Beta Blockers and accurate calories burned with a HRM

Options
I am on a beta blocker for my high blood pressure. Because of it, my heart rate is always really low. When I use my heart rate monitor, it registers a low heart rate, and then the calories burned is always pretty low, I think lower than it should be. I would like to log in an accurate number. Anyone else have any problems with this?

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going with the standard MFP calories burned instead of the heart rate monitor. I'm about to take my last cardiac rehab final (for my Exercise Physiology bachelors degree) and start my internship in our local cardiac rehab department in January. In all of my training, we've been taught not to use a heart rate monitor for calorie estimates for people on medications (not just beta blockers, but others too) and not to even do an estimate of exercise intensity by heart rate like we would for the average population because it is so inaccurate due to the medications. So, I would tell you to do the same thing I will be telling my patients next month. Go by the RPE scale to judge intensity and by METs to determine calorie burns. MFP uses METs, so just go by it. ;-)
  • TWrecks1968
    TWrecks1968 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is great information. Thanks so much.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info - very helpful :)
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed to know.....thanks and I hope you did well.