High fiber, low carb foods?

Options
Hi, due to a health condition, I aiming for about 30 grams of carbs a day or less, but I want to up my fiber intake. Can anyone tell me what foods are very high in fiber but very low or absent in carbs? Those on low carb diets like the candida diet or atkin's, how do you get your fiber? Thanks.

Replies

• hannahro
    hannahro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    fiber is a kind of carb.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I drink Walker Diet shakes; inexpensive, low carb, high in protein, and lots of fiber.
  • MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    raw veggies! work in a healthy salad with your meals. You could also take metamucil which is psyllium husk and not absorbed by the body.
  • QueenStromba
    QueenStromba Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The following foods have more fibre than net carbs:

Flaxseed/linseed has 27g of fibre and 2g of carbs per 100g.
    Shirataki noodles have about 5g of fibre and 1g of carbs per 100g.
    Celeriac (celery root) has about 4g of fibre and 2g of carbs per 100g.
    Mushrooms have about a gram of fibre and half a gram of carbs per 100g.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi, due to a health condition, I aiming for about 30 grams of carbs a day or less, but I want to up my fiber intake. Can anyone tell me what foods are very high in fiber but very low or absent in carbs? Those on low carb diets like the candida diet or atkin's, how do you get your fiber? Thanks.

more vegetables and fats will help you move things along. I dont believe one needs to take supplements...any daily recommendation of fiber isn't true.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    VEGETABLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're already supposed to be eating at least five servings per day! 9 servings would be better. Eliminate grains.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    fiber is a kind of carb.

um, no.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    fiber is a kind of carb.

um, no.

um, yes
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    fiber is a kind of carb.

um, no.

So then teII me something genius, why is fiber Listed under total carbs on a nutrition IabeI
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    There are soIubIe and InsoIubIe fibers
  • BeeElMarvin
    Options
    Sorry, my error, wish I was a genius like others. I just had it in my mind that fiber can offer the benefit of offsetting the negative effects of carbs on the body (at least in my case, as a diabetic). I'll step out now and leave this to the resident genius.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    beans are high in fiber and relatively low in carbs,
  • LilLolo22
    LilLolo22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Flax seeds, chia seeds, mustard greens, collard greens, avocados, broccoli, spinach and asparagus are my go to. Avocados can be yourbest friend!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    veggies
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options
    Sorry, my error, wish I was a genius like others. I just had it in my mind that fiber can offer the benefit of offsetting the negative effects of carbs on the body (at least in my case, as a diabetic). I'll step out now and leave this to the resident genius.

The diabetic benefits wiII depend on which type of fiber you consume, non the Iess, fiber is stiII a carb
  • mleczkowska
    Options
    Try sugar free orange flavor Metamucil.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Are you shooting for 40g NET? Or 40g total, regardless of the grams of fiber?

Check out Quest Protein Bars - questproteinbar.com

All natural, gluten free, high fiber (17 - 18 grams), high protein. Net carbs are 4 - 5g per bar!
    And they taste amazing! Unlike ANY other bar on the market!
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    I take fibre supplements, usually psyllium husk in some format or other, easily available from any health food shop. Veg too but that can start to load up the carbs depending which veg you choose. but I'll check out some of the suggestions here - maybe the protein bar if I can get it in the UK.
  • BeeElMarvin
    Options

The diabetic benefits wiII depend on which type of fiber you consume, non the Iess, fiber is stiII a carb

Got it chief!
  • ImNotStarving
    Options
    fiber is a kind of carb.

She said low carb, not no carb. As in... broccoli is healthier than a chocolate chip cookie...