Favorite food

Options
sm423
sm423 Posts: 210 Member
I have trouble making healthy meals that I actually like. (Or my kids actually like) I am a picky eater but am trying to come around and try new things. Just wondering, what are your favorite meals you like to make? Breakfast, lunch, dinner, or even snacks. I need all the help I can get, cause I seem to keep going back and forth between trying and giving up. And I just know I gotta keep pushing forward, no matter how many times I may fall. Thanks.

Replies

• stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Almond butter. My favorite meal is steel-cut oats with almond butter, a splash of almond milk, and cinnamon. OBSESSED.
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    Eggs! So quick and easy... scrambled eggs, on a plain slice of whole wheat toast with a thin slice of turkey! Yum! And for desert of course....A banana...cut into small slices...topped with peanut butter...that topped with yoghurt and but in the freezer for a few minutes....to die for :)
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    baked or grilled fish/chicken/turkey/ lean cuts of lamb/beef.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Stir frys are good!
  • cheekyleonie
    cheekyleonie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oooh I hear ya! I'm soooo fussy and it makes life very hard!!!
    I've discovered that smoothies are pretty good and yummy!
    Also, I like to make anything with Chicken!
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Even a roast dinner can be low calorie and relatively healthy, it depends what you do to them. Lol!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I have to admit protein is my favorite food. Eggs, fish, oysters, clams, crab, steak, cheese.....yum. Add some veg to any of them and I'm set.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I love carbs!
  • sm423
    sm423 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I will definitely try these out. ;)
  • patience842003
    Options
    I love food so I have a lot of favorites...

One whole egg w/ two whites topped w/ salsa
    White rice topped w/ marinated chicken and broccolli
    Grilled chicken, romaine lettuce, and rasberry vinaigrette
    Yogurt with wheat germ...LOVE this!!!
    Light wheat toast w/ PB2
    Bean soups w/ no or lowfat meat like chicken sausage
    Vegetable soups w/ ground turkey

to name a few... :-)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Stir frys are good!

I love stir frys because you can use less meat and disguise that with lots of low cal/low fat vegetables. You just have to watch the amount of oil you use and what sauces you add to it. I sometimes have it with rice (white as I can't STAND brown) or some pasta!
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So hard to pick a favorite! For dinner tonight, I made pasta with pesto and mozzarella chix sausages - total about 350 cal (I eat more at night so I don't wake up hungry) if you use only one sausage (I really like protein). It was delicious and flavorful! For the family though there are a couple things I would suggest:

1. Get everyone involved in planning meals and making them (if they're old enough)!
    2. Cook things that can be changed to suit each person, like an omelet - you can add pretty much anything to an omelet.
    3. Don't cook a second meal -- everyone has to try it if you make something new. That's how it was in my family, and if you didn't like something AFTER you tried it, fine. All of my sisters and I like most foods, and I will periodically try things I didn't like before and discover I do like them now, like spinach.
    4. Make new stuff (kind of going along with point 3).
  • amarneu
    amarneu Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Anything made in the Slow Cooker!
    Slow Cooker roast chicken is pretty awesome, I like to line the bottom with carrots, potatoes, onion, celery etc. then put a whole chicken on top with whatever spices you like, set it on low for around 6 hrs
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Pad Thai w/ extra veggies!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have an account on the foodnetwork.com - I love it! You have an online recipe box where you can bookmark recipes. There is a "healthy eating" section. It's awesome!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Anything made in the Slow Cooker!
    Slow Cooker roast chicken is pretty awesome, I like to line the bottom with carrots, potatoes, onion, celery etc. then put a whole chicken on top with whatever spices you like, set it on low for around 6 hrs

OHHH YES...
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love baked boneless, skinless chicken breast. You can add a salad or use some cream of mushroom with brown rice.

I just started making marinara again. Great with ronzoni tri color pasta!!. Add ground beef/Turkey/chicken = spaghetti. Add red kidney beans to that with a bit of chili powder = chili

Slow cook a roast w/baby red potatoes, celery & carrots

Baked pork chops or spare ribs with a nice salad