back at it. I'd rather leave 45 minutes earlier than take a whole hour for lunch, though I realize I am lucky and not everyone has that option.