Here's WHY women should weight lift. Peer reviewed studies!

Options
2»

Replies

• SharadaRose
    Options
    :drinker: Bump...Very cool thank you!!
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    While I wholeheartedly agree with the message of this article, it's misleading to say that it's supported by peer-reviewed sources. They refer to studies, but don't cite them, so there is no way of telling whether said studies actually support the claims made by the article.

I'm not saying I disagree with what the article is saying (except maybe the EPOC stuff), but I think it's important to hold ourselves to the same level of accountability as those whom we critique.
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)

Thanks for such an informative article. I do not currently lift weights but after reading this I def need too :)
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Bump, Great article. I'm now seeing and hearing this a lot these days!
  • treatingmybodyright
    Options
    Great info!!!
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading this. I get excited over studies that should be labeled, "When science proves the obvious" hehe :)
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    bump
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump so i can read for later. :)
    Thanks
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Great article- going to the gym now!!! :smile:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    What's more, increasing that afterburn is as easy as upping the weight on your bar. In a study in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, women burned nearly twice as many calories in the two hours after their workout when they lifted 85 percent of their max load for eight reps than when they did more reps (15) at a lower weight (45 percent of their max).

Just don't rely exclusively on the scale to track your progress in the battle of the bulge. Because muscle is denser than fat, it squeezes the same amount of weight into less space. "Often, our clients' scales won't drop as fast, but they'll fit into smaller jeans," says Rachel Cosgrove, owner of Results Fitness in Santa Clarita, California. And it's the number on the tag inside your bootcuts you want to get lower, right?

Yes, yes, yes.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Niner tells it like it is, as usual! There are definitely some people on here who need to heed this advice. Keep 'em coming!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    bump. i was just going to post a question regarding this topic. you beat me to it. thanks!
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    wouldnt trade lifting for all the cardio in the world! great post :-)
  • laroycer
    laroycer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post.
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!

I love lifting weights. It makes me feel strong and powerful. A lot of women have the misconception that if they lift weights they'll get bulky, like a guy. I am glad to see more women doing weights at the gym now!
  • ksmorck
    ksmorck Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump