Second time is a charm. :)

Options
The first time that I really lost weight was about two years ago. I weighed 265 and lost 60 pounds within about 4-5 months. I was so happy during that time that I told everyone. After I didn't get the support that I once had, and while family issues/death happened, I gained it back. Nearly double. I started about 8 weeks ago at 315.5 and have since lost 25 pounds. This time around is different, though. I don't make it as known as I did before, and when people say that it's such a great accomplishment, I just don't get it. I keep saying that when I hit 60 or 70, then I will be proud of the weight that I have lost. Even though 25 is such a feat for me.

Has anyone else gone through the same thing? I think I am just afraid of failing again, though I have complete confidence in myself that I will not fail this time. (Contradictory, I know!) And I'm not trying to sound discouraged, because I already feel more energized and see a little bit of a difference, I guess I'm just more cautious this time around!

Hope everyone is having a great day, and good luck to you all!

Replies

• jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've had problems in the past with being too proud of weight loss accomplishments and let myself indulge/ get lazy. I realized that I had to stop getting ego highs from it if I was going to be consistent and keep it going. I'm at that point now. I was so happy to be under 200#, I just kind of took it off my priority list to count calories. Then something will happen, like I see a picture of myself and think, "Oh, yeah. I'm still pretty overweight." Sigh. It does have to be a resolve thing, I think. Not a rewards system thing. Buying the smaller clothes and looking better and having people compliment you are temporary rewards, in that they only make you feel good for a moment. Feeling good, having energy, being healthier, and getting to live longer are the long term rewards of weight loss/healthier lifestyle. And the way I see it now is I don't fret over the fact that I haven't gotten to my goal, I don't let it be a source of anxiety because if I do, it demotivates me. The days I do good, I count calories and exercise, I know those are days that I am healthier. It's sort of like a smoker and how they progressively get healthier each day they don't smoke. Yes, the fact that they did may cause them harm. But every moment they don't smoke is a gain in health. Every moment we take care of ourselves, exercise, eat healthily, those are gains in health no matter where we are today.
    I read an article recently that may have a little to do with outside motivation, here it is: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2067745/Want-know-secret-successful-weight-loss-Dont-tell-youre-diet.html
    Good luck to you, too. Feel free to add me, if you like. I need more friends.
  • keg619
    keg619 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I read that article, and it's perfect. I think before it was more about my ego; everyone knowing what I was doing and getting the attention for losing the weight. Once I hit a plateau and stopped losing the weight, I began losing the support and motivation that I wanted. Now that I haven't really told anyone, just a few close friends/family members, and the members on MFP, I feel better about myself. I don't feel like I have to rush this, and I can focus on myself instead of pleasing others. Thank you for your support and advice. :)
  • Empress17
    Options
    I completely understand where you guys are coming from... After I had lost weight on my first- time around on MFP, I fell off the wagon and have recently gained back half of what I had lost- not happy about this. :/ I had told a lot of people how much weight I had lost and was so proud, maybe too proud. So, this is my second time back on this site and I'm setting goals, but also being very cautious who I tell my weight loss too- prob just my mom and my best friend- I don't want to jinx myself again.
  • ChasingHaven
    ChasingHaven Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat here. I lost 30 pounds a couple of years ago. At the time it was halfway to my goal weight. I got lazy and decided to 'take the holidays off'. Deaths in the family, death of a good friend and the death of a friendship pretty much sunk me and I never got back on track. Two years later I'm finding myself up 50 pounds and that much farther from my goal weight.

It's taken me a bit to get back on track, but I'm off to a good start and I'm determined to reach my goal this time. I was doing this with a group of friends at one time, but this time I'm on my own. It just makes me more determined to do it and I haven't been too outspoken about it this time. I kind of like keeping it 'my business' and it helps me feel like I'm in control after the last two years have felt so totally out of my control. This time it's for me and no one else! : )
  • keg619
    keg619 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Empress17- That is something that I'm cautious about; who I tell! I have co-workers on here (3) that know what I'm doing and my aunt who I started with. I didn't even tell my family, but they found out. I have been putting up the number that I have lost each week on Facebook, but think I will stop doing that and only do it for every 20, or when I reach my first goal weight. I am so afraid of slipping up again, and keeping it to myself sounds like the best option!

ChasingHaven- I was halfway to my goal the first time as well. I went through the same thing as you: holidays, deaths and a friendship that ended badly and left me crushed. I also feel like I am the one that is in control this time. I'm glad that you all have gone through the same thing, it helps a lot.

Good luck to you! :)