Runner Must Have's

Options
So I don't consider myself a "runner" just yet but I'm getting there. Debating on joining a running club when I can run 6 miles nonstop. What is some of your favorite gear to have as a runner?

Replies

• Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I am just recently a runner but.. Reflective Gear, Blinking Light, good Shoes, comfortable clothes that can be layered. Sweet beanies!
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    good shoes with running insoles that keep your feet from getting sore, dry wear tracksuits that wick away the sweat lol!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I've run with my local running club (a la meetup.com) and they welcome all runners, not just ones who can run a 10K. I'd say join sooner than later.

My running needs are Nike+ Sportband, running tights, headband (like the wooly one that covers your ears but you can still wear your hair up) and second good shoes and reflective gear.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I ran for a long time (also newbie runner) in a tshirt and heavy basketball shorts... right now my favorite gear is finally breaking down and getting a pair of nike dri fit running shorts and a couple of dry duo tech shirts.

The first thing I got before anything else was a good pair of Saucony running shoes, cause shoes are the most important.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Definitely a Garmin!!!!

And Yak trax if you plan on running on the ice!
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wait to join the club.... Do it now! You will see once you join you will get closer to those 6 miles than on your own!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes (I prefer Saucony), good socks made of wicking material, underwear that won't move and migrate to the wrong places and weather appropriate gear.
  • elspencero
    elspencero Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes are a must. I live in Portland so a hat with a bill to keep the rain out of your face is also key.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    SUMMER: garmin, HRM belt (soft), shuffle/headset, spibelt, shoes, great socks, shirt, shorts, underwear? :blushing:
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Used on every run:
    Good shoes
    Better socks
    iPod
    Yurbuds (they're worth the money. trust me)
    Garmin Forerunner 305 with Heart Rate Monitor
    Armpocket Sport 20 (a little bulky, but it holds my iPod, cell phone and keys all in one)

I have a Camelback Delaney Plus which I use when I go on my LSD runs, it's mehtastic. It seems all it does is bounce around and want to fall down, but I think most of the problem lies in the fact that I have no *kitten* any more.
  • meghan_cr
    Options
    I don't consider myself a runner by any means, but there are a few things which I have found to make my running more enjoyable. I have a run belt that holds two small water bottles and has a pouch for Gu/phone/keys, etc. Also really like that it has an ID tag with contact #s in case something happens. Love my Sugoi running knickers and Moving Comfort sports bra (cannot live without it!). I use RunKeeper on my phone to keep track of time/mileage and for music.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Running shoes fitted at a running store
    running hat/cap
    running belt to hold my phone and good ear buds that don't fall out to listen to music
    Runkeeper app that I use on my phone to track distance, time, speed
    gum - must chew gum while I run so I am not so thirsty
    Good stretching program after my run
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Is there anything specific like name brand or anything that you couldn't live without? I could use some running apparel but not sure what's good.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    1) Good running shoes, get fitted at local shop
    2) Garmin, being an accountant I adore my Garmin
    3) Comfy socks
    4) A DAMN good running bra! I like my Champion bra but you need to test them out in the fitting room. No up/down or side to side...

I have liked my New Balance, Nike and Mizuno shoes equally. I adore soft socks that are thicker on the heel to prevent slipping.

I love my Camelbak for hot days and my Spibelt for other days, I carry my cell phone and a key always.

I love NIKE for bra tops which I layer over my sport bra. Runningskirts.com has some cute tops, skirts & socks.

In winter you need hat, gloves, jacket, ear muffs.

http://www.runningskirts.com/
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Great skirts :heart: I will be getting some :flowerforyou:
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the answers depend on where you live and what your climate is.

In the spring, summer and fall I wear running shorts, a good running bra, and usually a t-shirt or tank. Not too worried about wicking or anything. Good shoes. Good insoles.

In the winter I wear Pearl Izumi running tights and a long-sleeved running top. Sometimes gloves. (Yeah I ran in gloves yesterday and they didn't match because I couldn't find a matching pair on my first outing with gloves. :laugh: )
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    THIS IS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO SAY "I DON'T CONSIDER MYSELF A RUNNER". IF YOU RUN, YOU ARE A RUNNER. THIS ONES FOR YOU!!

If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for 20 years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.~ John Bingham
  • k8bugz
    k8bugz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes, get fitted at a running store!!!! = essential.
    I was too shy to get fitted at a store so tried to figure out what my stride was on my own - ended up wearing the completely wrong shoes and really hurting myself. Now I'm in physical therapy, haven't run in weeks and can barely walk. And all I really want to do is go for a run.

Another essential for me: clothes that make me feel good.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Good shoes, good socks, great music.

And sunscreen. :happy:
  • Alexdur85
    Alexdur85 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Great advice and now I have a list of things I "need" lol.