Anyone else that with an illness trying to get this done?

Options
I have been changing the way I eat since Feb and I feel like I have done reallt well. There are days, like today, when it is so hard. My body hurts and I feel crappy in every sense of the word. I look at the treadmill like it is an enemy. I fight the urge to fall back on old habits of turning to food for comfort.

Is there anyone else dealing with a long term or chronic illness?

Replies

• Supercatie80
    Supercatie80 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I fall into the "long-term illness" category but I've recently found out that I have an ulcer. You would think that this would make me lose more weight but I've been put on a medication where one of the side effects is weight gain. Yippy skippy. Having an ulcer is also taking a hit to my fruit intake. No more citrus allowed. No tomatoes either. Peppers are a no no too.

So I'm stocking up on apples and pears, and I'll start eating more carrots and other vegetables. The good thing is that I'm also supposed to cut back on carbonated beverages and alcohol which I've been trying to do anyway.

It's just going to be a matter of being more creative to eat better.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I have been diagnosed ednos (eating disorder not officially specified) because I don't meet all the qualifications for full-blown anorexia, and I suffer from depression and anxiety. Almost everyday is a challenge but I try to get through.

I hope you feel better though. :)
  • 4afitCarey
    Options
    sure that qualifies. I understand weight gain due to mediciation as well. I have a chronic form of leukemia and the mediciation that keeps it under control causes the pounds to pack on. That is where 50 of the pounds I am trying to take off came from.
  • 4afitCarey
    Options
    I have been diagnosed ednos (eating disorder not officially specified) because I don't meet all the qualifications for full-blown anorexia, and I suffer from depression and anxiety. Almost everyday is a challenge but I try to get through.

I hope you feel better though. :)

I hope you do too.
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    As a chronic cough/sinus thing. PPFFTTTT and at the moment, i am in the middle of a cold brought on by this. Yeh its true. Got a sinus migraine, a week ago. From that i get this. Happens 75 percent of the time. Makes it hard to want to do anything, BUT sleep.

I dont care how long this will take, just as long as it keeps moving. Is hoping, once smaller though, this sinus will take a back seat.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    arthritis so bad I am awake at night in pain - should have had a knee replacement but instead
    I collapsed with multiple bilateral pulmonary emboli so am now on warfarin my heart races due to the damage sustained and am very short of breath from time to time
    depression so yeah I am with you on days when I just cant do the exercise
    but I am here and just started my journey and I will reach the end and be much more healthy both mentally and physically when I do reach the end of the journey
  • 4afitCarey
    Options
    arthritis so bad I am awake at night in pain - should have had a knee replacement but instead
    I collapsed with multiple bilateral pulmonary emboli so am now on warfarin my heart races due to the damage sustained and am very short of breath from time to time
    depression so yeah I am with you on days when I just cant do the exercise
    but I am here and just started my journey and I will reach the end and be much more healthy both mentally and physically when I do reach the end of the journey

I am sorry for your pain. If I can help keep you going in anyway, just ask. I am pretty good at a pep talk to anyone but myself.
  • 4afitCarey
    Options
    As a chronic cough/sinus thing. PPFFTTTT and at the moment, i am in the middle of a cold brought on by this. Yeh its true. Got a sinus migraine, a week ago. From that i get this. Happens 75 percent of the time. Makes it hard to want to do anything, BUT sleep.

I dont care how long this will take, just as long as it keeps moving. Is hoping, once smaller though, this sinus will take a back seat.

I dealt with those for YEARS. I ended up having to have surgery to correct my sinuses. I hope you start to feel better soon.
  • illecl
    illecl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have an autoimmune disease that involves occasional periods of prednisone and chemo, and lots of body pain when things are rocky. So I know how it feels to feel challenged by getting out of the chair one day and be able to make it through an hour of aerobics on another. My answer is sometimes to give myself a break. I learned the hard way that I can't push through pain. I try to exercise when I feel good. And sometimes a gentle walk or fitness bike ride makes me feel better enough to do more. I think the disease or condition wins when exercise makes you feel worse. I so absolutely hate that, but it's a reality. Over a period of 5 years I've lost 75 pounds and made it to a really decent level of fitness.

Carol
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i have RSD/CRPS which is a progressive neurological condition that causes chroinc pain and many other symptoms. i also have arthrits, fused ankle, implanted spinal cord stimulaor, osteoporosis, kidney stones, lots of muscle weakness in left leg due to RSD and its numb also, have had a minor stroke, half blind in left eye and deaf in left ear. i have had a total of 18 surgeries w/ number 19 coming on the 19th so yes i have a chronic illness and am trying my damndest to get this done :) we will persevere through this and just be the best ME we all can be. if you need anything let me know ill do my best to help. really hope you get some relief soon!! <3
  • ilovemyhorse
    Options
    I have depression, anxiety & bipolar. Some days it's so bad. I won't get out of bed.
  • 4afitCarey
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your stories. It is so nice to know that I am not the only one. I wish you all much luck and hope we all get to a place where our bodies reward us for getting this done.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

Have you every looked into food allergies. I have a very similar chronic sinus problems until I figured out I was allergic to wheat. Living wheat free is not fun but better than feeling crappy all the time.
  • eaterofcake
    Options
    @ starvingfor_p You and me both! C:
    I am in a similar situation as you. Only though bulimia into the mix and you have me.

Are you on pills for the depression/anxiety?
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I have an autoimmune disorder but its the drugs that make weight loss hard. Taking steriods and trying to lose weight is a total nightmare - but it can be done!
  • lurahlee
    lurahlee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had a total hip replacement in 2009, and again in 2011. the stress of the pain triggered my body to move from depression to Bipolar 2. During 3 years of surviving by doing nothing but go to work and sit on the couch, I gained 80 pounds. In 2010 I managed to lose 20 pounds (which I have kept off) but since the surgery in 2011 I've not managed to lose any more.

The recovery has been much more difficult than the last time. The mental aspect of lots of pain and still not being well is extreme, often triggering deep depression-inspite of all the psychiatric drugs I'm now on.

I'll do well with limiting my in take for a day or even two.....then I have an especially bad day, and all I want is comfort food and alcohol.

This is my first time to post on a message board, I'm hoping that a community will help. My friends and husband are extremely supportive, but they can't reach inside and make things better.
  • DawnB86
    DawnB86 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia, PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) and chronic migraines. PCOS makes it VERY difficult to lose weight and the fibromyalgia and migraines cause near constant pain: exercise helps but it's so hard to get the energy.

I hope you all are able to acheive your weight loss goals. It is hard but it's attainable. Even just eating healthier can make you feel better even if you're not losing weight.
  • 4afitCarey
    Options
    I had a total hip replacement in 2009, and again in 2011. the stress of the pain triggered my body to move from depression to Bipolar 2. During 3 years of surviving by doing nothing but go to work and sit on the couch, I gained 80 pounds. In 2010 I managed to lose 20 pounds (which I have kept off) but since the surgery in 2011 I've not managed to lose any more.

The recovery has been much more difficult than the last time. The mental aspect of lots of pain and still not being well is extreme, often triggering deep depression-inspite of all the psychiatric drugs I'm now on.

I'll do well with limiting my in take for a day or even two.....then I have an especially bad day, and all I want is comfort food and alcohol.

This is my first time to post on a message board, I'm hoping that a community will help. My friends and husband are extremely supportive, but they can't reach inside and make things better.

I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. If I can help you in anyway please ask. Feel free to friend me if you'd like.
  • 4afitCarey
    Options
    I have Fibromyalgia, PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome) and chronic migraines. PCOS makes it VERY difficult to lose weight and the fibromyalgia and migraines cause near constant pain: exercise helps but it's so hard to get the energy.

I hope you all are able to acheive your weight loss goals. It is hard but it's attainable. Even just eating healthier can make you feel better even if you're not losing weight.

I also have fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed in 1999 after my son was born. The cancer treatment really causes the fibro to get so much worse.

I agree, changing my diet helped lots. I walk any day that I can get through it even if I have to force myself. I just take it one hour at a time some days.
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    my docs dont think i have an allergy if anything they rell me its reflux now that caused it all. Hate to tell them but nope.. isnt that.. is waiting for tests on allergies now