Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I have daddy issues.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Perhaps your friend is jealous that a man who probably has himself established or is on his way there is interested in you. I find *****y things like that always come from a place of jealously. Unless shes just *****y in general.

b*tchy sorry forgot no swearing.

you are canadian. i expect better from you.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    One of my best friends is 43 (I'm 24), when I was 18 I dated a 31 year old for 9 months (that's 13 years difference). Age is just a number. Tell your friend you are happy and she should be for you!
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    LOL. My father is the most honorable man I know. I ended up marrying someone 8 years older than me. We met when I was 19 and he was 27. No 'daddy issues' here as my father was always there for me (my parents are still married after 29 years) and he's the best man I know.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Huh. That really is an odd thing for her to say. I think that's a totally normal age difference...not that I am concerned about the norm....there's 27 years between my husband and I....and I don't have daddy issues! :)
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    It sounds as if your friend is the one with issues. My parents were 7 years apart. My daughter is 38 and is with a guy who is 45. Her first husband was 2 years older than she and an abusive ****** who I am happy to have out of the picture. The one who is 7 years old is kind, considerate, has a great sense of humor, a good father, but most of all, he really loves our daughter. Be happy with your older guy and he's not THAT much older!
  • hofdog
    hofdog Posts: 269 Member
    I dated a girl 15 years younger than me for the past three years, I am 41 now. We were great just had different goals at this point so went our separate ways but stay friends.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    I'm 47 and my DW is 37. And yes I'm daddy.:laugh:

Don't get advice from your friend.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    I would call it green envy, yellow-eyed monster. And she is your friend? LOL It's not the physical number, it's the connection you make with someone.

My Granddaddy was 22 when he married my Grandmother at 13. She had 2 kids, one at age 14 and another at age 15. Of course this was way back when. He died just 6 months short of their 60th wedding anniversary. She's now 90 years old and still going. I believe if this had happened in today's time it would have been considered rape. Just goes to show you tho that you never know who, when, how old, etc that your soulmate might be.

And pfffffffffftttttttttt your age differences is nothing! Now if you were eyeing Hugh Hefner, we might rethink this convo. LOL

Just do what you wanna do and be yourself!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Don't worry about her, she sounds crazy!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Ugh, I don't even see how 7 years is that big of a deal, I wouldn't listen to her. At all.
    I'm 21 and my partner is 25 so not a big age difference but I wouldn't have a problem if he was older than that (not at my age now anyway) as long as we still had things in common. You're a fully grown adult! :/ Some people never cease to amaze me in the things they come out with LOL
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    I believe she might not understand puberty and at approximately what age it occurs.

This. It can't be a daddy thing if he could not possibly be your daddy.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    ok you're very young (I don't care about the daddy thing) but I'm gonna throw this out there for what it's worth. Life is too short to waste it on ppl who make you feel bad.
    Friends who attack you (you feel attacked, you're defending yourself) or make you feel bad about yourself IN ANY WAY are NOT true friends.
    Dump her & keep the daddy
    That's my advice for life for what's it's worth

Merry Christmas
    That's a bit harsh. If you start throwing away people for making stupid comments, you aren't going to have many friends left.
  • Maybe she wants the guy you are dating or just has issues with the age difference which isn't that much a big deal. I've been on a few dates with people who are 10-15 years older than me when I was 18. Whats the big deal? Don't listen to her! My friends think I'm a weirdo for even going on those dates but I just don't listen! Do what makes you happy! :wink:
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    She's just being a b*tch. That's not much of an age difference. I think over 20 years old, you're mature enough to level with each other. Under that and each year can make a huge difference IMO. Two of the happiest couples I personally know have a huge age gap. One couple the husband is 20 years older. They have 3 wonderful children (one my best friend) and are very successful together. The other couple, the husband was actually a year older than the wife's father. The family of course had issues with it but the couple were immensely happy. I don't think there was a mental issue in either case. It's who they fell in love with, they can't control when the person was born.
  • mustang3
    mustang3 Posts: 68 Member
    Well if it makes you feel any better I am 27 and my boyfriend is 33.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    This is a classic example of what I like to call 'salon psychology'. Chances are we're all familiar with the stereotype of the woman seeking an older man in a relationship for reasons related to the shortcomings in their relationship with their father.

The problem is that this idea gets taken by a few people, may be shown in popular media (Dr Phil is great for empowering the uneducated to self-diagnose for example) and all of a sudden everyone is a therapist diagnosing others issues with no basis or real understanding of human psychology.

I would think there was not likely a lot of malice in her comments, just a lack of understanding of what she was actually saying.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    I only have ever fallen in love with older men. I never went over 7yrs age difference. Just coincidence. The first older man was a total loser, but funny and good in bed. The 2nd older man is now my husband, is not very funny, but great in bed and far from Loserville. During a two year split I even tried dating younger men. One was cute, smart, NOT good in bed. LOL, Glad I got my OLD man back and we're married. It's all GOOD! Your friend is HATIN'. If you're older than 18 you can choose how OLD you want your men. If he's as old as say, Hugh Hefner, then you just a GOLDDIGGA!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    She is incorrectly incorporating psychoanalytical theory into your situation. She is not only extremely jealous of you, but she is also extremely uneducated. Tell her to **** off.
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    I met my hubby in 1988 when I was 19 and he was 25. We married 4 years later - still going strong. :heart:

I'd ask her what kind of back @$$ward town she's from that 7 yr olds are fathers.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    I'd LOVE to date someone that much older than me! He would already have finished college have a stable job and know who he is. What about that isn't desirable??? Guys 19-23 most likely haven't gotten to all that. My parents are 6 years apart and have been married 20 years their relationship is great. I'd tell her it's none of her business who you date and saying things like that only make her look bad. I see only pros in dating a guy older so ignore her. =]