Clean "double double"

Options
I used to LOVE my coffee with 2 cream and 2 sugar, than I went down to 1 sugar and 1 milk

THAN I took my coffee with coffee whitner and splenda

Now I have not been having any coffee but I miss it so much,

My question: Is there a "clean" way to have coffee that would be similar in taste to adding cream and sugar?

Replies

• bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I cheat a little, Splenda and a mix of 2 tsp powdered "creamer" and 2 Tbsp Half and half.
    It's my little compromise.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I feel duped, I was looking forward to reading about a double double from In N Out.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people add cream to their coffee, it is completely unheard of here in Aus. Why not just use skim milk?
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Have a half a cup of coffee with one cream and one sugar, and maybe don't do it every day.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I like to drink my coffee with 2% milk. Skim milk just makes it taste watery and bitter. 2% has just enough to make it creamy, but not quite as much as half and half or whole milk.

I also mix it up so it's half coffee and half milk. It is so good!

I don't bother with sugar anymore.

I started doing this after I tried a Cafe Misto at Starbucks. The first few sips were bitter, and then all of a sudden, I found myself chugging it. I also had a conversation at the doctor's office about how the acidity in my coffee is affecting my digestion. My doctor doesn't want me drinking it straight black, and she said that mixing in cream or milk cuts the acid a little bit.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I said screw it - and I have a cup of coffee with a serving of yummy flavor creamer (every once in a while I have an afternoon cup as well - try and keep those days to only 1 or 2 a week and only on days I am working out to burn out the added caffine and such) I eat clean a good 85-90% of the time - so I figure if a cup of coffee with creamer is the worst thing I could do then it really isn't a big deal. I do have a tablespoon measuring spoon at work so I can make sure I only have one serving of creamer - cause I know I can get a little heavy handed if I try to eyeball it....

I do make myself drink 24 ounces of water in the morning before I have my cup of coffee.

I've also relaxed my stance on candy and carbs for the holiday season since it is always around - OK within reason - ok to have a mini piece of chocolate - not okay to have half the bag :)
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Serious question: if you view dairy products as fine (and I don't know if you do, obviously) - what would be 'unclean' to you about cream (and I assume we're talking about straight up cream, not some super processed flavoured 'creamer' or something)?

If you're looking for the least processed, why not go with homemade almond milk & a natural sweetener? I'm personally a fan of local honey and some fiiiine 18% cream in my coffee.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I know it's not totally clean, but they do have coconut milk creamer. I think it tastes pretty good and it has about half the cals of regular creamer.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I agree with the almond milk idea, or a bit of vanilla soy milk for a bit of sweetness as well.
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use a little bit of almond milk. Super tastey, with just a hint of almond taste. Once you get rid of the sweet, you'll never want sweet coffee again.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't get why people add cream to their coffee, it is completely unheard of here in Aus. Why not just use skim milk?

It isn't thick cream. Coffee cream is only about 10% butter fat.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Get fresh high quality coffee, brew it properly and drink it black. It's far superior that way.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Because skim milk tastes like feet. I prefer liquid non-dairy creamer.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I feel duped, I was looking forward to reading about a double double from In N Out.

Me too. It's the only double double I have ever heard of.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I came here thinking we were celebrating the return of the NBA season....
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Get fresh high quality coffee, brew it properly and drink it black. It's far superior that way.
    Amen. Really good coffee doesn't need anything to mask bitterness, poor brewing or low quality beans.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    1. The Double double is the best fast food hamburger on the planet. Boo Yah.
    2. Drip is not good. Ever. Espresso pump. Best. Saeco machine, all others are inferior. What you add to the coffee is an afterthought. If you start with inferior, it all downhill.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    1. The Double double is the best fast food hamburger on the planet. Boo Yah.
    2. Drip is not good. Ever. Espresso pump. Best. Saeco machine, all others are inferior. What you add to the coffee is an afterthought. If you start with inferior, it all downhill.

Truer words were never spoken.

Maybe go protein style to lose the bun so you can spend your carbs on fries. And always yes to raw onions. Mmmmm.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

I agree completely with what you have said (until the Saeco part). Good yes, but not the best home machine you can buy. I have my eyes on a Rancilio Silvia for xmas, fingers crossed! :)
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Have you tried a coffee made from a Clover Coffee machine? Starbuks owns the company now, but they were sold for around $10k at one time. Anything from the Clover machine or French press is perfect black. Adding sugar or creamer ruins the flavor.

I stay away from the edible petroleum products. I met someone working for Nestle last year. He informed me that the Coffee Whitener division of Nestle is their largest business unit. Seems the world likes their coffee whitener much more than they do chocolate.