I am thinking of incorporating strength training....

Options
I currently run and do circuit training (like kickboxing/aerobics) and I am thinking I should maybe start toning, I am down 27lbs total and I still have about 100 to lose. I was thinking I would wait until I hit the 50lb mark before I would focus on strength training and toning (more than just squats and crunches). I am wondering if it is best to strength train after cardio or if I should take 2 days a week and do strength training instead of cardio? Also if I incorporate strength triaining I am sure it is best to incorporate more protein. Is it better to have protein before or after the strength training? TIA! =)

Replies

• missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm also wanting to add strength training to my workouts, so I'm interested in replies...
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Strength training before Cardo for the simple reason of you want to be freshest when you lift to reduce the chance of injury. Feel free to do do cardio when your done with your strength training it won't hurt. Also make sure to give your body a rest every now and then so your muscles can heal and grow.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Don't wait, start weight training today, it'll accelerate your weight loss, and here are loads of other reasons why!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/414956-here-s-why-women-should-weight-lift-peer-reviewed-studies

I honestly think it's better to keep resistance and cardio in separate workouts so you can do them to the best of your potential rather than being too tired from one to do the other properly.

Aside from that, look at your goals and do what meets those first so that exercise gets your full attention. For example, when I'm training for a running race I run first THEN weight train.
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Don't wait, start weight training today, it'll accelerate your weight loss, and here are loads of other reasons why!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/414956-here-s-why-women-should-weight-lift-peer-reviewed-studies

I used to weight lift about 5yrs ago and I didn't realize it had so much affect! Thank you for the article it definitely helped! =)
  • TaraFTMVA
    TaraFTMVA Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Strength training before Cardo for the simple reason of you want to be freshest when you lift to reduce the chance of injury. Feel free to do do cardio when your done with your strength training it won't hurt. Also make sure to give your body a rest every now and then so your muscles can heal and grow.
    Thankyou! I can see why that would make sense, hopefully I can fit in both strength and cardio because my time is semi limited.....maybe just do a little less cardio since I am incorporating strength training now....
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a kind of cardio. I am no expert, but in P90X you do three days of strength, 3 days of cardio (alternating)..so as to let your muscles rest b/t strength days. If you are going to incorporate them, I do some of the ones on Netflix like the Crunch Burn and Firm Pilates, which has strength incorporated into the cardio, so I get both :) Good luck!! I agree you should start now with strength, I never knew the advantages of strength training till recently...it helps with all around weight loss and fitness :)
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I did lots of strength training in October and it made a HUGE difference in how I look. I didn't lose much weight in October, but I looked much, much thinner. I need to do that again.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    check out the book, New Rules of lifting for women. It's awesome and I borrowed mine from the library. :)
  • eabohannon
    eabohannon Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started taking my health seriously about 3 months ago. My best friend lost over 65 lbs by just eating differently and doing cardio. However, she warned me against it because now she has to go to therapy because even though she lost all that weight, she didn't strengthen the muscles and now has knee problems.

As my trainer would remind me, everyone's plan is very different, so seek out someone to help make yours who knows your goals and history--lots of gyms offer complimentary consultations. Here is what I do: 2-3 days strength training with a 5-10 min cardio warm-up before doing core/balance/lifting exercises. As others have mentioned, doing a longer cardio AFTER won't hurt you, but I but careful with doing long cardio THEN strength training.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I was doing Turbo Fire 6 weeks after having my second daughter. Now she is 12 weeks and I just started Insanity. Its a great work out plan if you are wanting to tone up. I have pretty much lost all of my baby weight but I still have that flabby stomach thing going on. Already 3 days into the program and I feel great! I feel my muscles getting stronger and my skin getting tighter (which happens when you lose body fat) so yeah, if you are looking to tone up..definitely check out Insanity. Don't worry..I am not trying to sell it to you.. I just know what works for me and maybe it would work for you =) Congrats on the weight loss..that is awesome!!
  • firefly171717
    firefly171717 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Strength training is great! You should have it in any work out plan, just cardio is good but doing both will really imporve yoru fitness and your health :-)
  • Never too early to start building muscle!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Definitely start weight training sooner than later. I can think of a number of examples I know of where people added weight training and it jump started reductions in their physical appearance (they had been losing weight but not seeing expected results in pants sizes and such).

As far as cardio, I think it's good to combine cardio and weight training in the same workouts. How you incorporate it is more a matter of personal preference. My wife really likes to do it circuit style where she does a weight training exercise, then does some cardio then another weight training and then more cardio and so on. On days when I do both cardio and strength, I like to do the cardio first as a warm-up. I haven't had any problems with it really killing my energy level for lifting, however I'll admit I do keep the intensity down a bit (no intervals). I know others who like to do the cardio at the end for reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.

So try whatever method sounds best to you and if you run into trouble try another and see if that works better for you. But regardless, do start the strength training sooner than later. I think you'll really like what it does for your overall body appearance.