for Aussies- Bread?

Options
Hi all you Aussies.
I'm just wondering what bread/s & wraps you all use & their calorie count per slice.

I've been trying a few different types but find some have a huge calorie count.
I use sourdough from woollies a lot for the low GI ( dietitian recommended) but it's hard to get a correct calorie count on it.
I shop mostly at Aldi's and Woolworth.
Thanks

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Look for Mountain Bread near the lebenese bread. 70 calories per wrap.
  • shunyata13
    shunyata13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they carry it but Mission flour tortillas is 150 calories and the multi grain one is a little lower. Arnold's Health Nut bread is 120 calories per slice. Usually the multi grain is lower because they don't use as much bleached flour.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I think Choice did a review recently and included things such as calorie count, fat, sodium and value. I'm pretty sure its one of the free reports on their website.

I think one of the Burgen breads came out quite high on the list, it's pretty good and you can get in most Wollies/Coles etc.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I make my own sourdough bread for the low GI. If you want, I can send you the recipe. Just "friend" me or send me a message. Though I'm not an Aussie and my measurements are all in cups, I don't know if you use grams instead?
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I make my own sourdough bread for the low GI. If you want, I can send you the recipe. Just "friend" me or send me a message. Though I'm not an Aussie and my measurements are all in cups, I don't know if you use grams instead?

we have cups...

thanks, just teasing, I'll add you.
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I really need to work on my inter-continental relations and figure out who uses metric and who uses . . . what do you call the other? I've seen it called "US", "customary", "English" and a few things not fit to print.
  • sarahmumtothree
    Options
    I buy the Mountain Bread wraps also.
    Haven't actually had bread since i've been watching what i eat. But we buy Helgas bread.
    The light rye has 700kj for 2 slices if that helps?
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    I'm TRYING to stay away from bread, but might have to try some of your alternatives :)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Anything with seeds has a big calorie count. I slice my own sourdough bought at a very fancy schmancy bakery, so at least I can control the portions, and control the calories that way.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Also, mountain bread is a good substitute in enchiladas and nachos for tortillas and corn chips, but if there is any moisture in your wrap it disintegrates.
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'll be looking into this mountain bread and the Helga's I think.
    Yeh I noticed all the grain breads I like are high calorie.
    Thanks everyone.
    I love my bread and don't want to give it up just adjust it to suit.
    I'll keep working on it.
  • kellylara93
    Options
    Look for Mountain Bread near the lebenese bread. 70 calories per wrap.

AMEN!

I love them!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I usually buy Helgas - either wholegrain or quinoa and umm... something.
    They are around 100 cal per slice but are nice and grainy and delicious. Personally I'm not a fan of low cal bread - if there isn't much energy in it, then there isn't much point in eating it, in my opinion.
    My other favourite, though I haven't had it for a while is Baker's Delight Cape Seed loaf. Yum! Not low cals, but full of grainy goodness!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wholemeal Country Split is really low, 2 slices = 111 calories.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Another one to suggest Mountain Bread. I got put onto that stuff when I did SureSlim (ugh) and its really amazing!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump