changing taste?

Options
I'm normally a total chocoholic. But after a few weeks off the stuff, I had a pack of malteasers today... or rather, one malteaser. Why one? Because it tasted... blah. Too sickly, too sweet. Very strange, as I normally love malteasers. There's nothing wrong in terms of my tastebuds- everything else tastes the same.

I also noticed lately that I'm finding even semi-skimmed milk very sweet after being on skimmed for a while.

Can tastebuds actually change? Is it possible for a raving chocolate fiend to turn into someone who can't have more than a very small piece of chocolate without getting overwhelmed at the sweetness?

Is this a diet thing? Or an age thing (my parents both say they loved chocolate as kids but are ambivilant to it now, and prefer dark to milk)?

As helpful as this change is, I'm not sure it doesn't trouble me a little :P

Replies

• TudorRose
    TudorRose Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm normally a total chocoholic. But after a few weeks off the stuff, I had a pack of malteasers today... or rather, one malteaser. Why one? Because it tasted... blah. Too sickly, too sweet. Very strange, as I normally love malteasers. There's nothing wrong in terms of my tastebuds- everything else tastes the same.

I also noticed lately that I'm finding even semi-skimmed milk very sweet after being on skimmed for a while.

Can tastebuds actually change? Is it possible for a raving chocolate fiend to turn into someone who can't have more than a very small piece of chocolate without getting overwhelmed at the sweetness?

Is this a diet thing? Or an age thing (my parents both say they loved chocolate as kids but are ambivilant to it now, and prefer dark to milk)?

As helpful as this change is, I'm not sure it doesn't trouble me a little :P
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Nope it is your body making the necessary changes :noway: and your taste buds getting in on the act :bigsmile: .
    I now walk around the supermarket (After 14 weeks of being on MFP) thinking I do not need :noway: to go down that isle:tongue: (chocolate and sweets) anymore as I no longer crave them:bigsmile: Or Diet Coke (gave it up almost 4 weeks ago now) :flowerforyou: and have to mix water with my fruit juices:noway: because they are too sweet :love: .
    The longer you continue to eat good whole food :laugh: the more your body will NOT want Fast rubbish food:noway: and your taste buds:devil: will be the ones telling you as much.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
    Cry and you cry alone.
    Smile and you will have the world wondering what you have been up to!
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Certainly our tastes change as we get older- most of us don't like the super-sweet treats we liked as kids!:noway: Although I still LOVE chocolate:heart: , I've found my tastes have become more refined as I get older- now a small piece of dark chocolate often hits the spot. Also, since I no longer eat the sweets I used to and no longer drink diet sodas, I am satisfied MUCH sooner now when I do eat chocolate.:flowerforyou: Finally, you may also have a genetic base for your taste changes. If everything else is fine, just enjoy the fewer calories!