Runners: foam roller/the stick? suggestions needed

Options
I am going to be needing some sort of foam roller/the stick for marathon training I can already tell, haha. Suggestions from runners on what to get?

I did my half marathon training without anything of the sort, but was sore for days and days afterwards no matter how much I tried to stretch

Replies

• LOVEsummer
    LOVEsummer Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    The stick and push HARD when you use it. I used the stick 2x on my IT band calves the day before the race, 2x the day after and not only did I run the race pain free but today I woke up and I'm not sore anymore! The foam roller is OK but I feel like my stick works so much better. Look up some youtube videos on how to use the stick because it should hurt like a deep tissue massage. You are going to do so well!!!! Ice baths helped a lot as well. :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Bump I need to know as well
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I use the Stick. Roll it over your muscles with 20 strokes. I do it about three times a day during recovery.

As the previous poster mentioned, roll it hard enough that it hurts. The idea is to release the tension in the muscle like a deep tissue massage.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I use the foam roller, it works wonders!
  • rbvaudrizle
    rbvaudrizle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like the stick. I find it works really well on the IT bands and calves. I have to be in a comfortable place to use the foam roller. If you know how to use the foam roller it works really well. The stick also can be used to remove those scar tissue masses in my calves. Also it can be brought anywhere. I love the stick (insert joke here) !
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i use the stick. I really ache on my long runs (anything over 14 miles) and i use the stick all over. Next day im fine no aches. You just have to keep rolling on your muscles several time. I love it!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    i use the Stick, as well. Every day 2-3 times for many years.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I use both.
  • El_Rapido
    Options
    I've got a Sprinter stick, its really good. I use it on my calfs, quads and hams.

I've also got a foam roller which is better for ITB and glutes. I wouldn't be without either.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I have both - helps you pinpoint different areas.

hard foam roller and I have a Tiger Tail - recommended by my PT.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I have both - helps you pinpoint different areas.

hard foam roller and I have a Tiger Tail - recommended by my PT.

Ditto, we have both. if it's one or the other go for the roller. I don't know the brand, it's big and black and was recommended by the personal training company at my gym.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I do it old school and on the cheap. I use a wooden dough roller.

Ya know, the one you get at the grocery store to roll out cookie dough, dumplings, etc?

Yeah, that one :wink:
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have a foam roller and LOVE it for my back and butt. It works on the quads, IT and hammies as well, but I think the stick would do a better job. I am hoping to get a stick soon.
  • ashleycarder24
    Options
    bump
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Ya know, the one you get at the grocery store to roll out cookie dough, dumplings, etc?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this! In fact, I got mine at the 99 Cents Only Store! :laugh:
  • USCEE77
    Options
    I prefer the foam roller, it's great for the hips, legs AND my back.
  • kit548emt
    Options
    bump
  • kit548emt
    Options

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does this! In fact, I got mine at the 99 Cents Only Store! :laugh:

Hmm.... note for later lol! Thanks!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Funny this topic showed up!

I just ordered "the Stick" and it should be arriving tomorrow. I currently foam roll but want something to REALLY loosen my calves.

Also, "foot rubz" foot massage balls are awesome after runs. Pop them in the fridge or freezer for a nice cool treat on the feet.