I think I just disproved starvation mode!

Options
My name is Emma and I eat below 1200 calories a day (lol)

Due to medication I am on which lowers metabolism and particularly decreases fat oxidation I have to eat under 1200 or I gain. When I started on here I got slaughtered and told I would lose muscle and hold onto any fat etc etc.

Well guess what, I have lost 9lbs, and all of it has been fat. i have not lost any of my muscle. (Had all this properly assessed today).

It has taken 3 months but it has been a safe, healthy loss, and I know that what I have done in the last 3 months, I will be doing for life as it is healthy and sustainable.

This is not to promote eating under 1200 calories as not everyone could necessarily lose healthily on that, but just to allay the fears of those who are in a similar boat and are in fear of the so called magic number.

I credit a huge part of this success to doing the leangains approach, as it suits my natural appetite patterns, and has enabled me to lose fat without losing muscle.

So I am very pleased!

Replies

• katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Congrats. And yes, we all try to support, but we are not doctors! And if that is what your doctor recommended with the meds, then that's what you go by. EVERYTHING you do changes when you're on medication. Congratulations. :)
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well congrats on losing your weight!!!:flowerforyou:
    However, your post does not disprove starvation mode. It disproves myfitnesspals sweeping generalization of what starvation mode MIGHT be.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a quack, its a crutch people use in my opinion when they can't figure out what adjustments need to be made to continue progress

If one were truly starving, they would Iose weight
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    If your metabolism slowed because of medication, you will absolutely need less calories than the average person. You just have a different baseline than everyone else.
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You didn't disprove starvation mode for everyone... only for people in your unique situation. Congrats on losing weight though!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately those who attacked me before didn't take into account my individual situation. I don't need to disprove starvation mode, science and research do that!
  • chickielou
    Options
    I always thought starvation mode was a long term affect that screwed with metabolism over time.

I would be interested to read more about the lean gains theory. theres so many theories out there, kinda like the same as parenting theories, you really just have to research and do what is right for you and what you want
  • chickielou
    Options
    I always thought starvation mode was a long term affect that screwed with metabolism over time.(which is why I thought I have issues cos of on and off eating probs when younger)

I would be interested to read more about the lean gains theory. theres so many theories out there, kinda like the same as parenting theories, you really just have to research and do what is right for you and what you want in life and finding that nice balance between health and happiness
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Good for you on your weight loss!!!!!
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Yeah, weight isn't as cut-and-dry as the low bar of 1200 makes it seem to be.
    I often go under 1200, and I don't think I'm doing my body a disservice.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    ]You are exceptional l case.
    You have lower metabolism because of medication so your BMR is lower than regular person that 's the reason you are not in starvation mode. Other people they will lose muscle mass including their organs since those are muscle also.

Congrats on the weight loss!
    You know your body better than anyone else so you did what is rignt for you.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Starvation mode is a quack, its a crutch people use in my opinion when they can't figure out what adjustments need to be made to continue progress

If one were truly starving, they would Iose weight

You are the bomb - right from when I joined MFP you have given me sensible advice!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Starvation Mode is real. You were on medication that changed your metabolism, therefore you are not in a normal category. That's like a diabetic claiming that they proved too much sugar is bad for you. It's bad for a diabetic, but not for a normal person. Starvation mode is real. Someone just posted a thread yesterday telling her story and her battle with starvation mode, and trying to repair her metabolism. Go tell her it's not real.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    Starvation Mode is real. You were on medication that changed your metabolism, therefore you are not in a normal category. That's like a diabetic claiming that they proved too much sugar is bad for you. It's bad for a diabetic, but not for a normal person. Starvation mode is real. Someone just posted a thread yesterday telling her story and her battle with starvation mode, and trying to repair her metabolism. Go tell her it's not real.

My metabolism has always been on the low side, the beta blockers are only one aspect.

I base my beliefs on science and research, not individual stories. I am however VERY open minded if anyone has peer reviewed research that has shown this phenomenon, but I have not come across any. The widely cited Keyes study showed that the majority of lowered metabolism was attritutable to lower weight, and that weight loss did not slow significantly until the men were at extremely low body fat levels. Yesterday I came across another study that showed subjects on an 800 calorie a day diet with strength training were able to drop fat and not lose muscle. (Need to find link - I THINK it was in the Eat Stop Eat ebook)

Metabolism may slow with very low calorie diets but not enough to offset the laws of thermodynamics.
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is Crap.

You don't see too many fat people walking around in Ethiopia and from images of detention centres from Wars do you...

I am pretty certain they are under 1200 cals a day...

Not eating enought to be healthy is true, "starvation mode" is bullsh1t
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is Crap.

You don't see too many fat people walking around in Ethiopia and from images of detention centres from Wars do you...

This ^^^
    I used this same argument at the gym against so quack trainer.
    There is a difference between "starvation" and "malnurished"
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    If you mean 'starvation mode' in the way it's thrown around in here (OMG you'll go into it after an hour/skipping a meal/you'll eat all your muscle). Then it is crap.

You however are completely different to most people and this shouldn't be a green light for everyone to just start eating as little as possible.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    Well congrats on losing your weight!!!:flowerforyou:
    However, your post does not disprove starvation mode. It disproves myfitnesspals sweeping generalization of what starvation mode MIGHT be.

perfectly put. Going under 1,200 calories does not throw someone into starvation mode LOL...no magical number XD I eat less than 1,000 and am losing *did not lose on 1,200 nor any higher amounts, exercise or not <-- after my i became a healthy weight*

ps: congrats OP :D
  • emmab0902
    Options
    If you mean 'starvation mode' in the way it's thrown around in here (OMG you'll go into it after an hour/skipping a meal/you'll eat all your muscle). Then it is crap.

You however are completely different to most people and this shouldn't be a green light for everyone to just start eating as little as possible.
    lol i'm not that different, at the end of the day we are all governed by the laws of thermodynamics. And yep I did point out in my original post that it wasn't intended to suggest under 1200 was for everyone, just that it's not the recipe for losing muscle and storing fat that it's often made out to be.
  • Pixxie12
    Options
    Starvation mode is Crap.

I totally agree - well said!