Why did you get fat and what triggered the change?

Options

Replies

• khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I more or less battled with my weight my whole life. When I was little I was fat then skinny then got fat again. When I was about 11 I was bit by a dog in my face and I couldn't open my mouth to put much food in so I dropped some weight then I went a little further. The summer before high school I was determined to get "skinny" so I did...I entered high school all nice and trim and mostly kept it off until I broke my foot in my 20s then gained a few pounds but lost that pretty quick. Once I had my second child I turned to food for a lot of reasons and kept doing so because that was one area in my life that I had control (unfortunately, it was the wrong control). I lost 40+ pounds once since then but ballooned back up.

NOW..it's really all about me. We have to find it in ourselves to do it! You can watch everyone else around you, watch BL, get advise, etc., etc., but unless YOU'RE ready it's not gonna happen! I finally am ready again, except this is it...my life..my change. I don't plan on dropping another 40+ pounds then going back up from there..ONLY DOWN!
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight from my first son(who is now 5) and never really got rid of it before my second son. And with my second one (who is now 10 months) I gained more after I had him from depression. I got a nasty injury that kept me away from my new baby for 3 days and I wasn't aloud to get up to take care of him, pick him up or even make myself food. I was stuck in bed for almost 2 weeks after coming home from the dr. And a few more weeks on top of that using a walker to get around. So no carrying baby at all. It really sucked!! I was in pain and felt useless. 4 months later I got the go ahead to start working out a little. And decided to go on a diet. Found this site and im back on track to living healthy. And im pretty much healed up. Still random pain if I go to crazy but its all good now. :D
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life (even as a 5 year old), and it was all because of my diet. I actually played sports year-round as a kid (volleyball, soccer, and softball) and all the way up until high school. I also have PCOS, which could be another issue, especially since I gained a TON of weight the moment I hit puberty. But I try not to blame my problems on things other than myself. As a kid, my mom had no limits on food, and every night we had a home-cooked meal... but not a healthy one. It usually consisted of some kind of red meat, with some kind of pasta or bread, and with little to no veggies. Dinner was followed by dessert of some sort, usually a huge bowl of ice cream with cookies on the side.

I first started losing weight in the 10th grade. I ran a mile in 10:15, which was unbelievable for me (it was basically because it was really cold outside, and I run best in cold weather). But my mile time was always 13:00 or above, and since I was in the athletic PE class for kids playing a high school sport, I was always last to finish, and usually by at least 4 or 5 minute.
    Everything changed the day I ran that 10 minute mile. My PE teacher gave me a high five and said "I knew you could do it" and other kids in my class gave me a high five (probably because they were just happy to not have to stay any longer and painfully watch me from the sidelines).

I came from a family that did not support me in any way. My mom had gastric bypass surgery, and didn't understand the whole "healthy eating because I need to, not healthy eating because my new stapled stomach would throw it up if I ate junk food". My mom and I fought frequently over my weight, and then one day she told me, "You wouldn't be able to lose weight. You'll just have surgery, too!" That, coupled with the previous incident of my mile time, made me fight back and start losing weight. I started cutting out junk food, and tried to eat healthy. I pushed myself a little bit harder in PE to burn a few extra calories. I tried to change my relationship with food. I failed in that aspect, and that's why I'm now on MFP. :)

Whoosh, that was long! Sorry. D:
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The first time I got fat was about 10 years ago. I was dating a guy much larger than me who loved eating out - especially at buffets. Once I realized how much weight I gained I was able to get in off in about 4 months with a Prevention recipe magazine and an overnight gym membership. The magazine taught me how to modify my diet & make healthier versions of my favorite foods & working out overnight allowed me to stay on machines for a couple hours uninterrupted.

This time I started gaining weight & my shape changed after I had fibroid surgery. I gained hips and a pooch. I went from a 6/8 to a 10 but I slowed it down by taking up running & going to the gym a lot, both of which I really enjoyed. Then I got pregnant & somewhere in the mix I stopped taking care of me & my normal routine of doing some type of exercise and my weight exploded.

What prompted the change. I don't like being fat - for health and vanity reasons. Earlier this month I got on the scale and saw that my weight had creeped to my highest level ever - 6 pound higher than when I gave birth. If I didn't put the brakes on the scale was not going to.
  • littleali
    littleali Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight since I was 6 or so - I think I gained weight around puberty purely because I was told it was just 'puppy fat' that I would let go of fine, so I felt it was alright to eat more. Reason for change was to stop feeling like crap and to stop people making nasty comments at school.
  • LeanerBeef
    LeanerBeef Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I got fat because I was born...the fact that I don't want to die triggered the change. The End. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • GirlAnachronismE
    GirlAnachronismE Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hmm well, I was in junior school when I realised I was fat, so about 10 years old. I put myself on a diet and ate salad every day for lunch. At the same time, my mum noticed I was fat and bought me a dog, which i walked twice a day every day. So I lost a lot of weight, then got a really intensive paper round aged 13-16, and stayed at a normal weight (still a bit chubby but there you are). Then aged 16-17 i walked EVERYWHERE, was never home and had no one to drive me places. But at 18, I got a car, and a 6 foot 3 skinny boyfriend, plus i went to Uni. I tried to keep up with him food wise and he did all the cooking, so even though I did regular exercise, I gained weight. Last year I tried to go on a bit of a diet, but couldn't keep it up. then this year, I realised I would never get better at the sport I love if I didn't get fit, and my boobs hit size F, so I bought a pair of scales to see how much I weight and I was nearly 160 pounds! There were other hints like the fact that my jeans kept ripping around my thighs and my t-shirts didn't fit properly any more, so I took a long look at myself in the mirror and realised I'd let myself get fat again. Plus, I had no idea how much I was eating.

Now, my aim is to be toned, fit and weigh less than I've weighed sine I was 11. But I'm planning to stop losing when I'm happy with how I look. All I want is a flat stomach and some core muscle strength. Fitting into a UK size 10 would be great!
  • musicaljessica
    Options
    I got to this size because I had a nasty stepmum who told me I was fat when I was 15-18 and I would eat one meal a day - beans on thin brown toast EVERY DAY....but binge on biscuits, cakes, pop in between. My sister and I used to scrounge pennies together and see how much food we could buy down the shop. But since I was about 12 I have been overweight. Since I turned 18 I went to uni andcould finally eat what I wanted! And spent 2 years eating nothing but takeaways, junk and sweets!!

So I'm now 16st 4lb and I have decided enoughs enough. I'm 21 and I want a future thats not taken over by my weight.
  • Section117_Zolos
    Options
    For me it was two pregnancies and then being lazy. I made a ton of excuses, had poor eating habits and didn't exercise. My tigger came when size sixteens didn't fit me anymore and I was tired all the time. I had no self confidence and no self esteem.

I can happily say now, almost 30 pounds lighter, that I am much more confident, I dress better and I have better energy. Logging my food here has helped and so has getting into a an exercise routine.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My freshman year in high school I was 120 playing volleyball, running track, and swimming. And at home being told I was fat or in bad shape. My body image was extremely low. Then right before softmore year I met my husband, my body image went up, I stopped playing all the sports I had been playing for my dad and kept eating the same crap. I'm 21 now and over the last 2 years I've dieted on and off, but frankly I was much happier with my body at 170 pounds then I ever was at 120. Then it just hit me one day that now I really was fat, and that I had a great body before I gained the weight. Now my goal is to be down to a healthy and fit weight but appreciate it and have the self esteem I never did as a teenager.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I was told I was overweight, and that I could be so pretty if I lost the weight. I was encouraged to diet. I crashed dieted from a very early age. After awhile I found that since I was always very big busted in middle and high school being overweight took the attention off of my chest.

I made the change because my karate instructor told me I had to so that I could test for my brown belt. He pointed me in the right, healthy direction for me.
  • Arabian♥Breeze
    Options
    ...the fact that I don't want to die triggered the change. The End. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

same here
  • Islasgirl
    Islasgirl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I started puggy as a child and by high school was wearing size 16. Then married, had two kids and wound up ballooning to size 28. That is 350 # at 5'3. Became diabetic and fear got me down to 300 in 2002. Then my baby sister died of basically problems caused by morbid obesity and I decided I although I had the same problems she did I was not going to die of morbid obesity! Joined the Dr Phil Ultimate Weight loss program and lost 125 lbs and kept that off for the last 8 years. Health issues and being on steriods caused me to gain and now I have decided to join MFP determined to live to be a very skinny old lady. I just turned 68 on Halloween. The plus side to all this is that my precious 33 year old daughter has also lost 125 lbs on WW. As a mother I blame myself for her having a weight problem. As the genealogist of our family I have photo's of a lot of our morbidly obese relatives. Sad and can be changed and she and I are doing it. And I figure if this old lady can do it with her bradycardia, diabetis, hypertension and Copd/emphasema then anybody can do it!!!
  • youarewhatyoueat86
    Options
    In the beginning I had several different things I blamed;

I was always skinny my whole childhood (the skinniest of my siblings) Out of the blue I got very sick in the 4th grade and was confined to a bed for a month, and took 2 1/2 months to become well again. During that time period my body was starved because I was too sick to eat so i dropped a lot of weight (that I didnt have) so once I was well again i began eating and eating nothing but junk because my mom worked all the time. I had little guidance. From the 5th grade and on I gained weight slowly. I began disliking myself but was too young to change because I didnt have the knowledge or tools to change my habits. Convenience foods were the norm and also the most fattening. When I reached high school I had come to terms that I was meant to be fat and I had better get comfortable with myself because there's no way I'd ever be skinny.. it just wasnt for me! So I continued to eat. Watching tv at night without food was just insane. How could you watch tv or sit on the computer and not have something to snack on?! That just wasnt normal to me. So I'd buy little debbie snacks, chips, soda.. you name it!

I turned 25 and hated the way I looked but I still had not come to terms with just how fat I had become. When I saw myself i took off about 50 pounds from that image--I did not see what others saw. .until I received a picture that is. I was horrified. That was NOT me!....but it was. I made the choice to change my life once and for all. I went from being the laziest person you'll ever see to a gym rat. My body feels so much better and lighter and I know it is the best decision I've ever made.

I've learned that blaming others for your problems is just a cop out, an excuse... and nothing will change until you come to terms with your problem whether it be overeating, stress eating, or just unhealthy eating... you have to own up to it and want that change. No one can do it for you. It is possible and the only person standing in your way is yourself.
  • TNDamisi
    TNDamisi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My weight and eating habits were pretty good until l I got to college, but I didn't gain a whole lot of weight, even though my diet kinda suffered (I lived in DC and walked everywhere I couldn't ride the Metro to). I started gaining more when I went for my master's and really started eating out a lot more; however, most of the weight gain occurred when I was unemployed for a year and really depressed. That's about the time that I hit the 200lb mark. Soon after that I got a job in an office with a whole lot of really small people who were bitter at life and felt the need to take it out on everybody else, which just increased the emotional eating (or not eating, depending on how badly things were going that week).

Finally, I got the work situation cleared up somewhat (now IDGAF what happens at the office, and it's AWESOME!) and decided to work on me. I managed to fall off the wagon a few times, but the crappy end to a relationship gave me the fortitude to finally stick with it - spite is a powerful motivator, I'm ashamed to admit. I haven't lost a whole lot, but I'm feeling better, which is helping me stick with exercising.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I experienced a retina detachment which required a hospital surgery followed by 21 days in bed. The within one year another surgery followed by several procedures on both eyes. I was told there was absolutely nothing I could do to avoid or control my vision health.

So I made a commitment to get my personal health in gear. Started at 212 pounds on December 2, 2010 and today I weighed in at 156.1. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.

I love reading this type of post.

Shirley (in Oregon)
  • jax6199
    Options
    I went to high school overseas and dropped any teenage pudge I had on me, then I moved back to Chicago. I traded in bottled water for Fruitopia and vending machine snacks, then I started a job in Downtown Chicago back in 2002. I was in the routine of eating a McGriddle sandwich and hash brown every day from McDonald's. When I first noticed a stretch mark on my belly, I brushed it off and kept up with my high fat diet, and absolutely no exercise. By the following year, I plummeted up to 195 pounds, and just kept buying clothes a size bigger and bigger. After that were a series of stressful relationships and plenty of excuses why I couldn't work out, which made me obese and well over 200 pounds. Now at 28, I took a real good look at the reality of my life and promised myself that this was it, I was going to go into my 30's healthy, muscular, and looking way better than I have at any point in my 20's. I am currently down 14 pounds, which may not seem like a ton of weight, but that was the start I needed to get me on the right path. It's all uphill from here.
  • flanbo
    flanbo Posts: 10
    Options
    I've never been thin, but I'd never actually been overweight either. I used to eat junk all the time, but the fact that I played sport about four times a week prevented me from ballooning out sideways. In 2010 however, my diet became even worse than it was before. I stepped on the scales and was absolutely mortified to see that I was about a kilo away from being overweight. That shook up my levels of comfort with eating unhealthy foods, but what really set me over the edge was my sister. She's not exactly a nice person; she always called me fat. She thought she was being funny, but she wasn't. Eventually it became too much and I decided I had to do something about my size.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I got fat by eating a whole cake (two 8 inch rounds slathered in icing) in less than 2 days. Eating a whole gallon of ice cream in less than a week. Eating a whole bag of cheeto puffs in one sitting. I'd drink sodas, eat crap and fry everything.
    I want to get healthy so I can have the best pregnancy I can. I'm also sick of not being able to shop in the same stores as my little sister (she's not that much younger than I am so it's not like I'm wanting to shop in the kids department!!)
  • Fit099
    Fit099 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've always been over weight. ever since I was a little girl. but i lost alot of weight. My heaviest was 205 when I was younger. Just last yr I weighed 183 lbs. My cousin whom I was very close to got shot at the age of 17. He was only 13 days older than me so I considered him my older brother. very over protective too. And trying to cope I gained weight and weighed 210 lbs. joing my fitness pal and getting a nutritionist I now weigh 200 :) ! I am on a mission to get healthy again and show everyone that I am coping well and going t be better :)

Maria