eating out of habit...

Options
So I finally figured out the cause of the extra pounds I've gained over the last 2 or 3 years;
me eating out of habit. :noway:

I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out but better late than never. Anyway, 3 years ago I became close with my (almost) step sister and she introduced me to a not so wonderful thing called "snacking all the time"
Slowly the weight began to pile on... (my metabolism is not as "good/fast" as hers... :grumble: )
Now that she lives with me the snacking has increased. (Which is not good for me...)
(people influence me very easily...)

And my question is... do you have any tips to break my habits of snacking all the time?

Replies

• presariofaded
    Options
    So I finally figured out the cause of the extra pounds I've gained over the last 2 or 3 years;
    me eating out of habit. :noway:

I don't know why it took me so long to figure it out but better late than never. Anyway, 3 years ago I became close with my (almost) step sister and she introduced me to a not so wonderful thing called "snacking all the time"
    Slowly the weight began to pile on... (my metabolism is not as "good/fast" as hers... :grumble: )
    Now that she lives with me the snacking has increased. (Which is not good for me...)
    (people influence me very easily...)

And my question is... do you have any tips to break my habits of snacking all the time?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Snacking frequently is not necessarily a bad thing. You want to eat 5-6 small (200-300 cal) meals daily.

It is more important WHAT you are snacking on.

If you are drinking your recommended water, and eating good, nutritious, healthy foods - honestly, you won't want to snack.
  • beautifullyjaded
    Options
    Snacking frequently is not necessarily a bad thing. You want to eat 5-6 small (200-300 cal) meals daily.

It is more important WHAT you are snacking on.

If you are drinking your recommended water, and eating good, nutritious, healthy foods - honestly, you won't want to snack.

i do agree that snacking throuhg out the day is not a bad thing.

BUT i dont think that you wont want to snak if you are eating the right foods. i eat well, drink tons of water but because i use to be / still am a bordem eater or an emotional eater anytime i get bored or upset i eat. it dosent matter if i just had a huge meal and am fullof good nutritious healthy food...i can still eat if i get emotional or toooo bored. i have a huge mental thing when it comes to food. i have to acctually mentally tell myself no all the time. i do feel that you can snack on healther things like baby carrots or cucumbers etc and it wont be nearly as bad as snacking on chips or cookies etc.
  • Stacey82
    Options
    I'm am horrible about eating out of habit. The kids come home from school and we have snack. I bake cookies or brownies as a special treat for the kids and I end up eating most of them just because I walk by them while the kids are at school! It's a terrible habit that I struggle with daily. I've made a point of forcing myself to drink a full glass of water every single time I reach for any kind of garbage that I'm only going to eat because it's there. It's not been easy...I have the biggest sweet tooth! And I do slip up sometimes, I don't want to completely neglect myself of those treats. But when I do decide that I really want a snack just because it looks good, I only eat half of what I used to. I also make it a point not to let that happen often. I keep a glass on the counter next to the faucet so that it's right in the open and I can get that just as easily as I could a snack. It really is a difficult struggle and it took some getting used to but because of it I'm eating much healthier! And once you start adding in all that extra water you really aren't going to be so tempted by snacks.
    Good luck!