why sugar makes us sleepy and protein wakes us up

Options
A really interesting article on the orexin system. Orexin is a neuropeptide that regulates a bunch of stuff, from sleepiness to hunger to how energetic we feel- in the words of the author, Jonah Lehrer, "it links the needs of the body to the desires of the mind." Eating foods with high sugar content lessens the production of orexin - which makes us not want to get up and exercise, starting off a cycle of sugar and laziness.

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2011/12/why-sugar-makes-us-sleepy-and-protein-wakes-us-up/

Replies

• RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Its why they recommend carbohydrate pre-bed snacks to improve sleep quality especially for insomniacs...and it works! Based around the theory a hungry animal won't sleep and will want to go hunt!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Hmm. So what happens if you have a lot of chicken, assorted nuts and a load of sugary fruit before bed?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hmm. So what happens if you have a lot of chicken, assorted nuts and a load of sugary fruit before bed?

You will rush outside to hunt, but fall asleep on the verge before you catch anything?
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options

You will rush outside to hunt, but fall asleep on the verge before you catch anything?
    LOL

Or, I fall asleep, but when a bison wanders past, I suddenly wake and catch it, before falling asleep again!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Now I've read the article, I'll stop being frivolous and say thanks for a great read.
    I have been wondering if all the "must eat protein" directives were just hype and carb-hating but this article certainly makes a good case for protein for energy.
    And I love the line he used about added-sugar foods: "We eat them for the energy boost, but the empty calories in these foods make us tired and sad instead. " I know such things aren't good for me, but they are hard to resist. I'm going to try and remember this next time I'm tempted by chocolate. Or at the very least, make sure there is some actual protein with my sugary overload - chocolate covered almonds here I come!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

LOL

Or, I fall asleep, but when a bison wanders past, I suddenly wake and catch it, before falling asleep again!

This would explain why I'm always waking up outside hugging random wild animals...
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options

LOL

This would explain why I'm always waking up outside hugging random wild animals...

bahahahaha...
  • Jacquibennett
    Jacquibennett Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That was really fascinating, thanks for sharing :smile: