Peanut Butter fat...

Options
Give me the lowdown on peanut butter. Are the fats in peanut butter good for you? School me. :laugh:

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    All fats except for synthetic trans fats are good for you
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article that explains it:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Heart_Letter/2009/July/Ask-the-doctor-Why-is-peanut-butter-healthy-if-it-has-saturated-fat

Not sure if this is still true but from what I was told by a nutritionist years ago, the unhealthy part of peanut butters, at least for those of us with high cholesterol, is the hydrogenated oils. But you can get around this by getting the natural versions of peanut butter which are available pretty much everywhere now.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Here's a good article that explains it:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Heart_Letter/2009/July/Ask-the-doctor-Why-is-peanut-butter-healthy-if-it-has-saturated-fat

Not sure if this is still true but from what I was told by a nutritionist years ago, the unhealthy part of peanut butters, at least for those of us with high cholesterol, is the hydrogenated oils. But you can get around this by getting the natural versions of peanut butter which are available pretty much everywhere now.

The amount of trans fat in peanut butter is miniscule
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    All fats except for synthetic trans fats are good for you

Sweet. I will return to my spoon and jar of peanut butter. :laugh:

I know, I know, moderation. I just wasn't sure...there's a substantial amount of fat in it, didn't know if it was "good" or bad.

Thanks!
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I know, I know, moderation. I just wasn't sure...there's a substantial amount of fat in it, didn't know if it was "good" or bad.

Thanks!

Almost no food is necessarily "good" or "bad" by itself, it depends on it's context within your diet.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Natural fats are 100% necessary for proper hormone function. Proper hormone function is 100% necessary for fat-burning.

I have eggs, peanut butter, beef, and coconut oil every single day.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I've been on the prowl for snacky stuff to keep me full during the workday. Revamping my lunch plans lately.
  • KXanthos
    KXanthos Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've been on the prowl for snacky stuff to keep me full during the workday. Revamping my lunch plans lately.

I love peanuts as a snack, in moderation though since they have a lot of calories...