Are you into fashion and spend big money on it?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
My DW and family josh me all the time because I'm usually either wearing shorts or sweats and t shirts or tank tops. Holidays I wear Dockers with a nice shirt, but other than that I don't really care about being fashionable. I used to dress up back in the 80's and 90's but spent so much money on clothing and primping up. Now that I don't worry about trying to impress anyone with clothing, my life feels so much easy going. Don't get me wrong, I do buy clothes and when I do I will get decent quality, but since I've worked at gyms for over 20 years now, my attire is gym attire and I really enjoy sporting it.

I know so many people that dump their paychecks or charge up their cards to have designer clothing, shoes, jackets, etc. Personally I don't really see the point because IMO it's what's under the clothes that counts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. I usually wear jeans and T-shirts and enjoy 4-wheeling in the mud, shooting guns, and doing other "boy" stuff. When I do dress up, my skirts and dresses are comfortable and not necessarily fashion forward but not out of style by a decade also.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I don't spend a lot of money on clothes, either. I do have a lot of nice things, but I didn't spend a butt load of money on them. To be honest, most of my "nice" clothes comes from places like Marshall's and TJ Maxx which are known to be less expensive. I also spend some money in Good Will...a lot of the things that people toss out are not bad at all. I got a pair of Gap jeans from there for $3.50, and they still had the tags on them!!! I tried them on, they fit, and I saved around $40 by not going to the Gap.

On shoes, bathing suits, etc. I will spend the money on them though. My shoes last a long time (except gym shoes which I get for Christmas anyway) and for bathing suits...well, no way in h-e-double hockey sticks I am wearin' someone else bathing suit. :laugh:

Anyway, I do my best to look nice all the time, but I wear what's comfortable to me, what I think looks good, etc. and NOT necessarily what's "in style" or whatever.
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I never saw the point in spending massive amounts on clothing either. Then again I have 3 children (2 of which are under 3) so the odds of my clothes staying nice are pretty slim to begin with :laugh: My idea of a good time is heading to Goodwill or Value Village and finding name brand clothes at awesome prices. I love being able to say "you spent $40 on that shirt?! I got mine for $5" :smile:
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    I enjoy nice clothes and shoes - I lived in Italy for almost 5 years and did my fair share of shopping (I own 100 pairs of shoes).

I also believe it's what's underneath however I really love a beautifully wrapped present and that's what clothes are for me - the Gift Wrap. They accencuate the curves and hides the flaws - the right LBD can make me feel like a million bucks!!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    not I. I have 1 pair of jeans that semi-fit (currently a little baggy) and maybe 5 pairs of shoes and a handful of tee shirts, then the work garb (slacks, skirts and tops). What I do have, for the most part, I have had for a while and don't splurge on myself anymore.
  • krist3ng
    krist3ng Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My idea of a good time is heading to Goodwill or Value Village and finding name brand clothes at awesome prices. I love being able to say "you spent $40 on that shirt?! I got mine for $5" :smile:

This is so me!

I am always the weirdo who knows exactly how much her whole outfit cost (and it's probably under $40). I would like to have a nice wardrobe, but first of all I want to wait until I am happy with my figure (boo hoo) and secondly, I am so bad at fashion, being your typical t-shirt and slippers nerd-face.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Im a jeans and tshirt girl but Im really starting to like getting dressed up! But Im too cheap to spend much on it. I only shop places like Marshalls or TJMax for my shoes. Just got a killer pair of stilletos for 25 bucks that were originally 165. ChaChing! I love Goodwill too. Most of the time its a giant bust but when its not - its amazingness.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't wear designer anything. I like forever xxi and places like that where I can get cute stuff for cheap! although I actually hate shopping right now, but I'll love it when I'm at my goal weight. that's actually one of my big motivators.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Definitely not. I've always been the one that would take his $100 for school and buy 2 pairs of jeans, 3 or 4 shirts, socks and undergarments... and my neighbour would take that same $100 and have one pair of Jeans, better name but because he only had one his would wear out before either of my cheap ones...

Thrift stores all the way, it's nice grabbing a nice piece of clothes cheap, but most of it I couldn't tell you what were the big names in fashion just if I like it or not is what matters.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a clue how to shop or wear anything other than jeans and a tshirt. But I have a secret desire to hire a personal shopper and get a total wardrobe makeover. Maybe someday.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i am really into designers, but don't spend that much actually haha...i shop at thrift stores (not ripoff goodwill, but the actually cheap + good material privately run ones).

I buy a good amount of low-end high-end stuff~although I get great deals. I have a couple of birkenstock-style marc by marc jacobs i bought before coming to japan...around $25 each and retail is around $150 or $200 each (i forget).

point is i hit up sales and shop around ^.^ i really love fashion though so...to me it is fun and is a hobby so to speak.

i do buy louis vuitton full-price though (since it never goes on sale)...i really like it because of the design, nice material, and because of the label...it never goes out of style...just becomes vintage :D my favorite sweater is an lv runway piece...i have worn it regularly for YEARS and it is still just as soft, warm, and cute as when i first got it ^^

I tend to wear designer accessories (although i get them all on sale except lv)...and i get treated much better wearing these ^^

while i agree what is on the inside matters most, the truth of the matter is that we are judged in a lot of ways by outward appearances (study after study shows that pretty people are seen as nicer, more reliable, smarter, more trustworthy etc...and fashion can help boost appearance). Also, for some of us, fashion is fun...also you have to keep in mind that each person has different purse strings ^^

Nothing wrong with not being into it as you are prob saving some money there, but we all have our own priorities which determine what we decide to purchase~some people spend lots of money fixing up cars, on action figures, memorabilia etc...i think it is just one of those things
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i don't spend alot of money on clothes at all. i don't see the point when in a couple of years the fashion is totally different anyway. so i buy cheaper brands, but update regularly.

i can't fathom why people would buy an item that costs hundreds of dollars. just seems daft to me. Clothes really aren't made to last these days even if you buy them expensive.

when i was young, i spent alot of money on a pair of Dolce and Gabana Jeans, and the first time i wore them, to work, in an office, about 3 studs popped off, i mean, that was the most money i'd ever spent on jeans, and so they were promptly returned.

i spend money on sports shoes, because i want something good for my feet, but that's about it, anything else, usually only lasts a season or 2 anyway.

and don't get me started on people who spend hundreds of dollars on getting their toenails painted... seriously, has anyone ever actually stopped you on the street and said "wow, your toenails look fantstic?" and really, does it look that much better than when you do it yourself?
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Guilty. Not all of my clothes are "designer", but most all the clothes I own are high-quality and usually pretty pricey. I don't buy designers for just the name though, I actually really prefer custom tailored clothes. Compared to most women I know, I own very few shoes, bags or items of clothing, it's also not very "trendy". I have a distinct style and I like to buy pieces that I can take care of and wear for a long time. High quality and long lasting pieces are important to me and I'm willing to pay for them.

I do spent quite a bit on custom suits, jacket and skirt separates, etc and they are worth every penny. They fit perfectly and look amazing, I could never find such clothes off a rack.

But when I'm not at work or out, I live in work out clothes. So I'm not a super crazy fashion obsessed person. More just my job and life demand me to look nice and wear expensive clothes.
  • messyinthekitchen
    messyinthekitchen Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I don't spend too much money on everyday clothes. $60 jeans $30 shirts. My formal wear however I spend money as I want to look put together.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    As a rule, if I'm going to spend extra on clothes it's for the ethics (fair trade, organic etc) or the quality, not the label. I have bought a few things recently that did not fit those rules and I have a real love of Etsy too, but really, if I pay more, I expect to get something more than just a label!
  • orcoast71
    orcoast71 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I am jeans and t-shirt girl. I am able to dress that way at work. I will say that I do spend money on shoes. I have about 50 pairs. The shoes I wear are what I call practical everyday shoes. I try to find bargains online. My favorite brands are Bogs, Dansko, Keen, Merrill, Chaco, Roper, and Ariat.
  • david581c
    Options
    big money?

I wanna say no but the heart says "yes, yes"

H&M is my addiction.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do consider myself fashionable and I do put money into how I look; however, I don't think it is too different than you working out so that you look...and feel...a certain way. Dressing is about how you wish to carry yourself.

Dressing--pulling off a particular style--is just as much about confidence as it is comfort. If you purchase an off-the-rack suit from Boscov's, it's not going to hang correctly and it is going to feel uncomfortable. I'm not trying to suggest that price is directly proportional to comfort or style. But buying a suit and wearing it out is just as incomplete a process as going to the gym and only running on the treadmill.

Personally, I don't own a single pair of sweatpants. I can't remember the last time I wore jeans and a tee-shirt without at least a cardigan over it. Frankly, I feel much more comfortable in a well-tailored suit. Or slacks, a dress shirt, tie, and sweater. The same way you develop a relationship with a personal trainer, I suggest this: When you find a tailor you trust and a tailor whose work you appreciate, keep working with him or her as long as you can.

Actually, same goes for barbers, stylists, cobblers, bartenders, and just about anything else that interests you in life.
    -wtk
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I used to be a jeans and tshirt girl but since I lost the weight, I discovered I actually like wearing nice clothes! I've spent A LOT of money last month on a new wardrobe. :)
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm middle of the road. I don't shop a lot/as a hobby, or have a very large wardrobe, but I like what I do purchase to be of nice quality and to last a long time. I will now spend a little more on gym clothes because the nicer material in better quality gym pants makes a huge difference!!