zumba with a bad back?

Options
so i went to good life fitness today and i saw one of the zumba classes. I really wanna try it but with all the hip movement i'd if it'll bother my back. I was just wondering if anyone with a bad lower back does it?

Replies

• lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    so i went to good life fitness today and i saw one of the zumba classes. I really wanna try it but with all the hip movement i'd if it'll bother my back. I was just wondering if anyone with a bad lower back does it?

Be careful if you do it!!! I have a bad back and taught Zumba for a few years. As soon as I stopped teaching, my back has gotten so much better. I control my movements and know what I am doing, but if you don't, you can do some serious damage..... I teach special needs classes now, so. Toned them down, and take a few classes here and there, but you have to keep your abs tight and watch what you are doing for any of those hip shaking moves!!!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Backs are tricky things. I can do Zumba and dance and kickboxing, but I can't simply stand in one place for ten minutes. I also have to limit my walking. Yours may be completely different from mine and triggered by different things.
  • wo1wendy
    wo1wendy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I stopped going to Zumba because of my back and went to a chiropractor. I didn't like having to go to him every week and so stopped. Just recently I have found a personal trainer who has a circuit class and kickboxing in her gym and she is helping me find ways to work with my back and strengthen it. once it feels a lot better she will show me what to avoid so I can go back to Zumba. at least for the last 6 classes. I have a problem with a knee too and she is showing me how NOT to put stress on it.
  • ziggle_7
    ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Although it looks like a blast i think from the sounds of it i'll save it for a time when i've lost more weight and strengthened my back more. I have exams and Christmas coming up and i'd like to not be out of commission for them lol. Thanks for all the advice :)
  • krystalkwakernaat
    Options
    Zumba is very hard on the back, I often find that my lower back hurts after a class! Now Im a beginner and most likely am not doing it just right however have you thought of trying it on a Wii? Maybe youll be able to limit your movements a bit more :)