Plateau advice?

Options

Replies

• Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options
    Just take one day a week and eat double your bmr. This increases your fat loss hormones as well as encourages a whosh, or release of water weight you may be holding onto.

I love this advice! I haven't hit a plateau yet (thankfully). I'm a healthy BMI and just trying to lose the last few vanity pounds (maybe 7 - 12). Do you think eating this way would benefit me also? I'm 5'3" and 127 pounds (my ultimate goal is a really FIT 115-120) ... BMR is around 1250. I typically try to eat around 1300 - 1350 and then some of my exercise calories back.

Thanks!
  • splashwags
    splashwags Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just take one day a week and eat double your bmr. This increases your fat loss hormones as well as encourages a whosh, or release of water weight you may be holding onto.
    So if my BMR is 1,483 so I should eat 2966?

Yep. When doing this it is not necessary to eat back your exercise calories though. How many calories are you consuming daily?

Usually around 1360, some days a little over some day a little under and I usually eat some of my work out calories back. So should stop eating my workout calories back and try an intake of 2966?

Set your daily calories to 1400, don't eat exercise calories, and eat 2800 for one day. Your plateu will be no longer.

this. you're eating too few calories... don't want to starve your body and slow down your metabolism!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Great info, might give this a try as well. Considering I have been stuck for way to long.:flowerforyou:
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    bump for later =) great infos
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

I love this advice! I haven't hit a plateau yet (thankfully). I'm a healthy BMI and just trying to lose the last few vanity pounds (maybe 7 - 12). Do you think eating this way would benefit me also? I'm 5'3" and 127 pounds (my ultimate goal is a really FIT 115-120) ... BMR is around 1250. I typically try to eat around 1300 - 1350 and then some of my exercise calories back.

Thanks!

This definitely could help you. If you plateau, stop eating exercise calories back and have a spike day of 2500.
  • charlotte66
    charlotte66 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    some great advice!

i have been stuck at the same weight for almost 3 weeks but i think i dont eat enough calories usually net around 600 (somtimes minus) after workouts but eating the whole 1200 MFP has set me makes me stuffed!! shall try doubling my calories of one day. :happy:
  • 4theking
    Options
    some great advice!

i have been stuck at the same weight for almost 3 weeks but i think i dont eat enough calories usually net around 600 (somtimes minus) after workouts but eating the whole 1200 MFP has set me makes me stuffed!! shall try doubling my calories of one day. :happy:

I think you are right. You can't speed up weight loss. If you reduce too much, you will force your body to slow down and hold onto everything it has. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • pthomp2268
    Options
    I just got past a plateau last week. When I looked at my past diary, I noticed that although I was generally staying under my goal (1300), the quality of food wasn't the greatest (i.e. there had been some slippage since I first started). So, I really cleaned up my diet, focusing on lean protein, vegetables, and low-fat (or healthy fats like olive oil). In addition, I made sure I was drinking lots of water (again, this hadn't always been consistent) I also decided not to get discouraged like I usually do, and to take this as an opportunity to challenge myself and push myself harder to see what I could accomplish physically. So, I upped the intensity of my workouts. These steps immediately took me past my plateau.

Good luck to you! (BTW, do you think you're eating enough? I looked at a few days of your diary, and it looks like you might not be eating enough,,,)
  • mamajock2
    Options
    Good morning. Happy Holiday's. I think your concern about not losing weight is an issue we all have. The thing about calories is they are in everything we eat and drink. Some questions to ask yourself is if you're counting calories with everything you eat and drink? Believe it or not you would be surprised. I know one little Hershey Kiss is 25 calories. It's crazy because I know I could eat a lot more than that but I have to remember my calorie goals. Exercise is tricky! Try this out and see how it works for you. Change the time of day you are doing your cardiovascular exercise and your strength training. Try doing cardio in the morning and strength training in the evening. Vary the days you are doing strength training too. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so your scale could be reading muscle weight which can give you the illusion that you are not losing weight. I try to do a week straight of cardio and then a week where I do some strength training but not a lot. High reps and very low weights is the key. I think you will find that the change in your cardio routine and healthy eating styles will eventually show results in weight loss. Remember that skipping meals is not good, eating foods high in sugar are not good and eating too much process meat will not help you in your personal fitness goals. One last suggestion....you might want to go back and re-visit your fitness goals and see if they are realistic to you. Good luck and I wish the best for you.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options

np, hope it can help, i keep bumping it now and then so it will help people exp when I see over 100 posts on plateau help lol

I run my own weight loss page on facebook I grabbed this and my quitting smoking post and shared them here =)

ughh I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago that was probably the biggest contribute to my weight gain but all was worth it!
  • jplucheck
    Options
    I just got past a plateau last week. When I looked at my past diary, I noticed that although I was generally staying under my goal (1300), the quality of food wasn't the greatest (i.e. there had been some slippage since I first started). So, I really cleaned up my diet, focusing on lean protein, vegetables, and low-fat (or healthy fats like olive oil). In addition, I made sure I was drinking lots of water (again, this hadn't always been consistent) I also decided not to get discouraged like I usually do, and to take this as an opportunity to challenge myself and push myself harder to see what I could accomplish physically. So, I upped the intensity of my workouts. These steps immediately took me past my plateau.

Good luck to you! (BTW, do you think you're eating enough? I looked at a few days of your diary, and it looks like you might not be eating enough,,,)

yes the last few days have been super bad, getting over the stomach flu tried to force myself to eat but mostly focusing on fluids, most of the time I don't have a problem eating and excited about uping my calories!
  • jplucheck
    Options
    Good morning. Happy Holiday's. I think your concern about not losing weight is an issue we all have. The thing about calories is they are in everything we eat and drink. Some questions to ask yourself is if you're counting calories with everything you eat and drink? Believe it or not you would be surprised. I know one little Hershey Kiss is 25 calories. It's crazy because I know I could eat a lot more than that but I have to remember my calorie goals. Exercise is tricky! Try this out and see how it works for you. Change the time of day you are doing your cardiovascular exercise and your strength training. Try doing cardio in the morning and strength training in the evening. Vary the days you are doing strength training too. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so your scale could be reading muscle weight which can give you the illusion that you are not losing weight. I try to do a week straight of cardio and then a week where I do some strength training but not a lot. High reps and very low weights is the key. I think you will find that the change in your cardio routine and healthy eating styles will eventually show results in weight loss. Remember that skipping meals is not good, eating foods high in sugar are not good and eating too much process meat will not help you in your personal fitness goals. One last suggestion....you might want to go back and re-visit your fitness goals and see if they are realistic to you. Good luck and I wish the best for you.

Great advice but unfortunately my time is limited and can only workout at night, have to force myself after a long day at work, then on my days off I try a resting workout. I don't eat processed meat and try not to eat processed anything, I go all natural and organic, beef only in moderation (like once every couple of months, NO pork) most meals I make from scratch so I know exactly what’s in it and control sodium. Sometimes I am lazy and instead of entering in my recipe I look for one similar (bad to not be exact but I know it comes close) I also ALWAYS track my junk food because I try to be honest with myself.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great advice here :)
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options
    Thank you 4theking! I'm going to try this a see how my body responds. :smile:

One more question, if you don't mind? Should we focus on macronutrients while eating the added calories? Like keeping fat lower, protein where it is (1g per lbm in my case), and just upping carbs a lot? Or is leptin all about calories and not necessarily what kind of calories?

Thanks again!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    glad to see this post! Thanks to all who contributed great info.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options

np, hope it can help, i keep bumping it now and then so it will help people exp when I see over 100 posts on plateau help lol

I run my own weight loss page on facebook I grabbed this and my quitting smoking post and shared them here =)

ughh I quit smoking 2 1/2 years ago that was probably the biggest contribute to my weight gain but all was worth it!

Yep same here 12yrs almost smoke free for me and over those years gained 195lbs and lost 156lbs gained some back now getting it off again and for good this time! I did a post on quitting smoking think its burred tho in the posts lol
  • 4theking
    Options

One more question, if you don't mind? Should we focus on macronutrients while eating the added calories? Like keeping fat lower, protein where it is (1g per lbm in my case), and just upping carbs a lot? Or is leptin all about calories and not necessarily what kind of calories?

Thanks again!

Great question, it's all about the carbs. Carbs control leptin and the conversion of the thyroid hormone t4 to t3. Keep protein levels the same or a bit less than a normal day and consume lots of carbs.
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options

Thanks again!

Great question, it's all about the carbs. Carbs control leptin and the conversion of the thyroid hormone t4 to t3. Keep protein levels the same or a bit less than a normal day and consume lots of carbs.

Weeeeeee! "Guilt free" buttermilk pancakes for my afternoon snack ... here I come! :laugh:
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Options

Thanks again!

And that also might explain why a blood workup when I got pregnant with my 2nd child discovered a slight underactive thyroid. I had never had thyroid issues in my life, but had been on a lower carb diet prior to conceiving. Interesting! Thanks!