I still eat junk

Options
I am fairly close to my weight lose goal and exercise 5 or 6 times a week. I met my goal of fitting into my size 4 jeans a few months ago but definitely have some strength related goals I still want to achieve. I continue to track my food and exercise as I strive to tone and maintain what I have worked so hard to achieve.

However, as I have increased calories, I find myself choosing junk food. I am back to my fountain cokes and sweets as calorie fillers. Somedays I am still within my calories and other days I exceed but not significantly most days. I set out to lose weight and achieve a healthier lifestyle but now I have trouble staying motivated to eat well when I am able to maintain my weight without making the healthier choices that helped my lose the weight.

Anyone have any tips or sources of motivation that have helped you through this?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    try limiting the junk to one day a week
  • lobbylobster
    lobbylobster Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't give yourself the option of choosing junk. Take a bottle of water with you, flavoured with lemon juice etc if you like. Don't buy sweets, don't keep them in the house, replace them with nuts, fruit, healthy stuff. If you REALLY feel like junk food, have it, denying it will only make you binge. It seems like you're just slipping into old, easy habits.
  • jman8108
    Options
    Thermogenesis...aka Calories in vs. Calories out. While the sweets wont fill your micronutrient needs, as long as you still hit your target macro's you will lose/maintain/gain like you want to. A lot of good nutritionists say to follow the 80/20 principle with this. Get your whole foods in first then treat yourself with a small portion of your filler calories, that way your body gets all the micro's it needs to function at its best, and you go to bed happy. Sidenote- I have no clue how you drink fountain coke, gives me gut rot badly.
  • nessajk
    Options
    I don't have real motivation tips, I guess. I know it's hard, but once you break yourself of the junk food/soda habit, it then tastes bad. I swear. I'm no food saint, but now that I eat mostly whole foods, I find that stuff like soda or snacks with MSG and tons of salt make me gag. See if you can get through a week without, and I think you'll notice a difference if you try eating it again. Your taste buds change. A piece of cake now will make me twitchy from all the sugar. Good luck!