Running or elliptical?

Options

Replies

• stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The ellip has helped my running. My old bones cannot take the pounding of running every day. The ellip is great to build my cardio. Has improved my running times in the half, ten milers and 10ks by a lot.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this too. I can spend an hour on high resistance on the elliptical but I can't really run so I would assume that the elliptical is easier. I can burn a lot on the elliptical though, so idk.
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's input! I am trying to get the best burn during my one hour at the gym, I will try and crank it to 20 resistance on the elliptical, I've never tried that! :P
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Calories burned all come down to level of intensity/speed/weight of the individual when it comes to calories burned. The elliptical is low impact so it's better for people with joint problems and the way the machine is set up it works the whole body, but it uses the movement and momentum of the handles and pedals to help keep the body in motion and allows the person to speed up and slow down as needed whereas with the treadmill it's basically all you trying to keep up with a specific pace that is already set. I'm not the best runner, but what I've realized is that I used to waste a lot of energy on the treadmill pushing buttons. I'd start at a good pace then I'd push the button to speed up, that was too fast, I'd push the button to slow down and go on and on. Obviously with the ellitpical it's easier to do this. Also, I personally put the elliptical on a level 15 or 16 setting and then put it on random (most often). Other people might always use a level 20 and keep it at hill, or someone else may keep it at a level 3 and stay there for the duration of the workout. It all comes to different levels of calories burned.

For example: for my last physical readiness test I chose to do my cardio portion on the elliptical. I weighed in at 158lbs that day, I put the level to 16 and in 12 min I burned 161 calories. On a normal day, though, I do about 40 min of cardio and burn between 430 adn 460 calories usually.

Basically, there are a lot of factors involved when it comes to calories burned on these or any other cardio machine. As for myself, I burn about the same on both. The only thing I stay away from now is bike because, personally, I feel it's waste of time-I know that I won't burn nearly as many calories in the amount of time as I would on elliptical or treadmill.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Elliptical trainer will give you a good low impact workout - don't rely on the calorie counter at the gym though - they always overestimate your burn. I only used the gym when I was injured - but I love running! basically as long as you're exercising and enjoying it, what does it matter...?
    I think it depends on the machine. I've worn my hrm on the elliptical and the machine was pretty accurate, sometimes it was even less than what I really burned. It has me enter my weight and age and it has sensors that take your heart rate so when I lost my hrm for a while I trusted it.
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is easier on my shins and knees, but I also like using the treadmil. Nothing compares to running outside though.
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Calories burned all come down to level of intensity/speed/weight of the individual when it comes to calories burned. The elliptical is low impact so it's better for people with joint problems and the way the machine is set up it works the whole body, but it uses the movement and momentum of the handles and pedals to help keep the body in motion and allows the person to speed up and slow down as needed whereas with the treadmill it's basically all you trying to keep up with a specific pace that is already set. I'm not the best runner, but what I've realized is that I used to waste a lot of energy on the treadmill pushing buttons. I'd start at a good pace then I'd push the button to speed up, that was too fast, I'd push the button to slow down and go on and on. Obviously with the ellitpical it's easier to do this. Also, I personally put the elliptical on a level 15 or 16 setting and then put it on random (most often). Other people might always use a level 20 and keep it at hill, or someone else may keep it at a level 3 and stay there for the duration of the workout. It all comes to different levels of calories burned.

For example: for my last physical readiness test I chose to do my cardio portion on the elliptical. I weighed in at 158lbs that day, I put the level to 16 and in 12 min I burned 161 calories. On a normal day, though, I do about 40 min of cardio and burn between 430 adn 460 calories usually.

Basically, there are a lot of factors involved when it comes to calories burned on these or any other cardio machine. As for myself, I burn about the same on both. The only thing I stay away from now is bike because, personally, I feel it's waste of time-I know that I won't burn nearly as many calories in the amount of time as I would on elliptical or treadmill.

That's cool, I'm gonna try the 16 intensity one day and 20 another and see if I can even handle it!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options

That's cool, I'm gonna try the 16 intensity one day and 20 another and see if I can even handle it!

Yeah just experiment with it. I know that there are levels that are just way too low for me now, like below a 12, and 16 is about my max right now. You want to get to a level you are comfortable with. When I first really started working out on the elliptical my chief had a basic way of figuring out what you can handle. Start at a level and try to stay there and remain at a speed of 6-8mph for at least 10 min. Obviously it's going to change if you put it on some type of hill setting.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Are heart rate monitors convenient and easy to use? Any recommendations?

Polar FT4 for the win! :drinker:

Totally agree!
  • LMDelphia
    Options
    This is interesting because it depends on A) your goals and B) your body's tendencies.
    I do HITT on the treadmill (1 min 3mph, 1 min 9mph alternating for about 20 mins). It is a hell of a workout!
    I also can do the elliptical at various inclines for 90 mins.
    The elliptical burns more just because I can do it for so long, but the treadmill is a higher quality workout here. Both are vital.
    However, the elliptical added serious bulk to my butt and thighs with high resistance. I put on muscle easily, but this was not my goal. I wanted to be smaller in these places, NOT thicker.
    So, I had to reassess my workout plan. Less resistance and longer duration for the elliptical, higher intensity for treadmill.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aimeeturner
    aimeeturner Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I was on an elliptical the majority of the time I was losing weight. Just turn up the resistance and incline if it seems too easy. I may start switching over to more running though. Running is a HELL of a workout for my legs, which I really need at the moment. I feel I've been neglecting them.

Most men do neglect their legs and tend to focus more on upper body. But a good leg workout, as you already know, is a great way to burn a ton of calories, so get back to them :wink:

To answer the original post, I work out on a machine very similar to the eliptical. It is a PreCor Cross-Trainer 100i. It has a greater range of motion for both arms and legs and the intensity is much higher than a standard eliptical. I use it because of a knee injury two years ago that keeps me from the constant impact of running. But everyone is different in what they enjoy and that is what I recommend...do what you like doing. A good HRM will give you a calorie count, which would be very similar for either exercise if the settings are adjusted properly.
  • WillieEverlearn
    WillieEverlearn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been regularly doing both--elliptical is a nice break for legs on the "off" days for running. If the elliptical workout starts to seem easy, that's the first sign I should be turning up the resistance level. Another idea: do intervals, with 1 minute at a slower pace/lower level, and 1 minute at a higher pace/higher level.
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I recommend the ones that have the 2 parts - the watch and then the band to go around your rib cage. I found mine at walmart.. super cheap. You can go to sports places and spend more.. but if you just want to know the heart rate, keep it simple.

I dont recommend the ones that are only the watch bc if it is loose/moves around, you can't get a read (obviously) and most of the time i am doing cardio... you are moving... A lot!!

Most places will honor a return or exchange so just try one and go! :)
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I like running because it's practical. I can do it even if my gym membership ends, and I also like being able to say I "run" instead of use the elliptical. Running is a natural motion, so I enjoy becoming a better runner.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    The cartilidge in my knees was smashed to tiny little pieces when i was in my teens from being hit by a truck so the only choice i have is the Elliptical unless I want to be in pain :)

I <3 the Eliiptical.
  • Strobins05
    Options

Polar FT4 for the win! :drinker:
    ^^^^Ditto!
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical just because I have a bum knee and running makes it hurt like hell. The elliptical does not bother my knee at all.
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    From what I have read , do both. Your body will get used to doing one or the other constantly . One day treadmill, another elliptical. Throw a bike ride or swim in there too. Good Luck
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just started switch days between the 2. I used to do only treadmill, but I think that they are both great for fat loss.