Quick foods low in sodium?

Options
I'm always on the go (three kids and I work full-time)...and that leads to canned soups often.

I've gone over on sodium everyday this week (my diary is open). What are some good lunch foods low in sodium that I can just pick up and go?

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/03/recipe-index.html
    :)

Can you pack your meals the night before? That's what I normally do for my university and I normally pack a natural PB or pb2 sandwich, apple, yogurt, and granola bar for later in the day.

Some stores also have good salad mixes, so you could bring one of those with some carrots or fruit. I also like making sandwiches at home and having edamame or carrots. Or, bring a banana or apple and some pb on the side, yum! Just some quick ideas!

For dinners, sometimes as a student I have to resort to frozen meals. I like frozen veggies and Smart One/Lean Cuisine steamers, as well as Lean Pockets.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine spa cuisine meals are not too bad. A lot less then the soup you are eating. I always add extra cooked veggies to them to make them more filling.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    i make a big pot of soup on sunday.....put into containers and grab and go for lunch! I also buy the perfect portions chicken, put some seasoning on it, bake @ 350 for appx 30 minutes and take that will me also for lunch. It can be baking while getting ready in the AM.

I try to eat every couple of hours....so breakfast at home, then some nuts (again, I pre-package in baggies on sundays for the week) or fruit around 9:30ish, then my chicken around 11:30 - 12:00; then the soup around 2pm.....I may throw in another peice of fruit in there some where too.

this keeps me full and it's super simple, especially the soup! I also make my own broth so very little if any sodium!
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    I just noticed in your diary that you had chicken pot pie soup......try this recipe from skinnytaste.com, it is awesome! And you can make your own broth, or buy no sodium boullion and voila! A low sodium homemade soup for the week!

The taste of chicken pot pie, in a soup!

Chicken pot pie is ultimate comfort food and this creamy, chunky soup is loaded with chicken, potatoes,
    mushrooms, peas, carrots, corn, celery, onions and green beans in every bite. You can modify this with the
    vegetables you like to suit your taste. If you want to get fancy, you can serve this in hollowed out bread bowls
    or serve it with cut-out baked pie crust (extra points).

This recipe requires cooked chicken breast. If you have raw chicken, poach 3 breasts in water for 15
    minutes, then remove and dice into bite-sized pieces. This soup is filling! One cup filled me up, but if you
    want a larger serving, I posted nutritional info for a bowl as well.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes

Servings: 9 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Old Points: 3 pt • Points+: 4 pts
    Calories: 169.2 • Fat: 1.2 g • Protein: 18.5 g • Carb: 21.2 g • Fiber: 2.3 g

Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1 bowl (1-1/2 cups) • Old Points: 5 pt • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 253.8 • Fat: 1.8 g • Protein: 27.7 g • Carb: 31.9 g • Fiber: 3.4 g

1/4 cup flour (to make gluten-free use 2 tbsp cornstarch instead)
    2 cups water
    4 cups fat free milk
    1 large celery stalk, chopped
    1/2 medium chopped onion
    8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
    2 chicken bouillons
    fresh ground pepper
    pinch of thyme
    10 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
    2 potatoes, peeled and cubed small
    16 oz cooked chicken breast, diced small
    salt

Create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup of the cold water with flour in a medium bowl and whisk until well
    blended. Set aside.

Pour remaining water and milk into a large pot and slowly bring to a boil. Add celery, onion, mushrooms,
    chicken bullion, thyme, fresh pepper, frozen vegetables and return to a boil. Partially cover and simmer on
    low until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove lid, add potatoes and cook until soft, about 5
    minutes. Add chicken, and slowly whisk in slurry, stirring well as you add. Cook another 2-3 minutes, until
    soup thickens, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Options
    bump
  • dargytaylor
    Options
    I also noticed that the chicken you have is high in sodium (240)......like I stated in my original post, maybe try perfect portions chicken from perdue, they only have 90 grams of sodium (for the plain, not italian style, etc).

sorry to be posting so much, but I keep thinking of things as I try to watch my sodium intake also! :smile:
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Oh don't worry about posting so much!

I was super shocked to notice the chicken had so much too. I'm like...but it's chicken!!! Healthy, protein!!!

I like the soup idea. I haven't ventured out into making my own soups yet. That one seems really easy. I'm kinda/sorta a dunce in the kitchen when it comes to homemade stuff

I've been eating every few hours too. I HAVE to or else I'm sprawled out on my desk by 2pm drooling and withering away. :laugh:
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    As a kid I used to HATE it when my mom made soup, because I knew we would be eating it all week... but her soups are pretty yummy, so I didn't mind too much.

Making soup is easy! You can use carton broth, Better Than Bouillon (a pasty alternative to the cubes), or make your own! And you can do what I call a "pantry dump" by using up some of that canned stuff that you don't normally use, or using leftover veggies, etc. But the only way you can totally monitor your sodium intake is to make the broth/stock yourself:

I buy a whole chicken (seasoned inside and out), place it in a pot with some celery, garlic, carrots, and an onion (note: you can leave the outer skin on the onion. These veggies will not end up in your soup, just there to flavor your stock). Then I fill the pot up with water till I cover the chicken. Most of the time the chicken starts to float, so that's when I know how to stop. Then you bring it up to juuuuuust boiling and back it down to a simmer. You don't want to see big bubbles.

Skim the scum every once in a while, and add water as needed. When the chicken falls apart, I know I'm done! Strain into a large container, leave in the fridge (overnight is best) so all that chicken fat floats to the top and gels. Shred the chicken, chop some veggies, throw it all in a pot, put in the broth, and BAZINGA! Soup!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I make my soups lower in sodium with CelibR 'Chicken' bouillon cubes. I rarely use the salt shaker, salad dressings, and high-sodium sauces. I eat a lot of raw vegetables with fresh ground black pepper and Napa balsamic grand reserve (available online). No sodium and naturally thick and sweet. I aim for less than 1500 mg. sodium per day, and meet that goal most days.

I do this for general health. I do not have high blood pressure or cardiac risks. Nor do I retain water. I simply want to get used to enjoying my food this way, and possibly avoid future health problems.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm usually against worrying about sodium, but those canned soups are so salty my eyes dry out. I like to make my own soup and freeze it in 1 pint plastic zip loc containers. If you buy enough containers and make soup every weeek you can build up a soup bank in your freezer.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options

Dammit! I can't eat anything anymore! :grumble:

I never knew that!