Chia seeds help to fill a person up...

Options
2»

Replies

• skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tried out the chia seeds this morning, mostly to get more fiber into my diet. I'm not sure if I ate too much (1 tablespoon) but it's making my belly feel weird. Is this the "full" feeling? Doesn't certainly feel like a normal "full" feeling.

And it gets stuck in my teeth too! even if I mix it with water.
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's all in your head, the filling up idea is just a mind game u are playing with yourself. If u are still craving something it's not gonna be able to out wit your brain.
  • lacieloyd1
    lacieloyd1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i felt like i got hungrier too!
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    people make "pudding" with chia seeds by soaking them in almond milk or coconut milk.... still tastes like frog spawn in my opinion. YUCK!!! they're supposed to expand in your stomach though, hence making you FEEL full.

but in addition to the expanding in your stomach thing, chia seeds are a super food. very high in omega-3 so its good for your health anyways.
  • phocid
    phocid Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have been mixing 1/2 T of chia seeds with 1/4 milk and about 6 oz of plain greek yogurt. Stir well. To that, I add a couple teaspoons of the jam of my choice, or agave nectar, spices and fruit . Current favorite is cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and chopped apples with apple butter. This summer I couldn't get enough with cardamom and raspberries and a splash of vanilla extract.

Oh - and of course serve in a mason jar - everything is better in a mason jar.

I usually mix this up when I first wake up (if I manage to do it the night before, I add 1/4 C thick rolled oats). Let it sit in the fridge. You won't notice the chia "sludge" with the yogurt. And it makes 6 oz of yogurt seem like much more food. I'm fine until lunch time.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I like to eat them more for the nutritional benefit they are a great superfood! I always put them on smoothies or sprinkle them ontop of my salads or fruit and yoghurt they are so versatile. Once I ran out of eggs and used them in gel form as an egg replacement in baking.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    They sell chia seeds in different flavors at the Albertsons where I live. I tried the pomegranate juice one and it was pretty good, if you can get over the texture
  • rosanna421
    rosanna421 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Tried them many times, they don't do much to fill you up but are still healthy to use
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    They have lots of Omega-3 which is why I use them. I usually just add them to oats, smoothies, etc.

If you really want them to fill you up, you should probably let them sit in water for a few minutes before eating them. When they touch the water they make a gel, which is the filling effect.

I agree. I love my little seeds :bigsmile: You can make chia "pudding" with them by letting them sit in coconut milk (or whatever liquid you prefer) but a lot of people have a hard time getting by the slimy texture :ohwell: I like to think of them as "tapioca" seeds :wink: I put them in my smoothies too - they thicken it up without banana (I'm allergic) and it makes me feel like I'm "eating" something. I DO find that if I get too much I don't eat much of anything else :ohwell:
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    This is why I put Chia Seeds in my morning shake:

"concentrated food containing healthy omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, antioxidants, and calcium.

Chia seeds are an unprocessed, whole-grain food that can be absorbed by the body as seeds (unlike flaxseeds). One ounce (about 2 tablespoons) contains 139 calories, 4 grams of protein, 9 grams fat, 12 grams carbohydrates and 11 grams of fiber, plus vitamins and minerals."

I'd never heard all the weight loss and diet claims. I just use them as a nutritional boost.
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    In tribute to the Duck Dynasty thread that will probably be deleted in a little while....

Cha cha cha CHIA!!!

dd-chiawillie.jpg
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    No in my experience I would need a cup full soaked for 3 hours to actually do anything.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    They are a wonderful addition to smoothies for me. They add about 5g of fiber for such a small amount! Other than that though, I haven't noticed a difference in the way it makes me feel hunger wise. My body is like a clock though and I have to fuel/feed it every 4 hours or I become quite the grump.
  • cv2k
    cv2k Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds on my protein shake but I soak the seeds in water first, 1/3 water per tablespoon of seeds. I use mainly to increase fibre and it seems to give me a bit more satisfaction than plain protein drink. I also have a serving of large flake oats so it all keeps me satisfied till lunch time.