Hyperthyroidism and Graves Disease

Options
Hi All:

I really need help with this.

Three years ago I was diagnosed with HYPERthyrodism and I assumed I would be losing not gaining weight. I have been on Tapozole for this type but the doctor cannot seem to get it under control. I see him again next week. I have seen 2 doctors so far and I am trying a third.

When I told the doctors I was eating 1200 calories a day,their response was "Eat Less". I admit when I did eat 1000 or less I lost a crummy pound a week. I was also hungry all the time. So many people on here told me to increase it to 1200. I have been doing that even sometimes slipping to more. In the beginning I did NOT exercise at all The last 2 months I have been going to the gym, because I was advised by yet another doctor it would help my hip.. ( It is bone on bone and was told I would need a replacement) I am a mess!!!

Anyway, I am very upset as I have gained 2 pounds. I know my age plays a part too. I realize we are all different. Does anyone share my misery??

Replies

• scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Weird that your doc would tell you to eat less when by all accounts being hyper should ramp up your metabolism, but I would say if 1000 calories isn't enough for you then you should eat more.

Perhaps you have something else going on...or perhaps your med is making you hold on to weight? Exploring other medications or treatments might be a sound option.

I am losing weight and I'm hyopthyroid, so I don't see why you shouldn't once you have your condition properly controlled. Good luck!
  • WoWmamaErin
    WoWmamaErin Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Graves Disease myself about 5 or 6 years ago. I was put on Propylthiouracil (PTU) to get my thyroid to produce less. And it worked... and I put on 60 lbs in a year...

But I admit that I gave up on myself at that point after talking to a Dr that I should've kicked in the pants. I had started going to the gym and eating healthy a couple months prior and the Dr said that my progress was due to the Graves and not my hard work (should've walked out the door at that point) and said that I might as well stop going cause I'm not going to make any more progress... I'm still really mad about that... don't let ANYONE tell you that you can't do something cause there is no point...

A lot of people assume that because you have Hyperthyroidism that losing weight should be a breeze... but it's not... at all! You go from having a great metabolism (I ate like crap and a lot and didn't pack on the pounds) and then all of a sudden you're taking drugs to control your thyroid and it totally messes with your metabolism! You do have to eat less than what you were eating before you started the drugs... there's no doubt about that.

I'm lucky right now though... During both my pregnancies I ended up going Hypo and had to take synthroid during that time. But since my last baby just over 1.5 years ago my thyroid seems to have regulated itself and I've been taking no drugs at all!

I wish you good luck in getting your thyroid levels under control and finding a Dr that you can work with! Stick with it and NEVER give up!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo but I totally understand your frustration.

A lot of times doctors think you are lying about how many calories you eat. I've had many doctors not believe me and tell me advice like to not drink soda and walk for a half our during my lunch break.. I'd be like... UM, I'm eating 1,500 calories a day (at over 300 pounds that's NOT a lot of food) I'm exercising for an hour of cardio 5 days a week and 45 minutes of strength training three days a week. Last time I went to my GP I actually printed off my food journal so he could see I wasn't just making it up. It's frustrating because the doctor assumes that it's YOU doing something wrong and not something that needs to be treated.

It took a trip to my gyno to actually get a referral to an endocrinologist in order to have my thyroid treated. Most GPs don't know what they are doing with thyroid. If you are going to a GP, please try to get a referral to an endocrinologist. If you are already seeing one, then maybe switch too another one or get a second opinion.