Mexican restaurant help

Options
Going out to dinner with neighborhood friends tonight - Mexican joint. What are some lighter options (obvious to steer clear of the chimichangas - which I would normally splurge on since I dont' eat out often).

I've been having a really good week and want to prove that I can make good choices while out in the real world too. So help!

Replies

• merch
    merch Posts: 8
    Options
    Going out to dinner with neighborhood friends tonight - Mexican joint. What are some lighter options (obvious to steer clear of the chimichangas - which I would normally splurge on since I dont' eat out often).

I've been having a really good week and want to prove that I can make good choices while out in the real world too. So help!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    we love going to a Mexican restaurant. Ask for corn tortillas for fajitas and ask them to use less oil. Don't use the cheese or the sour cream but use salsa instead!

Do they have Pozole soup? It's awesome!
  • kimmaboo
    Options
    i did carne asada with guac and try no tto eat the rice and beans they are killer and same for the tortillas or fajitas just try to stay away from the cheese and sourcream
  • jim_weldon
    jim_weldon Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    TEX-Mex is a real weakness. The Chips 'n Salsa are hard to stay away from. The chips are insanely bad for you. Good Luck - I never seem to do well....
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Carne Asada NO DOUBT...yummmmm
    refreid beans...NO WAY
    chips and salza..NO WAY JOSE!
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    someone posted recently that they use their 'bread plate' and portion out how many chips they can have so they dont over due it.

someone also posted that they order what they like and only eat half - which me + mexican food, there is no way i could do that!

i would stick with fajitas and enter them in before you go tonight. then you will know how many calories you could have. a taco salad with chicken might be a good choice too.

no margaritas! they have about one million calories!
  • cbrooks66
    cbrooks66 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Does the restaurant have an online menu with nutritional stats? You may want to go online to see what your choices are...
  • merch
    merch Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks - y'all are fast.

i'll look into carne asada or fajitas - I forget about those (lots of control over portion) and try to be good on the rice/chips. Don't like refried beans so that's not an issue. But the chips, ahh the chips.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have been a few times in the past 3-4 months and hit the all you can eat taco bar on Tuesdays. I normally have two soft tacos (beef or chicken), no cheese and a serving of chips. If you work out...you won't go over. Good luck.

PS...I count out a serving of chips and place them on my napkin. If I work out really hard...I can actually eat 2 servings! :smile:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Chicken fajita no sourcream no tortilla, side salad just veggies with lite dressing..and a tallk glass of water
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    thanks - y'all are fast.

i'll look into carne asada or fajitas - I forget about those (lots of control over portion) and try to be good on the rice/chips. Don't like refried beans so that's not an issue. But the chips, ahh the chips.

I'd steer clear of the carne asada, a lot of oil is always added. my bro in law cooks at one, your best bet is a taco salad, w/o the shell or sour cream
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    work out, make a good menu choice, and understand that it takes a 3500 calorie "overboard" in order to gain ONE pound. you will not go over by 3500 calories, so have a good time and enjoy yourself.
  • chels627
    Options
    I work at a Mexican restaurant and have for the past 5 years...here's some tips
    try and ask for grilled veggies instead of rice and beans on a fajita
    stay away from cheese or as for lite cheese b/c they overdue the cheese on most items
    corn tortillas are better than flour, of course
    guacamole is good for you but some places add alot of salt
    use salsa to flavor or as a dressing
    order from the kids menu b/c it has smaller portions
    stay away from fried foods such as chimichangas, taquitos, flautas, wings, etc...