I have runners block.

Options
I want to go farther, and I want to go faster, but my mind keeps winning the battle. I run 5k at about 6.3mph, and that is as much gas as I've got. The other day I managed to ramp up my speed to 7mph for 15 minutes, but I still only ran 5k.
If I slow down to 5.5mph or less, I feel like I'm barely moving, and it feels awkward.

How do I get past this mental block?? I'm mostly treadmill running because I won't run outside at night. I managed a bit of outside time last weekend, but decent days are few and far between.

Replies

• beatlegirl1
    Options
    Try listening to music while you run. It really helps me.
  • tessjk
    Options
    I guess my question is, how often do you run in a week? I do also run myself and completed my half marathon 2 months ago. What I usually do, I add cross training on the days I don't run. It does improve my stamina. I usually run 3X/week. I also include 15-20 mins strengthening exercise.
    I hope this thing helps you. Good luck.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think that it might work better to work on either going further (at a slower speed) or faster (for the same distance).
    Do you have a program to follow? Maybe look at an interval plan to built up pace and distance gradually.
    Oh, and I agree with the cross training idea. I've started doing a body weight strength circuit in my garage on non-run days and I think that's really helping.
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I guess my question is, how often do you run in a week? I do also run myself and completed my half marathon 2 months ago. What I usually do, I add cross training on the days I don't run. It does improve my stamina. I usually run 3X/week. I also include 15-20 mins strengthening exercise.
    I hope this thing helps you. Good luck.

I run 2 or 3 times a week, and do the elliptical or stationary bike on 2 other days a week. I also do 30-45 minutes of strength training after all my cardio. I really think its mental, and I can't get past it. LOL... Frustrating! I just started running/jogging at the end of July doing the C25K program.
    And yeah, music is a must, or I probably would get bored at the 10 minute mark.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... I can't go very far when I run at a decent pace (~6 mph), but if I'm not running that fast, then I don't enjoy running. I'm definitely bumping this. :)
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It may be time to take it to the street, and get off the treadmill.

If you can't do that, start playing with the different programs on the treadmill.

OR, run a mile, get off, walk around the treadmill, do a few stretches, get back on, run another mile, then repeat the process. It doesn't matter in the long run if you take small breaks in between each mile. It doesn't mean you won't be able to tackle the longer distance non-stop one day. I had this problem on one of my running route- I'd stop at the same intersections, or landmarks. So I switched up my routes, took an unplanned walk break beforehand, which helped get me past those mental stopping points.

It's just a mind game. Find a trick to confuse your mind. :smile:
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have 3 small children (ages 4, 5 and 6) and I can't take off to run so I'm stuck with the treadmill in the garage. What I've done in the past to gain speed and distance is use the C25K and B210K programs for interval training. Whatever my fastest pace is/was I would use for the walk portions and for the different runs I would use higher speeds. If at any point I REALLY felt like I couldn't handle it I would drop down to no lower than my fastest speed. I started this 09/21 with my fastest speed 5.5 mph and as of today I can comfortably run 4 miles at 7.5 mph.
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have 3 small children (ages 4, 5 and 6) and I can't take off to run so I'm stuck with the treadmill in the garage. What I've done in the past to gain speed and distance is use the C25K and B210K programs for interval training. Whatever my fastest pace is/was I would use for the walk portions and for the different runs I would use higher speeds. If at any point I REALLY felt like I couldn't handle it I would drop down to no lower than my fastest speed. I started this 09/21 with my fastest speed 5.5 mph and as of today I can comfortably run 4 miles at 7.5 mph.

worded perfectly...
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    First off congrats on getting to 7mph!

It sounds like your issue is more power & strength in your legs rather than endurance... i'm talking from personal experience so this may not apply to everyone but what helps me most is doing interval training to get me to a higher speed or I end up stalling. I also do weight training on my days that I'm not running to help strengthen my legs for higher speeds. Like if I do a heavy strength session on Sunday and rest it off on Monday, my legs almost always feel like wings and I have a good run on Tuesday. You could see if this works for you.

I also liked J.R. (AZTrailRunner)'s idea of changing up your routine. Sometimes it takes a little tweaking to get your mind & body ready to give you something new.

Be patient with your training and work your way up.. we don't walk before we crawl. Good luck! :-)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    My suggestions (albeit from a non-runner) would be:

1. Add some resistance training into your shedule (not really heavy but 12-15 rep set type level), squats and lunges would be ideal.
    2. Interval training. If part of your issue is fitness, do some interval training as this is a great way to build up your cardio vascular fitness.

Good luck and happy running...